500 series Sontec / GML type eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evilcat said:
Thanks Udo!
Yes I have OMEGs, it's more simple...

These EQs are absolutly amazing, so sweet, so powerful!!!
Yes they are indeed!
You used the original mounting holes,right?
This build is teasing me now.....

Best,

Udo ;)

Yes, you can see on the inside pic that I use the L-bracket from David's kit. The only thing I hadn't bought was the faceplate, David can managed different type of kit, which is very kind of him ;)
You haven't build one??? I thought you have...

Ben

evilcat said:
Yes, you can see on the inside pic that I use the L-bracket from David's kit. The only thing I hadn't bought was the faceplate, David can managed different type of kit, which is very kind of him ;)
You haven't build one??? I thought you have...

Ben
Hi Ben,

of course I did two of them,they're in heavy use for months now!
I meant a 19"-version,maybe with seperate controls (non-concentric) and +/-6dB mod. etc.
And I didn't expect the unit to turn out so nice as yours with the standard kit.
Just dreaming atm......

Cheers,

Udo.

evilcat said:
Thanks Udo!
Yes I have OMEGs, it's more simple...

These EQs are absolutly amazing, so sweet, so powerful!!!

Could you comment on the In/Out DOA or chips you used and voltage configuaration? Curious what others are using as I'm going to build a pair.

Hi Rob,

I have built it as David did : ICs for in/out and +/- 16V. If it's good enough for the designer, it's good enough for me! And IT IS: very good piece of gear!!!
Good luck for your build.
Best,
Ben

Has anybody tried Piere's APP992 in this circuit? I really like that opamp. Haven't built these EQ's yet,
but will soon and gonna try the APP992 in there.

Cheers//M

Dr Gris said:
Has anybody tried Piere's APP992 in this circuit? I really like that opamp. Haven't built these EQ's yet,
but will soon and gonna try the APP992 in there.

Cheers//M
Hello,
I'm about to do so soon,it's on my list anyway,and I have a few already assembeled here.Will report back when done.

Cheers,

Udo.

Got my pair ready this week. Love this kit/build and I join the choir, they sound great! The only issue I had was that when trimming to ±0V at the testpoints (A-E) at the lowest band (A) on both my units (eq out) it took like 10-15 secs before my DMM settled, just like when there's a cap in the circuit you are measuring. Also the readings never really settled, but fluctuated approx ±2mV. I did email David about this, but I just wanted to check if anybody else had this?

edit: Fluctuation is actually less than ±2mV, and I got word from David that both behaviours described is ok.

Hi, I built two of these and am almost done, but am having one small issue. I used option D and am consistently getting close to -20 V for the filter rails (usually about -19.8 V, without the ICs). Both positive and negative main rails and the positive filter rails are coming in about 1 V less than this. I know the voltage is going to be a bit higher since the unit isn't drawing much current, but my question is, is -19.8 V too high?

Thanks!

update: David said this should be fine, but to monitor the voltage after installing the ICs and make sure that it dropped. It was still just about 0.5V too high, I had originally set the rails on my 51x supply 0.7V over per Jeff's assembly guide, so I just decided to back those off a bit and everything looks good.

Hello guys.
Any news on the DOA options, how do they sound? And what are the opamps everyone's choosing? Are you guys sticking with +-16v rails and opamps suggested by David?

dribro said:
Hello guys.
Any news on the DOA options, how do they sound? And what are the opamps everyone's choosing? Are you guys sticking with +-16v rails and opamps suggested by David?

I'm curious about this as well. I used the suggested opamps and went with scheme D so I could use the 24V rails of my 51x supply... in the preliminary tests I've done, the EQs sound absolutely fantastic, I'll be starting my first session with them tomorrow so I'll have more of a feel for what they can do after that. If they end up being as awesome as I think they're going to, I'll probably build another pair and would love to experiment with some different ICs/DOAs. Has anyone done any comparisons, and if so, is the difference fairly pronounced or subtle?

I have finished the soldering and are mounting them.

Should the "red" shelf switches not go through the face plates holes?

Mine aren't 100% aligned with holes, but it seems right in other ways.

I tried to put on the big pots (gain), how do I get them closer to the face plate? They like stop halfway down.

Kind regards
John

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Monoklang said:
I have finished the soldering and are mounting them.

Should the "red" shelf switches not go through the face plates holes?

Mine aren't 100% aligned with holes, but it seems right in other ways.

I tried to put on the big pots (gain), how do I get them closer to the face plate? They like stop halfway down.

Kind regards
John
That's how my shelf/bell switches ended up too
Re gain knobs, me too asked about that, and was instructed to cut shafts.

Back