Jimi Ray's 2014-2015 Mic Builds

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylwall

I just did a tally because people have been asking me, and I've built 20 and modified 5 microphones over the last year. Sold two of the modified [SP C1/U87's] and traded 1 [MK-47] of the builds.

Here they are (U67, D-47, D-EF47, two MK-U47's, four D-47FET's, D-251, D-49, three D-87's, three Matachung C12's, FOX 460, RM-5 Ribbon and the 3 modifications I have left - 460 C12, SP C1/U87, 460 ELAM 251)...

Edit 9/20/15:
I was also asked in a PM about some of my observations about these mics so I thought I'd put them here too.  (These are just my opinions on what I experienced so far and in no way are meant to diss any of the mic designers.  All of them are fantastic.)

We are in the process of holding sessions and testing all of the mic builds.  I can say that, so far, my favorites have been [in this order] the D49 (with Neumann K47fet capsule and AMI T49 transformer/Sylvania 5840 NOS tube), the Matachung C-12 v1.4 clone (with Beesneez CK12 capsule and AMI T14 transformer/GE6072A NOS tube), D-251 Ela M kit (with Beesneez CK12 capsule, Beesneez mic body, EH6072A Gold tube/ CM-13114 transformer) and ioaudio's MK-U47 (with Thiersch STW7 Blue line capsule / Philips JAN 6028 NOS tube).

I was a bit surprised about  the U-67 clone's sound (especially considering how much money I stuffed into it).  A bit muffled, yet it worked extremely well doing an old Christmas song that I probably should have used a ribbon mic on.  It sounded perfect although it is not an "airy" sounding mic.  (Genuine Neumann U67/87 body and headbasket, K870/K67 Neumann capsule / ioaudio TLM67/U87Ai to U67 quickmod kit/ Valvo-Siemens PF86 tube).

Another Matachung C-12 build surprised me.  It was built with the v1.2A circuit boards, Eric Heiserman HK12 capsule, Cinemag CM-13114 transformer and GE5 star 6072A tube.  MAN can this thing record low end!  I throw this on bass cabinets and bass singers and get chills at the tight and accurate low end.

The most disappointing to me was the MK-47 kit.  It sounded very harsh.  The weird thing is that the MK-U47 kits sound fantastic, but distinctly U-47.  Since I already had quite a few other U-47 builds, I just decided to trade it off for something I needed instead of experimenting with components.  I still think this is a great kit and will sound fantastic given enough time tweaking the mic.  I WILL be purchasing another one of these kits in the future to figure out what I did wrong.

I was extremely surprised at how good the FOX460 mod/build kit that microphone-parts.com is selling sounds.  I am VERY happy with that mic.  But be warned, it is VERY "airy" sounding.  On a thin voice it will destroy the recording.  (Alctron T-11 donor mic, C12 headbasket from Studio 939, MP RK-12 capsule, EH6072A  tube).

The D-47fet builds seems to work GREAT on guitar cabinets (most are built with Peluso K47 or MP RK47 capsules & AMI T49 transformers).  I've used the fourth build on vocals in a recent session and it sounded fantastic there as well (MP RK47 capsule / Cinemag CM-13101 transformer / MXL V89 donor mic).

I was pleasantly surprised on the RM-5 Ribbon Mic.  I don't know what I expected, but found it to have perfect high end for bongos and percussion and it performed gorgeously on blues electric guitar cabinets.

The D-87 builds are adequate, but having so many good mics now, these are not getting much use.  (Most are built with MP RK-87i capsules and Cinemag CM-13113 transformers).

I have posted pictures and component lists for most all of my builds in the appropriate build threads (at least the first build of each type of mic I built).

I hope this helps.

P.S. two of the modified mics I have are very nice as well.  Jim Jacobsen modified one of my Apex 460's into the JJ Audio "Dutch" (Peluso CEK-12 capsule / GE 5 star NOS tube hand picked by Jim / Cinemag CM-2480 transformer).  Brian Fox modified another of my Apex 460's into a FAR 251 SE I (MP RK12 capsule tested and hand picked by Brian / EH6072A tube also hand picked by Brian / Cinemag CM-13114 transformer).  Both of these perform fantastically.  For the most part, when I use these, I reach for the FAR 251 SE I more.

Jimi Ray

Attachments

• 2014-2015 Mic Builds.jpg
    2014-2015 Mic Builds.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 290
Phrazemaster said:
Aside from keeping them in the trophy case, what in the world will you do with all these microphones?

Lovely.

Mike

I'm going with record! IMHO (I am partially defending my own obsession ::)) more are needed. Bring on the dynamics baby! Also lacking in the SDC catagory.

Really beautiful though!

Phrazemaster said:
Aside from keeping them in the trophy case, what in the world will you do with all these microphones?

Lovely.

Mike

Hahaha!  Yes, record.  I have a small but very busy studio as a side "hobby".  We have a lot of local talent beating down the door for available time.  When I found this group I didn't know if building my own mic's was something I had the capacity to do.  But I found it to be therapeutic and was able to complete a whole lot of mic's in a years time.  The talent coming into the studio have been ecstatic about the mic options and we are currently testing all of the different mics on different song types and singers.

These days that is no longer considered a small studio.  Sadly. 

Thanks for the report.  It takes this sort of work to begin to suss out the 'emperors new clothes', which abound in DIY dreams.  Should give folks some ideas and direction, since you have the advantage of comparison. 

It is hard to have too many mics, even if most of them sit unused a lot of the time.  Every now and then an odd one will be the perfect solution. 

Any new builds for the 2016-2017 mic building season? I love your summary of the different mics and referred to it multiple times when deciding on builds. Have you had a chance to swap components between the 251 and C12? I'm curious if you find one tube suits the capsule / circuit / output cap / transformer combo differently than the other. That's a big price difference between the 5 star and the EH.

Have you tried other transformer options on your drop in U67? There's some discussion about max's transformer sounding dark in another thread.

Hey Delta Sigma! A few years past your post.... haha. Sometimes life gets in the way I suppose.

I've completely lost count now of how many I've built, sold, built, sold again, etc... Has to be around 40 microphones. I just enjoy building them I guess. I've not done any swapping of components in the builds. As far as Max's U67, it made a huge difference swapping his tube out for a Valvo EF86.

I'm currently in the process of building a U47 with the 13CW4 Nuvistor Tube (with a few changed components to restore the lost low end with this tube).

Hey Delta Sigma! A few years past your post.... haha. Sometimes life gets in the way I suppose.

I've completely lost count now of how many I've built, sold, built, sold again, etc... Has to be around 40 microphones. I just enjoy building them I guess. I've not done any swapping of components in the builds. As far as Max's U67, it made a huge difference swapping his tube out for a Valvo EF86.

I'm currently in the process of building a U47 with the 13CW4 Nuvistor Tube (with a few changed components to restore the lost low end with this tube).
I think you should give Moby’s BV12 a try. It made an unbelievable difference in my U67 clone vs Max’s. My next project is to turn a TLM 67 into a U67

Back