500 series Sontec / GML type eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeromeMason said:
I'm currently working on this as well with the US dist.  Simple part # prompted some questions back so they may not be familiar with these. If I find something out before the other fella I will post.

Cheers.

This is the response I just got.... is this what we should expect to hear or is something not right?

"This should do it.  I will let you know if any confusion remains.
Please keep in mind that these are not a stock item.  They are built to order and we can expect about 8 weeks for the entire process."

JeromeMason said:
JeromeMason said:
I'm currently working on this as well with the US dist.  Simple part # prompted some questions back so they may not be familiar with these. If I find something out before the other fella I will post.

Cheers.

This is the response I just got.... is this what we should expect to hear or is something not right?

Please keep in mind that these are not a stock item.  They are built to order and we can expect about 8 weeks for the entire process."

I was told 4 weeks lead time on two separate occasions and each time they arrived much faster.  Having a look at an older email.. 
I ordered 10 pots on 4th Feb and they were in the post to me on the 11th Feb.  A second order to a friend was around the same time frame I believe.     

So at least in these two cases it was much faster..  as they're hand made custom pots, the lead time will probably vary depending on how many orders they have on at the one time.. 
Certainly worth it though..  handmade British pots just gives a diy project and its user that warm fuzzy feeling inside...  ;)   

JeromeMason said:
JeromeMason said:

Cheers.

I haven't heard back from them yet. They'll probably tell me the same thing. Did they quote a price?

Not a price, since they are custom anything under 100 pieces has to be quoted by Omeg. What if we pooled and did a group buy with the US distrib? Maybe get a break too? That would be 10 stereo units. Not sure how many in the US have bought, but I sent an email asking about it. Could bring the time down as well.

I am interested in the US group buy for the pots, can someone clarify if this is for pots not included in the kit ( and the kit should be ordered WITH the center-tap pots)?
I would much rather get a higher quality unit, Omeg is not top quality, but most likely nothing else would fit ...

nielsk said:
I am interested in the US group buy for the pots, can someone clarify if this is for pots not included in the kit ( and the kit should be ordered WITH the center-tap pots)?
I would much rather get a higher quality unit, Omeg is not top quality, but most likely nothing else would fit ...

If I can make a group buy happen I am going to try to get them 1.) Cheaper and 2.) Faster.

David designed this EQ with those pots in mind I'm sure, and there's not a whole lot of folks I place absolute trust in regarding 100% faithful recreations in the 500 format, but David is one of them. If these are the pots he says get, then I know that's what I'm getting.

The specs for the pot are in the part number he listed, you should be able to contact another dealer that you feel is higher quality and I assume they can custom build the pots for you. I'm sure David can guide you much better than I can regarding that, but I'm only doing the group through Omeg. I hope to know something tomorrow morning.

I've always been impressed with Omeg pots and have seen them recommended for years on here..  have you had issues in the past?  Is it the metal versions you're not a fan of or the green plastic style pots?  I'm not sure how their green pastic ones stack up but the 16mm metal pots, I've always been impressed with.  The main thing I like in this case is the sturdiness of the turn..  The thing I hate about dual concentrics is when it's too easy to rotate the wrong shaft by accident.  This doesn't happen with the Omegs. 

Interested to hear your opinion on them.. 

If you wanted to go a different route, with a different footprint pot, there's a lot of space so you can flip the pot over so the legs face up and then wire it to the board..  The best thing about DIY is doing things how you want, so it's certainly possible!    Or if it's a rack version..  you can always use separate pots rather than dual concentric of course for more choices.. 

(PS. confirmation.. yes this group buy is for the dual concentrics..    not the centre tap pots) 
The centre tap pots are the main tricky thing to get in small quantities so I'd recommend getting them along with the PCBs.. 

nielsk said:
BTW, the LDR on the in/out switching is pretty interesting, I take it this version does not employ it?

