500 series Sontec / GML type eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have issues with the little round head screws?  They seem to be to short to reach the plastic standoffs through thr pcb. 

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 83
qmp audio said:
Anyone have issues with the little round head screws?  They seem to be to short to reach the plastic standoffs through thr pcb.
Yes,they're too short.
I swapped them out.

Best regards,

Udo.

That's strange..  Is it all of them?
It's the same screw/standoff combination I've used on all my stuff for years.. 
I normally loosely fit all screws in all holes as I line the PCB up..  then do a final tighten on all... 

What size did you move up to? 3/16" ?

onlymeeee said:
It's the same screw/standoff combination I've used on all my stuff for years.. 
I normally loosely fit all screws in all holes as I line the PCB up..  then do a final tighten on all... 

What size did you move up to? 3/16" ?
Hello David,
swapping was meant I changed them with the others normally used at the bracket bottom.The others definetely do just reach the thread of the stand off so I was not able to make them securely  seated,even not a single rotation was possible.Due to the "angle" of the others and seaming to be a tad longer it worked.Not nice but o.k.
I might want to swap the hole construction to metric (M3) because I'm not familiar with those imperial screws.I do have all these screws in nearly any size/length in my workshop,but sadly metric only.
Maybe the stand offs have changed?As said they have an "entrance with a "guide" before the thread starts.
Hope to have helped,

best regards,

Udo.

onlymeeee said:

I was not able to get any of the screws catch the threads of the plastic standoffs.    I had no problem w/ the metal standoff. 
I have some long 4-40 screws.  I plan to dremel them down to length and use those.  Haven't had a chance yet due to recording schedules... but that and calibration is all I have left.  I'm really looking forward to hearing these.

kante1603 said:
qmp audio said:
Yes,they're too short.
I swapped them out.

Best regards,

Udo.

Yep, same issue here. I've swapped 2 of them with longer M3 screws.

dribro said:
Hi David.

What's the availability of the kits?  I'm going after two!
Hi,

have you looked at his homepage?Everything seems to be available:

http://www.thedonclassics.com/products_diy.html#250eq_diy.html

Best regards,

Udo.

Shure did, as i already knew his site. I'm only asking as the availability of kits take some time to pack, even if the site reports immediate availability. But i'd better get there, then, if all's good.

dribro said:
Shure did, as i already knew his site. I'm only asking as the availability of kits take some time to pack, even if the site reports immediate availability. But i'd better get there, then, if all's good.
I see.
My orders went pretty fast.

Cheers,

Udo.

RE: screws...  Thanks for letting me know everyone..
I received a new batch of screws today slightly longer in size which now rectifies this..

It's a strange one.. I think the last batch I ordered were ever so slightly smaller than normal..  shame as I bought my usual large batch of them! 

Is everyone who bought a kit ok with screws or do you need me to send some?  Or if you can find some locally, they are #4-40 thread and 3/16" length that you will need..

onlymeeee said:
Is everyone who bought a kit ok with screws or do you need me to send some?

Thanks,  I was able to grab a handful of 3/16" 4-40 from my dad's shop.
I finished everything up,  calibrated,  did some quick listening tests.  sounds amazing. 

I would be interested in modifying for +-6db instead of 12.  There was some talk about it somewhere in this thread... is that just a resistor swap?

onlymeeee said:
Is everyone who bought a kit ok with screws or do you need me to send some?  Or if you can find some locally, they are #4-40 thread and 3/16" length that you will need..
All good here,thank you!

Best regards,

Udo.

I haven't started building my two kits yet, but I would love to have the right screws sent to me.

Regards
John Rönnerblad

No worries Monoklang..  will post out today.  I've saved your address, so you can remove it now if you wish..

@qmp audio - Yes +-6dB is possible..  easiest way on this unit would probably be to swap out all the R69s for 51k.. 

Hey there!

I got two of those bad boys finished and running for a few months now. The screws were fitting perfectly in my kits.

Thanks for putting this project together, these EQs sound absolutely amazing!

Regards,
Mathias

Attachments

• IMG_20160121_131031.jpg
    IMG_20160121_131031.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 118
Just ordered a pair. Had a Sontec 250EX but sold it regretfully. Hope these can get that transparency back. I have a 51x rack and some DOA for 24v. What would the best option be here? Do 24v rails give more headroom? Would it be the same if I used 24v rails only on the discreet DOAs? What are others using?

Hi folks!

Finally, after weeks of being too busy, I have finished my unit. Thanks a lot to David for bringing this amazing project and to Udo for his very kind and helpful support!!!
Here's some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20160121_171031.jpg
    IMG_20160121_171031.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 154

Latest posts

Back