500 series Sontec / GML type eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winetree said:
UPS Custom Fees;
Duty Class:                          85.18.50.0000
Discription of goods:      Audio Amplifier Electronics DIY Kit
Entered value:                  $257.58
Tariff rate:                            4.90%
Amount:                                $12.64
Disbursement Fee:        $7.00
Total:                                      $19.64
Should I pay pay them?        If not what could happen?    I'm not on Facebook.

Well I did not pay my UPS fees on transformers from Audio Maintenance. Got 2 bills, then nothing. I still receive packages through UPS.

The kits I bought from David did not incur any fees.

The harmonized code is fine (TARIC)
The value is fine.
The tariff rate looks ok (in Germany between 3-5%).
The Disbursement Fee is low (I pay - value independent - EUR 12,00 at Fedex, and EUR 12,00 at DHL, don't know UPS).
They do the paper work for you, and have to pay the customs fee upfront.
In Germany there would be additional 19% VAT for everything together (import value + shipping costs + custom fee).

So - this is quite normal, for me for importing from outside the EU, on your site it will be from outside the US?

The only monster stories I've heard of personally have been FedEx actually..  With extortionate charges..  I've always been impressed with UPS.. But obviously it's going to vary country to country. 
Here in UK if we order anything from outside EU, we pay 20% on everything for VAT.. and then whatever "charges" the shipping company adds on top. Very rarely does something get through without charges..  however USA it seemed to be the other way.. very rarely were there charges.. perhaps this is now a nationwide change across the board?

Those charges don't look too bad..  It's the additional fee that normally bothers me but it seems it's only 7USD in this case which is less than royal mail charge going the other way here. (they charge £8) 

The other fees, I guess they may have started to cut down on letting smaller items go through uncharged perhaps now?  It's a tax though right?  So goes towards the country?  Far easier to stomach than a monstrous FedEx 'Additional Handling Surcharge' bill..  At lease that's what I tell myself when I pay the 20% every time I have to import something!

Nearly finished with my build !
small things:
What happens with Ccomp4 TBC and complc5 TBC  12pF caps ? are they optional ?  they aren't installed in the pics.
You can read the bom in column G as: Compensation cap for audio amps if using DOA

there are holes for L1 and L2 ? not used ?

C18 has 2 plus signs on the pcb, which confused me a bit, but now I found out, that it's non/bi/polar

the values for shelf 1/2 are 357 and 4k7, the pcb says 420 and 5k

I went with configuration B, as I'm using it in my 51X Rack
It's a lot to solder but everything is very clear and straightforward.

Winetree said:
UPS Custom Fees;

I just got a bill for the exact same amount......

L1 & L2, will be used for different things depending on the voltage set up you use, so in your case of B, they'll be jumpered...    (Originally I called them L1/L2 in case any extra filtering was needed for the filter section but all good as is.. 

Yes the 357R drops the voltage rail for the relay coil..  The relay isn't too fussy about getting the exact voltage it needs, so a few values will work..    357 will give it 12.35V if fed from a 16V rail.  If 420 is used it'll be 11.87V.
The 5k is used to make the feel of switching the high shelf in, more natural.. (when going from sharp Q bell.. to shelf..      It can be tweaked to anything from 5k to 0ohms if you prefer ! 

The compensation caps are there depending on the opamps you use, if you need them if you're opamps oscillate etc etc..  12pF value was a rough 'go to' value.. 

JeromeMason said:
Winetree said:
UPS Custom Fees;

I just got a bill for the exact same amount......

Just got a bill yesterday as well. What's the consensus? Are people paying these bills?

Hmmm.... I can't relate to your problems but " the other way around" it's always the same with both
UPS and Fedex. They take care of custom fees and VAT and I have to pay them for doing so.
My biggest problem is that UPS simply can't deliver to me. I don' t work at my home adress and the option
to change the delivery adress never works....so my package will probably be sent back or " if I'm lucky"
I can make them keep it at their local facility for me to pick it up.
And that's an one hour drive from here...
Either way I didn't know that it was shipped with UPS and don't have any shipping info...trackin number
and so forth so I can't even try to get my package, maybe it's already returned???
Now what do I do???

