Hairball Audio 1176 Rev A + D Owners Needed for Scientific Research Project.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milomofo

Have you got a HairballAudio 1176 Rev A or D and a spare 45 minutes to an hour to contribute to a piece of research?

If you answered yes to all of the above questions welcome aboard!

"In general, compressors are quite an unexplored field in
academia. The authors know of no prior publication that
collectively derives and discusses the most common compressor
design options in depth. A better understanding of
the different design choices would make compressor design
considerably easier and less of a trial-and-error process. It
would also shed light on how the different design choices
affect the perceived sonic characteristics of the compressor.
The goal of this paper is to provide such analysis, considering
both technical and perceptual aspects." (Giannoulis, D, Massberg, M and Reiss, J. 2012)

My name is Milo and I'm writing a research paper on the efficacy of DIY audio focusing particularly on the 1176. 

My question is: "Can DIY audio provide a cost effective and sonically robust solution to expensive outboard for project studios?"

The Idea is to compare the characteristics of DIY clones to those of the original Urei, UA models and their software emulations.

If this is something that interests you and you want to contribute some data it would be much appreciated.

The full methodology can be found here this includes step by step instructions of the experiment : https://www.dropbox.com/s/2npo0k38g238y1a/1176_Methodology_Draft.pdf?dl=0

Test files can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pm8per7eb974ro/1176_Test_Pack.zip?dl=0

For data submissions please send files via dropbox or equivalent file sharing site to : [email protected] 

I would like to thank you all in advance :)

Full acknowledgement for your contribution will be published in the paper.

Back