News:

Happy New Year!

druu

Re: Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
Bought one of those recently after using a dremel for years. Highly recommended!

Gold

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 05:26:48 PM »
If you are doing the same cut out all the time a punch is the best choice. If you want the flexibility to use any kind of connector then a rotary tool is your best bet. I know I will be doing a lot of DB15 cutouts so I will get a punch for that eventually. Punches are too expensive to keep a bunch around.

leadbreath

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
another good option is a jig saw: it's what the sparkies use to install meters etc. in electric panels, any shape any size!!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:51:19 PM by leadbreath »
f**k marlbro's and weed ill stick to smoking germanium and silicon

warpie

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 06:57:05 AM »
Are you aware of any punch that can cut 3mm panels? Most of them seem to be able to do 2.5mm or less.

leadbreath

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
any reasonable punch will piss through 3mm aluminium even steel just make sure you apply grease to the thread of the punch and to your elbow!!

I once had the luxury of using a hydraulic punch, cut through any plate steel like hot knife through butter, man my life was so easy then.... :'(

warpie

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »
I've been cutting xlr holes on 3mm aluminium so I know exactly what you mean. Not great fun..

I'm just wondering why the suggest Mild Steel: 1.6 mm; Aluminium: 2 mm if they can cut 3mm aluminium.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/punch-die-combinations/0542302/

leadbreath

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »
I just a recommendation, it will probably wear a bit more using thicker steel but  punch is made of tool steel so it's bloody tough!!

also when I use the punch on any substantial plate I get a piece of pipe to fit over the spanner to add leverage to the cutter makes life loads easier!!

ln76d

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 09:43:59 PM »
If there's an option in specific enclosure, like rack 19", am cutting out it from the bottom.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 11:56:04 PM »

I'm just wondering why the suggest Mild Steel: 1.6 mm; Aluminium: 2 mm if they can cut 3mm aluminium.
The weak point is the threads; they can wear out quite rapidly. I have punched holes in thicker than recommended material by making a first partial sketch, then rotating the punch by 60° and making a second sketch, and then a final with another 60°. I also used a vise and suitable cauls to apply pressure instead of using the bolt.
Lubricating the threads is paramount.
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
"The important thing is not to convince, but to give pause for thought." (B. Werber)
Star ground is for electricians.

leadbreath

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »
Lubricating the threads is paramount.

Yes and don't use any old grease, use "copperslip" type stuff:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:48:20 AM by leadbreath »

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
i used a standard jigsaw - with a metal cutting blade (extra thin and lots of teeth per inch). Worked just fine. you just have to have a reasonably steady hand and put tape on the bottom of the jigsaw so as not to damage the panel...

gyraf

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 12:34:56 AM »
For protecting the thread and using less power, a thrust bearing is great - e.g. http://www.banggood.com/Metal-Sealed-Shielded-3-Parts-Roll-Axial-Ball-Thrust-Bearing-51100-p-914553.html

Jakob E.
..note to self: don't let Harman run your company..

Re: Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes. New
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Greenlee rectangular hand punch that's perfect for IEC sockets that's for sale.

The specs are here:

GREENLEE 731R-1.018" X .861", 25.9mm x 21.9 mm Rectangular Chassis Punch Set

The IEC I used with this punch is here:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Qualtek/703W-00-08/?qs=258DH3jk4VdJ6ZTfPlRGrg%3D%3D&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzZe8BRDguN3cmOr4_dgBEiQAijjVFt1AdHxWcXKzz7M3P_WfcMPL7NNi7QivLJotMn5zSlgaAgA18P8HAQ

It's a wee bit smaller than the standard IEC, so a little bit of filing will do the trick.

Yours for 50 USD plus shipping

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:41:48 AM by GasJunkie_Jabz »