Cheers
//Magnus

Dr Gris said:
Hmmm.... I can't relate to your problems but " the other way around" it's always the same with both
UPS and Fedex. They take care of custom fees and VAT and I have to pay them for doing so.
My biggest problem is that UPS simply can't deliver to me. I don' t work at my home adress and the option
to change the delivery adress never works....so my package will probably be sent back or " if I'm lucky"
I can make them keep it at their local facility for me to pick it up.
And that's an one hour drive from here...
Either way I didn't know that it was shipped with UPS and don't have any shipping info...trackin number
and so forth so I can't even try to get my package, maybe it's already returned???
Now what do I do???

Cheers
//Magnus

Just emailed you with all tracking details.. for some reason the tracking number wasn't sent to you like they normally automatically are.. 
Did they not leave a card through the door? 
I'm getting in touch with UPS now to see if we can change the delivery address... 

I was in contact with UPS today and for the first time things went smooth and they were friendly.
They're gonna try to deliver it to me at my work tomorrow.
Thanks for your support!!

Cheers
//Magnus

Yep. They even throw in an extra $30 here in Canada for 'brokerage' of your duty free item which nine times out of ten they'll get the wrong tariff code for.

Call UPS and complain, tell them you didn't authorize them to clear the package and they didn't give you the option to do it yourself and you're not going to pay the brokerage fee. They will refund it in most cases.

If you let it go, they will sick a collection agency on you, but will gladly deliver more packages.

NEVER Ship international packages by UPS,  always use the postal service.

Winetree said:
This is for 2 kits I ordered and received.
I just received a bill from UPS for duties to be paid for "Customs"
What's up is this legit?

Ok thanks for speaking up of us Canadians Biasrocks. I though I was the only crazy one here. UPS broker fees are definitely much high here in Canada compared to UPS USA rates/fees.

I have gone to the extent of importing my own packages with my business number. Also know as "self-clearing". Its a couple hours of my time and I have to drive to the nearest Customs CBSA Office and pay the taxes/duty directly. But usually I get away with 5% GST tax on the value and that's it. This process will slow down your delivery date but you will save money compared to UPS Brokerage.

Postal service is good because most times the packages clear without any taxes or duty simply because the customs offices doesn't have time to process every package. If the postal service/customs office does decide to process your package, the fees/taxes are less than UPS. But it is slower... sometimes things get stuck in customs.

Finished !
Got my 2 running and they sound brilliant  ! Everything went so cool with this build, really fantastic.

One thing to consider: I choose for the voltage rails variation B, 24V for the DOAs and 16 V for the rest.
But I have only one power supply at home , where I can have 24 OR 16V, so now I have to build a +-16V supply to do a proper calibration.
At home, I tried to run with only 16V connected, which worked with a lot of hum and a very low signal.
I could calibrate the filter section @ R70
I couldn't calibrate R83 TPS1 and2. Meter showed 0V and trimming R83 in either direction changed nothing.

Is there a way to calibrate the unit with only 16 or 24 V ?

thank you so much,  David, for making this possible ! I'm a true fan of your work

Ordered my pots 13:th of august, were told they would despatch week 38, but they despatched today  :D
Now if I could only find my package from UPS....

Cheers
//Magnus

Great work Kosi! Love to hear of units being completed!  And thanks for the kind words!

In regards to your R83 calibration... 

Did you have EQ in?  It needs to be on bypass for this adjustment.  Other adjustments can be in either setting..

No words on the pots for me yet, but perhaps they're a little busier than I expected with the European orders put in before mine..  Will let you know when I get my "dispatched" email..  sounds like pots are making their way out of Omeg now.. 

Today I threw together a 16 V psu and with both voltages connected, it was no problem adjusting R83.

Both perform flawless !

My pots shipped yesterday, I´m expecting them on monday. Can´t wait to finish this unit!

As I received the wrong relays, I guess other builders might have too, cause they used the same BOM.

Did anyone figure out how to mount those? They have two more pins than the footprint on the PSU, also they are larger than the needed part…

A photo of your builds would be very helpful! Thanks guys!

I used the alternative relais from the BOM, which is
653-G6K-2P-Y-DC12
this has 8 legs.
They had a slightly different spacing, but with a little bending, it was no problem inserting them.

Back