Re: 500 series Sontec / GML type eq
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »
Well I took a chance and plugged in my IC's.  I was able to test all the filter channels and set them to zero and was able to do all the other calibrations perfectly.  Was pretty easy and was the funniest part.  Everything is working great, no hums, all knobs work as well as switches, etc.  This was my 6th or 7th project I built and I am really having a blast building these projects.  This was a fun one except for the knobs.  These things are a pain in the ass.  I have lifted the little knobs almost to the edge of the bigger knobs cause some of them for what ever reason are rubbing on the larger knobs causing the larger knobs to spin when they are already set,  I think I remember somebody giving some tips on getting the knobs setup properly I will just have to revisit the thread later on. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:54:24 AM by saxmonster »

jensenmann

« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2019, 04:07:29 AM »
Congrats! Pictures, or it didn´t happen  ;)
Jens
Quote from: PRR
The tubes of course don't care what frequency they distort

« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2019, 10:56:05 AM »
Congrats! Pictures, or it didn´t happen  ;)

Added a pic, lol.

ncl|usl

« Reply #383 on: March 12, 2019, 09:59:30 AM »
hello everyone
i would love to build one of this beautiful eq
where can i find the pcb and parts?
thanks
nick

kante1603

« Reply #384 on: March 12, 2019, 11:46:28 AM »
hello everyone
i would love to build one of this beautiful eq
where can i find the pcb and parts?
thanks
nick
Welcome to the forum Nick,

here we go:

http://www.thedonclassics.com/#all-kits

Have fun,

Udo,

« Reply #385 on: April 18, 2019, 03:42:44 AM »
If you just build a pair of these in stock form with +/- 12db and normal non-stepped pots, can you get away with using them in your mastering chain? I'm really wanting a pair, but they'll go into my 2-bus chain for mastering... Can you get away with it as-is? I'd rather build a pair without tweaking the design first before changing anything... But should I build them for +/- 6db if I'm planning to use them only on 2-bus? Just looking for opinions from people who have built them here already... Thanks!

ET

« Reply #386 on: May 12, 2019, 09:30:12 PM »
If you just build a pair of these in stock form with +/- 12db and normal non-stepped pots, can you get away with using them in your mastering chain? I'm really wanting a pair, but they'll go into my 2-bus chain for mastering... Can you get away with it as-is? I'd rather build a pair without tweaking the design first before changing anything... But should I build them for +/- 6db if I'm planning to use them only on 2-bus? Just looking for opinions from people who have built them here already... Thanks!

ET

Hi Earthtone,
Currently using mine for mastering with +/-6db, and the non stepped pots. Absolutely love it. You most certainly can get away "as-Is" however, you won't have much wiggle room for minute adjustments. Even when I first tried +/-12 to start I wasn't using more than 4db or so during a mix. A little really went a long way.

I am tempted to try adding stepped pots in a different enclosure... but I'm so happy with the non stepped version that I don't foresee myself investing in that adjustment for a while.

Best,
Brian

Rogy

« Reply #387 on: May 30, 2019, 04:08:54 AM »

You can make the single bands‘ gain/cut switchable between say +/- 6 or +/- 12dB,it is just one resistor per band.

Udo.

Hello Udo, Could you explain this in a little more detail?

[Ah, found it on Pg14, post 276: @qmp audio - Yes +-6dB is possible..  easiest way on this unit would probably be to swap out all the R69s for 51k..  ]

I have four of these EQ's, and I'm super happy with them (using them for live sound work like you), but would love to limit their gain to +/-6dB per band for finer resolution on the gain pots.

Many thanks!

Best,
Rogy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:01:30 PM by Rogy »

« Reply #388 on: July 17, 2019, 10:12:34 PM »
http://www.thedonclassics.com/250eq-diy.html it is still available? I can place ordere? )

Does anyone know maybe there is a rack version?

Is it possible to buy two kit's and make the rack version yourself? Got instructions?

Thank' you very much all, who help )

Sorry for english)