500 series Sontec / GML type eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr Gris said:
onlymeeee said:
JeromeMason said:
JeromeMason said:
For DOA's I wonder how these would do for the Sontech??

http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model995FET-Ticha.html

David ^^^^^

What do you think?

Ah yes I saw those when I was looking up suitable DOAs and they seem like they'd work great but I wasn't able to find any reviews or anything from anyone I don't think..  but they certainly look promising.. 

They had a white market thread here once, but didn't get much attention. Looks nice!
I use some of PPA's 992 and they are really sweet!

C'mon get those knobs in so I can spend some money before my upcoming divorce kicks in
and I'll be broke for a long time to come ;)

Cheers
//Magnus

;)  No worries..  I put my order in just before the cut off deadline for their latest batch so shouldn't be too long to wait..  If I'd have not read their email before lunchtime that day I'd have had to wait til September apparently!

Received my kits yesterday, they look great! BOM is on the way... Some of the switches were back ordered but should be back in stock this week.  ;)

Good news...  The new batch of knobs arrived and so all is back on sale again!

(For those stateside, needing the Omeg pots from me.. no sign of the "they're dispatched" email yet, but will keep you informed.. 

onlymeeee said:
Good news...  The new batch of knobs arrived and so all is back on sale again!

(For those stateside, needing the Omeg pots from me.. no sign of the "they're dispatched" email yet, but will keep you informed..

Can't wait, as its all thats holding me back.

Is there an ideal scenario with the voltage rails ?
I have an 51x Rack.
I don't understand the explanation of the choices, the manual says:

"Why the choice? Two main reasons... using discrete opamps at a higher voltage. And to use less loaded rails of a full lunchbox"

So, is it better to run DOAs on 24 V ? Better how ?
And what are less loaded rails in this scenario ? When I use both rails ? 

and another question ? Can I use my "regular" DOAs ? Like Gar 2520 etc ? The layout has 5 pins on one side, which confuses me a bit . Maybe the original 250 had DOAs with 5 pins ? But the regular DOAs fit in, I used one to solder the millmaxes.

thanks
Andreas

I believe its because some DOAs prefer higher voltages (more headroom??) and are rated at 24v that might work really well in this application while others are rated at 16v and would be unusuable in a 51x rack but obviously fine in a 'regular' 500 series.
DOA's also can consume a good deal of power.
Furthermore DOA's can have a significant impact on circuits and they all do a little something different.  That said I believe he is just giving everyone lots of options to use.
I believe the 5th pin spot (but i am definitely not sure) is to give builders more DOA options. For example; iirc 'red dots' only have 3 pins on one side.

This is for 2 kits I ordered and received.
I just received a bill from UPS for duties to be paid for "Customs"
I've been ordering kits from all over the world for years and have never
received a bill or paid anything for CUSTOMS.
What's up is this legit?

Winetree said:
This is for 2 kits I ordered and received.
I just received a bill from UPS for duties to be paid for "Customs"
I've been ordering kits from all over the world for years and have never
received a bill or paid anything for CUSTOMS.
What's up is this legit?

I just received one too. I also had to give a check to ups on delivery for a package from pcbgrinder a couple of weeks ago. Something has changed as I too haven't received bills in the past.

That's UPS, in my experience there is always a customs charge receiving International shipments via them.
Never a charge when items are sent using the postal service... and the shipping cost is usually much less.

I agree with the above statements. I will ship more expensive slower postal service any day if I can avoid UPS. Hate them with a passion. They will show up at your door with a package and sometimes demand 40% of the value in surprise brokerage fees and duty. Dont pay them ! Its extortion... Showing up at my door with an unknown fees that I didn't agree too upfront. 

FedEx and Purolator are alright. Postal service is best to avoid unexpected custom fees.

Hey guys, hey David if you are listening in,

I´m almost finished with my build - besides waiting for the OMEG Pots off course.

Some small issues thogh:

The relay that I received when ordering the mouser cart wasn´t the right one. I does have a different footprint. A bummer, since now I have to order one single part and have to pay 20,- postage fees.

Does anybody have the correct part number of the relay?

Then for the different Voltage Options. Can´t we cut out the technical discussion and just get a recommendation for the best (best meaning: detailed and open sounding) DOA for this unit and then wire the thing accordingly to the needs of that DOA?

So, is there any DOA that we can agree that would be the best thing to put into this unit?

Besides those issues, fun build. Soldering a bit tricky sometimes.

Thanks guys!

Wow.. never had any issues with UPS before..  I used to use FedEx, a couple of years ago, but then I started to get these problems and then switched to UPS, which stopped problems like this.  Now it appears they've started to charge duty.  I don't mind shipping normal post, but would they not be the same? 

How much was charged?  According to this duty tax, it should be 0% charge if they class it as audio recording equipment..  or 2.6% if classed as an effects pedal.
http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/194411981/
However then they always put a fee on top for "handling".  It's a ridiculous practice.  Does anyone know if it's easy to set up so I pay the customs tax my end and so it's only the 2% or whatever, without the UPS fee.  Or if I can be more specific with the wording on the customs form to ensure it's 0% tax?  It seems quite hit and miss
Was everyone charged the same amount?
__

In regards to the relay, I used that relay the other day on a build and although it needed a little finesse, it slotted in fine as it's only a mm difference..  Just a small bend of the legs.
I've since updated the BOM with the 653-G6K-2P-Y-DC12 which will fit perfectly.. 
DOA wise, and voltage rails wise, I'm not sure there is one that is universally accepted as being the best.. so it will be case of either trying some out and deciding..  or I recommend building it the way I have done with OPA134 ICs.. 
In regards to voltage rails..  again if you have no personal preference, I'd do it 500 series so you can use it in other 500 series lunchboxes.    It's as good a reason as a any!

___

Trench Recordings said:
I agree with the above statements. I will ship more expensive slower postal service any day if I can avoid UPS. Hate them with a passion. They will show up at your door with a package and sometimes demand 40% of the value in surprise brokerage fees and duty. Dont pay them ! Its extortion... Showing up at my door with an unknown fees that I didn't agree too upfront. 

FedEx and Purolator are alright. Postal service is best to avoid unexpected custom fees.

Two years ago I had a large order ($3k) of electronic parts delivered from UK.  8 MONTHS later, I got a bill from FedEx for $800 for customs & fees.  When I complained (loudly), they dropped the issue.
Hit up their FaceBook page.  You'll probably get results.
Best,
Bruno2000

UPS Custom Fees;
Duty Class:                          85.18.50.0000
Discription of goods:      Audio Amplifier Electronics DIY Kit
Entered value:                  $257.58
Tariff rate:                            4.90%
Amount:                                $12.64
Disbursement Fee:        $7.00
Total:                                      $19.64
Should I pay pay them?        If not what could happen?    I'm not on Facebook.

Latest posts

Back