Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fazer said:
I don't  know a way to plant and harvest crops for 7 billion people without oil for both tractors and fertilizer.

There's plenty of energy out there to harvest in addition to making things more efficient. Of course, we'd have to decide to do that, and we don't, because capitalism ties people to interests regardless of whether they're better for the masses or not.

JohnRoberts said:
(trust us we're from the government and "our" experts say this). I am as suspicious of government experts as corporate experts, both are working different personal economic angles.

So the solution is to vote for a reality-show host who says climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese one day and the next says that doesn't say that?

Gimme a break.

fazer said:
Hodad: I don't hate people but you sure sound like you hate a group that decided not to voice their feeling to pollsters.  How about

A lot of what you bring up was brought up by other candidates as well, on the left and right. What set Trump apart was his 1950's view on women, his view on abortion, his implying that Mexicans are drug peddling rapists, that Muslims are terrorists that shouldn't be allowed in, that black Americans are leeching off of the system. So when the Trump voters had a chance between getting policies with the same goals in mind or add this extra misogynistic xenophobic racist horsesh#$, what did they choose?

If I'm offering you two plates with two dishes that are virtually but not exactly the same, but where one also includes LSD, doesn't it tell us something about you when you pick the one with acid on it?

And this doesn't even begin to address the fundamental problem with Trump:

Option 1: He means what he says, which means that he thinks global warming was a hoax one day and the next he never said it, that Clinton was a great secretary of state one day and the next it's the opposite, etc..... in other words, he changes his mind on so many thing so often that you can't trust what he says, or,

Option 2: He just says whatever will get the job done, in which case you don't know what the job is, because it could be something completely different from what he said....

In either case YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE VOTING FOR.

"I want change"... Really? How do you know you're getting it? People whine about the Clinton Foundation without knowing exactly what it was guilty of. Ask Trump's son how his family trust will be handled and he says that the kids will manage it. Reporter points out that that's not really a "Blind trust". Trump Jr just says "Yes I think it is". Fact doesn't matter. Only stories and impressions. You getting change? How do you know.

We KNOW that we're getting a reality-tv personality for president. One with 5 bankruptcies in his back pocket (or however many there were) along with a bunch of lawsuits. That's what we know. We know nothing else. And that man gets access to one of the worlds largest nuclear weapons arsenals.

The election is still over guys...

JR

PS: I am planting three new fruit trees (two apple and one peach) in my yard. That should pull some CO2 from the atmosphere and replace it with O2 . One small step for mankind, one giant step for a deplorable.  :eek:

Yeah, the election is over, but in 2.5 months we'll be staring down 4 freaking years of....something.  President Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Vice President Young Earth Creationist.  Plate of food with acid indeed, and a long, strange trip about to begin. 

Matt,
From all of your posts we can see that you are someone who likes attention to detail and you can find the time to devote to it.  Not a problem...just saying.  But not all voters are like you.

For Trump supporters, details like how, what, where and when, were not really an issue.  What mattered to them was, that here was someone who was not a professional career politician  (with all that that implies), who spoke off the cuff without preparation, who spoke the same language (crude at times) and these were credentials that were judged to be more important.

Add to that, that he came from the world of business (even his failures didn't matter) and was a billionaire and you have someone who has the perceived  ability to create wealth and prosperity.  This is irrelevant to most politicians, have you noticed that liberals and activists talk about "funding" whereas businessmen talk about jobs,  earning money, growth and wealth creation?

These voters have been subjected to years of political correctness which has tried to reconstruct them into people they probably don't feel ready to be, when Trump comes along and behaves like they do when they are at home in private, they can identify with him.

The bottom line is that they chose him because he is everything a professional is not.  For someone who likes all the i's dotted and t's crossed, none of it is rational, sensible, ethical or professional, but the fact is that half of American voters (I won't argue about exact figures here) thought that he was a breath of fresh air in a stale political  hegemony.  You have every right to be horrified at their choice, just as they have every right to make it.  We will all have to live with the consequences  for the next four years, so as Obama and Clinton so magnanimously said "We must support him and give him a chance".

DaveP

hodad said:
A theory:  Trump is free to provide the grand distraction and feed his outsized ego as "leader of the 'free' world" while the big business foxes guard the henhouse, largely hidden from view by the shadow cast by Trump.  Trump will be free to throw a little red meat to the loonies of the right while doing nothing to screw up things for big business (which is to say, no taxes on the wealthy, and absolutely nothing will be done to stem the flow of cheap legal and illegal (im)migrant labor intothe country.)  The "deplorables" are too stupid to realize that they've been used yet again, and they will continue to live in their world of fear, hatred, and irrational conspiracy theories.
No disrespect, but aren't you putting forth a conspiracy theory?

US markets closed higher today, defying expectations of a slump following Donald Trump's election win.

The Nasdaq index was 1.1% higher at 5,251.07 points, the Dow Jones was up 1.4% at 18,589.69 and the S&P 500 was up 1.1% at 2,163.26 points.

Pharma stocks performed strongly as Hillary Clinton's defeat allayed fears of a clampdown on industry pricing. Ariad Pharmaceuticals Inc jumped 23.5% while Ionis Pharmaceuticals Inc was up 21.87%.

