500 series Sontec / GML type eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
onlymeeee said:
That's strange to hear.  5 pots failing out of 50?  That's incredible.  Were Omeg spoken to?  What was their stance?  What kind of failures? 

A friend & I are up to 60 pots now being used for a couple months currently and not had a failure.. 

There was one where they'd forgotten to close the clips around the legs properly and so it didn't make a connection but a quick bend with needle nosed pliers sorted it..  (human errors like this can certainly happen with handmade pots.. )

I have no idea if Colin contacted Omeg or not.  He probably buys hundreds at a time, and just shipped replacements to me.  These failures were usually after they had been in service for a bit.  In some of the failures, the wiper seemed to lift off of the resistive trace at a certain point in rotation.  I say "lift off" because the specified resistance was still there between the outer pins.  Another failure I observed was an intermittent connection between the pin and the resistive element.  Now, I must say that most of this happened several years ago, but only last week I had to replace an Omeg pot in a new 9K5 build that a friend was having trouble with.
Again........YMMV
Best,
Bruno2000

JeromeMason said:
OK this is from the US dist. Yeah I'd say buying in group is an absolute!

"So we have everything worked out on our end.
Delivery times will be 5 to 6 weeks from firm purchase order
That is with us flying everything in via FedEx
Omeg is aware and familiar with this project, but these are always built to order.  There aren’t any in stock anywhere.

10-24 pieces =US$49.95 each
25-49 pieces =US$39.95 each
50-99 pieces =US$24.95 each
100-249 pieces =US$17.95 each
250-499 pieces =US$14.95 each

These prices are for FOB from our Arlington Heights IL warehouse.  Vimex absorbs FedEx/US Customs/Delivery charges
So additional cost to each buyer for approx. 10 pieces each is say $10.00 UPS charge

We will accept orders with a 20% deposit.  Balance would be due the day we ship from Illinois
We will be accepting payments via Visa or MasterCard
The parts are considered custom, so there is a no cancel no return policy (except for defective goods)

If you are going to try and get best pricing for everyone we would not place the order with Omeg until all orders were firm and deposits received.  So if there are multiple buyers some co-ordination would be helpful"

Wow!~ On the DON website, he says

"• Firstly you can buy the dual concentric pots from Omeg.  The part number is:
"PC3C16BU 100KCx2-FRONT-OUTER x 4K7A, Bush C, Spindle M16 L1=30mm L2=19.5mm"

They only have a minimum order of 10, so perfect for a stereo pair!
You can email the very friendly Margaret at:
[email protected]
They're around £14 each.. 

That's about $22 US a pop.  The quote you got was for almost $50 each?  I say forget the US distributor.
Best,
Bruno2000

If it's easier for you guys, I don't mind ordering direct from here and then shipping them to one person stateside or individually depending on what you'd prefer. 

I pay about £14 each for 10 pots.  exc shipping 

I'm assuming everyone in Europe is doing ok with Omeg?  You can deal direct too I believe?

onlymeeee said:
If it's easier for you guys, I don't mind ordering direct from here and then shipping them to one person stateside or individually depending on what you'd prefer. 

I pay about £14 each for 10 pots.  exc shipping 

I'm assuming everyone in Europe is doing ok with Omeg?  You can deal direct too I believe?

I honestly believe that would be the best way... and you could even pool it on your side David.... if we could get you enough for 100 of them maybe it'd be cheaper from Omeg to you??

No worries.. in the morning I'll get quotes for 1 set, 5 sets and 10 sets from Omeg..   
That way you can order either individually or in a group of 5 or a group of 10. 

Hey everyone, so I've come up with a plan..  I'm still waiting to work out exact costs..  but I believe I can offer individual shipping and 10 pots Stateside for the £14 each including the shipping..  And even less if you didn't mind slower shipping..
That way, I can ship to everyone individually and if there's any issues, I can deal with it myself rather than one of you nice people getting the complaint if a parcel has gone awry with a groupbuy or something of the like!

I've got to run out now.. but hope that's ok.. if I knew that Omeg weren't really set up for international shipping the way I thought, I'd have sorted something earlier.. 

PS.. I've already ordered 10 sets that they can be getting on with..

PPS.  Everyone's kits are now dispatched / on route.. 

Hi everyone.
I was wondering if it´s too  complicated to make the gain 6db instead of 12?
I think it would be more precise and useful for mix/bus duties.
Maybe change a couple of resistors here and there, or it needs different pot values too?
Thx a lot

pachi2007 said:
Hi everyone.
I was wondering if it´s too  complicated to make the gain 6db instead of 12?
I think it would be more precise and useful for mix/bus duties.
Maybe change a couple of resistors here and there, or it needs different pot values too?
Thx a lot

If you look on the original schematic there is R42 and R48 each 100 ohm to each side of the pot that is the level control. Increasing these will decease the +/- gain per band, they work as a divider in conjunction with the level pot. You would need to either simulate or measure an actual unit to determine the correct values.

Note: This may also impact the DC servo.

Thanks a lot John.
I´m looking for DC servo info to find out what you mean.
Is it like... if you put a sine wave through it the waveform wouldn´t be centered anymore with respect to the horizontal axis?
Like a offset?
Slowly learning here  :)

The servo takes the place of an ac coupling capacitor to remove dc offset (no vertical offset in a sine wave).

Mostly likely it won't matter. I just bring it up because most dc servos are connected to the output of an opamp. Here it goes through the 100 ohm resistor, which will now be changed to 10k or 20k  or whatever it needs to be to get  the 6db desired gain range. So a solution could be to connect R49 to other side of R48, of its even am issue at all.

Also you would need to figure out which parts on the board correspond to the original schematic.

I see there being 3 ways of doing this.. 

You could as stated change R42 / R48 up to around 7k5 ish..

Or possibly tweak R61 / R62.. 

I'd be inclined to try and change the R69 resistors up to 47k..   

JeromeMason said:
JeromeMason said:
For DOA's I wonder how these would do for the Sontech??

http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model995FET-Ticha.html

David ^^^^^

What do you think?

Ah yes I saw those when I was looking up suitable DOAs and they seem like they'd work great but I wasn't able to find any reviews or anything from anyone I don't think..  but they certainly look promising..   

onlymeeee said:
JeromeMason said:
JeromeMason said:
For DOA's I wonder how these would do for the Sontech??

http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model995FET-Ticha.html

David ^^^^^

What do you think?

Ah yes I saw those when I was looking up suitable DOAs and they seem like they'd work great but I wasn't able to find any reviews or anything from anyone I don't think..  but they certainly look promising.. 

They had a white market thread here once, but didn't get much attention. Looks nice!
I use some of PPA's 992 and they are really sweet!

C'mon get those knobs in so I can spend some money before my upcoming divorce kicks in
and I'll be broke for a long time to come ;)

Cheers
//Magnus

Back