Bought ADA8000.What know?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForthMonkey

Hi,

I bought Behringer ADA8000.It was really cheap.I couldn't miss it.But i have no soundcard with digital i/o.Now i need to buy a cheap soundcard with digital i/o.Can you recommend?

Thanks.

ForthMonkey said:
Hi,

I bought Behringer ADA8000.It was really cheap.I couldn't miss it.But i have no soundcard with digital i/o.Now i need to buy a cheap soundcard with digital i/o.Can you recommend?

You need something which has ADAT optical in and out. You usually see them on multichannel boxes like say the MOTU828.

You can also loopback the ADAT out to the ADAT in and use it as a preamp that happens to have an A/D/A in the middle.

Somebody really should make cheap USB/fw-adat coverter,
Now theres only this i know;
http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

But I guess best Bang for the buck is some Old 2nd hand motu.

I use the ADA8000 with an Rme hdsp 9632.
You won't get much lower latency and better stability than that.

I am using the RME FF 400 connected to Creamware A16

kooma said:

wow i should have seen this earlier... do you have any experience with that?

I've got an RME Hammerfall 9652 (PC / Windows Version) which I don't use anymore since I moved to Madi.
The RME is for sale.
Please PM if you are interested.

Thanks for all replies.Now i need sound card with ADAT support.

Or...

USBStreamer B...I saw this but how can use it?It's okat with ASIO?Is this converting ADAT to sound card or something like this?

Can i use more than one ADAT with USBStreamer?

Hoe mini the DSP is?? at least it seems it could make a mix, maybe interesting to play around with.

For example you set your 8 channels to have a fixed mix and run standalone, even if it takes a master device which would be a tablet for example. If it could implement simple filters in the DSP even more fun could be on the way  8)

I'd like to know what those headers connectors are doing insed...

JS

One thing you should know is that the ADA8000 has SMUX despite not being advertised.

Good to know if you want to use higher sample rates(at the cost of channels of cause) and if your interface supports it.

It doesn't go higher than 48kHz. If you try to record via SMUX, each pair of channels will combine into  a single channel and you'll get a weird garbled sound. However, it will accept a SMUX input and it will work fine as long as you use an anti-aliasing filter ITB to cut everything above 22 kHz.

Hi! I own an USBstreamer. The only thing I've found to connect simply ADAT on USB... relatively inexpensive.  I still haven't used it in real recording. I bought it for to use with an AD16X, cheaper than FW card and a lot more versatile.  It has asio drivers and I think it use core audio on macs... I only tried with asio on winXP and win7 and seems to work ok on both. You can load in it diferent firmwares, one for ADAT and another one for SPDIff, only one at a time. In adat mode only 44.1KHz or 48KHz sample rate, 8 channels.  Supposedly you can use, at least, two of them on one computer but have not tried it, only own one.  On windows It has a control pannel where you can configure buffer settings and clock source.
I tested it alone and with ASIO4ALL drivers too in conjuntion with a presonus firestudio and works fine both modes...
In a few weeks I'm going to use it on a recording and will see if its all really ok  ;)

You're using a desktop or a laptop ?

If you have room & possibility for a PCI-card then I'd add the Terratec EWS88D as an excellent but cheap card for ADAT-connectivity.

clintrubber said:
You're using a desktop or a laptop ?

If you have room & possibility for a PCI-card then I'd add the Terratec EWS88D as an excellent but cheap card for ADAT-connectivity.

Thanks for advice but it's hard to find,i guess.I have some soundcards in my mind but still waiting to buy because of DIY projects.

ForthMonkey said:
Thanks for advice but it's hard to find,i guess.I have some soundcards in my mind but still waiting to buy because of DIY projects.

It's been a while since I kept an eye on eBay for some Terratec cards of the EWS-range, but no idea how the situation is now.

Then these weren't scarce & prices were decent. Can imagine that these days they'll be more scarce, but when they pop up it might be for next to nothing (& let's hope they still work, but I have never had problems with these EWS-cards themselves).

Good luck finding something

this looks like a nice little box. For what I understand from the website, though it only does USB to ADAT, and I guess the OP has the need for ADAT to USB (or to anything that gets in his computer).

kooma said:

Thanks for posting this.

It looks like it works both for recording AND playback (USB <-> ADAT), which is good news!

They state: "Multichannel (up to 8) @ 48/44.1kHz for ADAT Transmit/Receive"
and the pdf-files confirm this.

Spino said:
this looks like a nice little box. For what I understand from the website, though it only does USB to ADAT, and I guess the OP has the need for ADAT to USB (or to anything that gets in his computer).

kooma said:

Back