Best way to punch IEC panel mount connector in boxes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Greenlee punches you should not only lubricate the threads but also liberally the cutting edges too, it helps keep them nice and sharp.  After all with a  mill or lathe you lubricate the cutting parts too.

I use the 4x  10mm holes & a jigsaw method, mainly because I have them. Having done this a few hundred times now I can actually get it pretty close with the jigsaw so filing is kept to a minimum.  I would try a dremmel if I had one. 

I have a bunch of round punches but as we know the rectangular ones are a lot more expensive.

Hey Jacob - what IEC connectors have you used with this punch - im thinking of making the plunge but i have been sifting thru the fused sockets and havent found a match. Just want to see what my options are.

thanks for the tip!
Timothy

gyraf said:
It's supposedly a Greenlee 50125036  - and I haven't seen it any cheaper anywhere..

https://www.alliedelec.com/rs-pro-542302/70639688/

Jakob E.

You can look at the shape of the punch and then compare it to available IEC inlets aka power inlet data sheets. It didn't take me long to find some matches..

Aah, sorry - it's for e.g. this one:

https://www.monacor.com/products/components/cables-and-plug-in-connectors/mains-supply/aac-150pf/

D343220A.jpg

..but there are many of that type on the market, that will fit the tool cutout..

Jakob E.

I have looked at the RS web site and i an a little confused as to how you would operate this punch. The ones I am familiar with use a chunky Allen key but this one seems to be different.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I have looked at the RS web site and i an a little confused as to how you would operate this punch. The ones I am familiar with use a chunky Allen key but this one seems to be different.

Cheers

Ian
Far as I can see, this one uses standard hex keys, which seems a more robust and versatile option than Allen keys.

Mine just uses a 19mm spanner. And I got an axial pressure bearing for it, to make work a bit easier

Only catch is that you need a 16mm pilot hole

Jakob E.
edit: 19, not 15mm

gyraf said:
yeah, I hear you - but I had to upgrade my bench drill to get to the 16mm. Only later to discover the idea of reduced-shaft drills  ::)

Jakob E.
I guess my tentative at nonsense just got unnoticed.
At the beginning of last month, 1st of April I bought ready-made custom holes holes, really?  from a specialized vendor; I guess if you google "holes for sale", you don't get many answers... however the cost of p&p is prohibitive. Indeed, what type of container is likely to pack holes?

abbey road d enfer said:
At the beginning of last month, 1st of April I bought ready-made custom holes holes, really?  from a specialized vendor; I guess if you google "holes for sale", you don't get many answers... however the cost of p&p is prohibitive. Indeed, what type of container is likely to pack holes?

LOL, I thought you meant you had paid Frank to make the panel for you. He sells holes of all sizes and shapes you know.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer said:

I figured you were going there, but missed the date reference.

If you need holes, I heard that the Albert Hall is full of them, authentic holes from Blackburn, Lancashire. Thousands of them. ;D

Gene Pink said:
If you need holes, I heard that the Albert Hall is full of them, authentic holes from Blackburn, Lancashire. Thousands of them. ;D
I know, but according to the reporter "the holes were rather small", and I don't know when they'll be available, cause "they had to count them all"...

I've been informed that the sitenow  accepts only pick-up orders.;reason is they had a problem, the truck carrying large holes went into a pothole and lost part of the cargo. In retreating to recover, the truck fell into the hole.  :(

Back