DIY Monitors Using Old Pitcher Sinks?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikki

I've been digging around in my garden and found two old pitcher sinks that have flowers in them. Anyone ever used these to make a pair of good quality studio monitors, shouldn't resonate they're pretty solid. Just wondering how you could bond a three quarter inch sheet of ply to the front of them, don't think i'll fasten them to the walls though.
Vikki(uk) :grin:

The problem here (though not insurmountable) might be that you have to match the volume to the open-backed drivers that you use. In this case you'd be starting by defining a volume of air.

Every driver has a set of paramenters known as the 'thiele-small' paramenters. On this list of parameters is one known as "VAS" which is the volume of air required inside the enclosure. You can make a box "appear" about 15% larger than it is, by using wadding/batting inside, but you really have to be close to begin with. Remember also that this 15% is an equivalent volumechange, not an equivalent linear measurement change... therefore if you need 11½litres , you can use 10 litres and wad it carefully. If you have something 10cm x 10cm x 10cm, you can't wad it up to 11.5cm x 11.5cm x 11.5cm... there's a really big difference!

Usually you pick the driver and builc a box to suit how much volume you need... you're working kind of "backwards" this way. ...-You might get lucky, but you can't regularly work this way and count on being lucky all the time!

Keith

Latest posts

Back