Suppliers of raw materials and machinery also did well, buoyed by Mr Trump's plans to invest heavily in US infrastructure projects. Caterpillar Inc was up 7.72% while United States Steel Corp jumped 17.17%.

Especially for JR for doing his bit to counter global warming  8)

DaveP

A theory, not really a conspiracy.  Trump got elected, so how to make use of him?  He's a giant buffoon, says stupid/inflammatory/contradictory stuff, and he has an incredible knack for drawing attention.  I just don't see him as stable or focused enough to sweat the details.  So if he's relatively neutered (politically speaking--I'm sure an actual affair would only add to the grand spectacle), then the usual suspects can manipulate the levers of power relatively unnoticed.  Wouldn't be the first figurehead president.  Ronald Reagan, for at least the better part of his second term, was suffering from some pretty heavy duty dementia/alzheimer's--he was definitely not all there. 

So it's a possibility.  Maybe it'll go down like that, maybe it won't.  I don't consider it conspiracy, just sort of how things work.

Clearly, a vote in Alaska isn't worth the same as a vote in California or Florida (seems like it's more valuable?). How do you Americans feel about your votes not being equal?

I'm just not sure how you can call it the greatest democracy on earth, when the majority vote loses...

Banzai said:
Clearly, a vote in Alaska isn't worth the same as a vote in California or Florida (seems like it's more valuable?). How do you Americans feel about your votes not being equal?

I'm just not sure how you can call it the greatest democracy on earth, when the majority vote loses...
Well you see for president we do not go on majority vote,  we use the following.
https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/about.html
now they do not always vote the will of the people and in some states it's an all  electoral votes go to one candidate. It's not a perfect system by any means and may even seem outdated but no one from the democratic party seemed to mind it when they got their candidate elected for the last 8 years.
The sad part to this whole thing is the throwing of the tantrums people are doing by rioting out in the streets.  It does not accomplish anything and does not  lend me to their cause. If they really want to make a change go out and vote because in the U.S. you can. They also should not elect a candidate who while  a employee of the public did such questionable behavior.

What's sad is we have raised  a generation to think that win order to get your way, you have to behave like a monkey.  That in order to get what you want, you have to go out in the streets and cause havoc. Protesting is protected by our constitution, acting like a jack ass is not. I wish they would see the difference.

Banzai said:

Wow! Well-said!!

pucho812 said:
Protesting is protected by our constitution, acting like a jack ass is not. I wish they would see the difference.

The irony.....;

oT41FYI.gif

The ignorant bigots of this country elected a reality-tv personality for president. Only thing worse than being a sore loser over that election is being a sore winner. But then again, the inferiority complex is inherent and will never go away, just like the whining which logically follows from that.

DaveP said:
Sorry JR, but 1000 scientists is nothing compared to the millions of scientists the world over who agree we are causing the problem.  I've said this before, but in the early 1800's a British scientist hitched rides with the Royal Navy to every corner of the globe to check the CO2 level.  They thought back then, that it might be higher in big cities due to human respiration.  They did not know about Brownian motion and equilibria back then, so they were surprised to find that it was around 200ppm the world over.

This forms the baseline of human activity from where we trace the exponential curve to the present day 400ppm.

I don't really want to get into this debate but that statement is just bad science. There is no doubt the level of CO2 is increasing. We can measure it. Nobody has any idea how much of that increase is the result of human activities. It is well known there are huge time constants in the absorption and release of CO2 from the oceans so the increase we are seeing now could be the result of things that occurred hundreds of years ago.

Back in the 70s I remember a report about how the crime rate exactly paralleled the growth in refrigerator sales. Nobody suggested we should stop making refrigerators in order to lower the crime rate. Unfortunately a lot of climate 'science' is just like that.
It is not very difficult to construct global models that tie the warming to CO2 levels.  It was very much hotter in the dinosaurs time because all the CO2 we are burning now was in the air back then before it got laid down as plant fossil coal.
A model is only as good as its predictions that can be verified. Trouble is the timescale of these models is so long they can't be verified right now. All they are is speculation. If you really want to know just how crude these models are you should read Climate: The Counter Consensus by Professor Robert M. Carter.

All the worlds Countries would not have signed up to the Climate bill if there had been any doubt at all.  I would like to see out of work miners re-trained to work on alternative energy projects, there is money to be made there for sure and infrastructure to build, we all need a 21st Century New Deal.  Warning: this may be me just looking for the silver lining again :D

DaveP

Umpteen years ago, the powers that be agreed the earth was a the centre of the universe. The few who argued that it was not were persecuted.

Cheers

Ian

Of course, global warming is not due to human activity. It's the Sun!
The ozone layer is thinning because of the release of CO2 in the atmosphere. We know that this CO2 comes from many sources, seismic activity, forest fires, animal metabolism,...; how can we be so pretentious as to think that we are the main cause? It's as silly as thinking the human race may dominate the world.
I don't feel guilty at all using my V8-powered Cadillac on a daily basis.  8)
But seriously, folks, I'm devastated by the lack of scientific competence of those who defend theses, in both directions (climate skeptic or climate-alarmist). I haven't seen one that has a convincing demonstration based on the basic laws of physics.
I tend to believe that we should be more cautious about these issues, just because we don't know for sure, so I tend to reject the "global waming is a hoax" freaks, but also the "PV and aeolian is all we need" dreamers.

Latest posts

Back