Yes the circuit originally uses an LDR initially to bypass the EQ and then after a delay, the relay closes & shorts it over..  this would give a lower click.  Used mainly for mastering while changing EQs on the fly I believe. 

I've used the relay only and the click doesn't even meter on ProTools so is at least below -70dBFS

Hi everyone.. 
Don't kill me but I completely underestimated the initial first day surge and have run out of knobs..  I've got more arriving in 10 days and so they'll be back on sale then.. 

If you're ordering without knobs, then that's ok..  but for everyone else..  Huge apologies..

Or if you prefer I can send orders in two packages..  so you can have it built by the time I send the knobs in a couple of weeks..    If you email me then I can do that..  (I've stopped the paypal button for the time being)    That way they'll probably arrive at the same time as the Omeg pots anyway.. 

onlymeeee said:
I've always been impressed with Omeg pots and have seen them recommended for years on here..  have you had issues in the past?  Is it the metal versions you're not a fan of or the green plastic style pots?  I'm not sure how their green pastic ones stack up but the 16mm metal pots, I've always been impressed with.  The main thing I like in this case is the sturdiness of the turn..  The thing I hate about dual concentrics is when it's too easy to rotate the wrong shaft by accident.  This doesn't happen with the Omegs. 

Interested to hear your opinion on them.. 

If you wanted to go a different route, with a different footprint pot, there's a lot of space so you can flip the pot over so the legs face up and then wire it to the board..  The best thing about DIY is doing things how you want, so it's certainly possible!    Or if it's a rack version..  you can always use separate pots rather than dual concentric of course for more choices.. 

(PS. confirmation.. yes this group buy is for the dual concentrics..    not the centre tap pots) 
The centre tap pots are the main tricky thing to get in small quantities so I'd recommend getting them along with the PCBs..

Allow me to chime in here on the Omeg pots.  I have used them in my 4K5 and 9K5 builds, and the quality is OK, but not like JAN spec Allen Bradleys.  I have probably bought 50 or so of the single, dual, and triple versions from AudioMaintance with about a 10% failure rate after a month or so.  All of the failures were intermittent. Colin being the gem of a person that he is has replaced ALL of the defective pots for me, and that's one reason I keep buying stuff from him.  I wonder what the factory will do, or what hoops will have to be jumped through if any of these "special order" pots get weird.
My $0.02.  YMMV.
Best,
Bruno2000

That's strange to hear.  5 pots failing out of 50?  That's incredible.  Were Omeg spoken to?  What was their stance?  What kind of failures? 

A friend & I are up to 60 pots now being used for a couple months currently and not had a failure.. 

There was one where they'd forgotten to close the clips around the legs properly and so it didn't make a connection but a quick bend with needle nosed pliers sorted it..  (human errors like this can certainly happen with handmade pots.. )

OK this is from the US dist. Yeah I'd say buying in group is an absolute!

"So we have everything worked out on our end.
Delivery times will be 5 to 6 weeks from firm purchase order
That is with us flying everything in via FedEx
Omeg is aware and familiar with this project, but these are always built to order.  There aren’t any in stock anywhere.

10-24 pieces =US$49.95 each
25-49 pieces =US$39.95 each
50-99 pieces =US$24.95 each
100-249 pieces =US$17.95 each
250-499 pieces =US$14.95 each

These prices are for FOB from our Arlington Heights IL warehouse.  Vimex absorbs FedEx/US Customs/Delivery charges
So additional cost to each buyer for approx. 10 pieces each is say $10.00 UPS charge

We will accept orders with a 20% deposit.  Balance would be due the day we ship from Illinois
We will be accepting payments via Visa or MasterCard
The parts are considered custom, so there is a no cancel no return policy (except for defective goods)

If you are going to try and get best pricing for everyone we would not place the order with Omeg until all orders were firm and deposits received.  So if there are multiple buyers some co-ordination would be helpful"

Latest posts

Back