500 series Sontec / GML type eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[silent:arts] said:
JeromeMason said:
Got kind of an issue here, the throw on the band gain is pretty much a dead on -12db, but I'm only getting about 2.5 db on full.

At what level? Lover the input level. You might just clip either the EQ or the following equipment ;-)

-18dbfs is what I'm running into it. It'll cut -12db but will only boost +2.5db.

onlymeeee said:
I'm assuming everyone in Europe is doing ok with Omeg?  You can deal direct too I believe?

I can confirm it.Received a quotation from them,in GBP it is 12,76- each (set of 10),shipping to germany is 12,-,plus VAT (20%).
Estimated manufacturing time is 3-4 weeks.
Waiting for the order confirmation/invoice now.

Best,

Udo.

I ordered my 10 Omeg pots last week, estimated manufacturing time was 3-4 weeks  but I received them yesterday.

Happy times.

Kits received today,that was really fast,thank you very much indeed David!
Mouser order came in yesterday,good timing so far,no?

Best,

Udo.

Edit:Ridiculous questions removed,that was not my day.

Hi!
I'm planning to buy a pair of these and rack them. 2U is ok for those wide 500 serie, right?
As I'm going to make a PSU for those babies, what do you suggest for voltages?    +/-16 V?    +/-24 V?
What about OpAmps, what would you suggest?
Finally, as I'm going to make a custom front panel, is it possible to share your front panel file for freq and level scale, cut out etc...?
Thanks!
Best,

Ben

All good! Sorry, I've not been receiving emails to let me know of new posts in this thread for some reason..

If you're racking them, then yes 2u will be fine.. 

If you email me, I can offer just the PCBs..  (or with pots.. or whatever you need)

I'll upload a recall sheet when I get a chance later this evening, with some dimensions detail to assist with racking them... 

Having these in a rack would be pretty cool. You could also make it 3U and separate out the Q controls. At that point you could use any pots as well and just run leads to the PCBs.

onlymeeee said:
All good! Sorry, I've not been receiving emails to let me know of new posts in this thread for some reason..

If you're racking them, then yes 2u will be fine.. 

If you email me, I can offer just the PCBs..  (or with pots.. or whatever you need)

I'll upload a recall sheet when I get a chance later this evening, with some dimensions detail to assist with racking them...

That would be great, thanks a lot! I'll emailed you soon.

john12ax7 said:
Having these in a rack would be pretty cool. You could also make it 3U and separate out the Q controls. At that point you could use any pots as well and just run leads to the PCBs.
I'll stay with David's layout, except maybe for the bypass switch. In a rack situation it would be more convenient if the 2 were side by side.

Hi

Im measuring 40 volts on the 5 IC sockets facing the gold fingers.. The 5 ic's facing the front plate measure 17v ..

And 50 volts on the two doa's ic's
And the third one above 40 v again..

Anyone knows how to get correct value here?

(Hook up plan C )

Thx

Another pair up and running here.
Thank you David for this wonderful project!

Best regards,

Udo.

Attachments

• GDY Pic.JPG
    GDY Pic.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 216
Top work!  Love seeing units built!

I've uploaded a recall sheet here

And also, I had another batch of omeg dual concentric pots delivered so now can offer them with the kits, to save the hassle of purchasing from Omeg..  I've added the option to the website (refresh if no option shows up)  http://www.thedonclassics.com/250eq_diy.html

Hi David,

Kits arrived today, thank you very much for your support, it's top notch!!!

One question: as I'm planning to put them in a 2U rack I'd like to move the "bell/shelf" switches off the L-bracket. Would it be a problem? Would there be a limitation as for the wires length? Thanks.

best

Ben

onlymeeee said:
The compensation caps are there depending on the opamps you use, if you need them if you're opamps oscillate etc etc..  12pF value was a rough 'go to' value..

Hi there,

Just to clarify things: I should start without compensation caps, right? In this case, should I put a jumper or simply leave them?
Thanks guys for your input.

Ben

Back