1 IEC inlet and four PSUs - PCB or not?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have a box with four PSUs inside and am feeding it with 1 fused IEC inlet.
I did make a home pen etch PCB which took the live and neutral wire from the IEC and distributed it to four pcb screw terminals
I was then planning to feed these to four DPST switches and then onto the PSU PCBs...
One thing is worrying me - I think I have read somwhere that PCBs are not advised to handle mains voltages...
If so... what is the best way of putting 1 to 4?
a switch - mains rating? (but from where?? 8PST??)
terminal block - putting four wires into one hole each?
another way?

I'd just use cabling. The nice thing about an IEC inlet is that the tags are nice and big and allow you to common multiple wires safely. So just connect four of each L, N and E wires to the IEC, heatshrink or Hellermann the solder joints, and then run the wires to the PSU's (via suitably rated switches if need be) Bundle it up with ty-wraps to make a neat job and route the cable harness the best route to the PSU's. Just make sure your inlet fuse is correctly rated, or have a separate mains inlet fuse for each PSU.

You can run mains on a PCB- you see it all the time in pro and consumer gear, but the cabling option is a lot easier and inherently insulated!

Mark

A concern is that traces on the pcb are not insulated so may be a shock hazrd. I'd just use insulated mains wire for this.
Stewart

Cheers guys
Four E wires???
I am just using one big f**k off thick one grounded to chassis
(it's a PSU only box)

If it's all installed in a single grounded chassis, then just one. I was imagining you were wiring up four "Power-One" style metal-cased PSU's in a rack or something. These would need an individual earth. But if you're just wiring up four mains transformers in a common case, just extend the L and N.

Mark

Latest posts

Back