Drip OPTO ver3 -Back From The Grave

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallyHo

Hi Everyone
Quick background:
Some years ago I built the Drip Opto 3 and while it passed audio ok it never seemed to work properly i.e it did'nt compress audio
I was in the process of troubleshooting the problems I was having ...and then LIFE happened...years pass ..house moved ..children born etc.
Now the unit is back out of storage and sitting on my new workbench and I am scratching my head..

Problems:
Drip has seemingly ceased support for this version [opto 3]and I can't find any of the relevant documentation online.
I hope someone has this info sitting on an old drive -or can at least point me in the direction to it's obscure location on the net.

When I plugged the unit in today it did not pass audio and seemed 'microphonic' i.e. it picked up mechanical sound[such as knob turning of tapping of the enclosure

What I really need is a diagram of what voltages I should be seeing  across components at each stage.

But actually any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I recently bought an Opto 3 set from someone who has been sitting on it for 8 years.  I can't complain though, I've had an Opto4 PCB languishing in the cupboard myself for about 3 years :)

If anyone has it then could someone please send me the build doc for the Opto 3, as requested above?  The file is "la2a_pcb_ver3.pdf"

Otherwise I'll follow the Opto4 instructions.  But the boards are a little bit different in places... see pic.

Thanks,
A.

Attachments

• An unlikely pair.jpg
    An unlikely pair.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 18
Why would you need a guide that tells you how to stuff a pcb? There is everything printed on the silkscreen, any calibration should be the same as for every other LA2A, or the v4 you have in front of you.

In any case, here it is.

volker said:
Why would you need a guide that tells you how to stuff a pcb? There is everything printed on the silkscreen, any calibration should be the same as for every other LA2A, or the v4 you have in front of you.

In any case, here it is.

Thanks volker,

If there's one thing I've learned, it's to always research things as thoroughly as possible :)

While the PCB just might happen be 100% correct in this case, it never hurts to read the docs and the build threads to look for gotchas and advice.  Regretfully I've spent a lot of time building half-arsed barely-tested PCBs from synth DIY forums where kludges and fixes and "oh, if you're doing this then you'll need to do that" are the norm!

Cheers,
A.

Latest posts

Back