Sony 3348 Remote Control

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

For some reason, our remote isn't working properly. Upon firing it up, all I see is all the transport buttons lighting up solid. No buttons can be used. I'm quite sure the seller gave us the remote cable, and not an SDIF2 cable, although both appear to be the exact same. I'm not sure about pinout or the cabling used in each one, but this has me stumped. Upon turning on the machine, the remote stop button should be blinking just as the tape machine does.

Hoping some of you more experienced 3348 users can help me out as to what this means.

Thanks,
Sig

Yes,  I think you are correct that the remote and SDIF2 cables are pin to pin, although the SDIF2 was twisted pair type.
My poor memory does seem to think that there was a switch under the little fold down perspex flap that disabled the remote. But I could equally be wrong....

[Edit] Possibly switched to Remote 2  on far right hand switch.

I think you're referring to the multi dip switch, correct?  If so, yes all those switches are pushed to the right, implying an "on" position.  There's not another switch hidden somewhere you're referring to, is there?

So even if this was an SDIF cable, it would still work as a remote cable, but perhaps not the othe way around.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Sig

No it's a switch in the System Control Block, see pic.  I can't be totally sure on the cable front,  but at Whitfield Street we extended our remote cables through the wall from the m/c room to control room using  50 way cable.

[Edit] Ignore the fact that the pic shows the HR version....  :)

Attachments

• 3348.jpg
    3348.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 21
Ok, not much luck here.  The button is at the Remote 3 position (top), but...I can't seem to even use the switch to change it to the other setting.  It just doesn't do anything at all...and the remote is still not working.

I just called the seller and he recalls a similar thing happening when they first got the machine 2 years ago and they placed the remote on the stand.  He said he reseated the ribbons inside, and it went away.  I just pulled the entire thing apart, removed all ribbons and used Deoxit to clean them all.  Same deal now...no difference.  When the tape machine is on, I don't get the lights (I get nothing at all), but when the machine is off, the lights on the transport are all still bright if I turn the remote on...how frustrating.  Without the remote, the entire machine is scrap metal.

Any other suggestions?

I'm also still not convinced that this cable I'm using is an actual remote cable.  It looks identical to all the SDIF cables I've used.  Is there a chance that this isn't working because that's not the right cable?  What a terrible idea to make the same connectors for the remote and SDIF...

One last thing - is the remote cable the only connection that needs to be made here?  There's all sorts of wordclock and other connectors on here.  The manual doesn't say to, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks,
Sig

OK, so TWICE now I've been able to get the remote control working.  Don't ask me how, or what I did.  I initially took it off the stand, and got some weirder led action.  Wiggled things around and it magically started to work.  Then I breathed the wrong way on the remote, and it died.  Wiggled some more, and it came back...so frustrating...

I've pulled all connectors, reseated, pulled all IC's, reseated...I'm back to square one now.

sounds like there is a problem on the remote side. If it is intermittent, I am thinking a broken/cold solder joint. You may want reflow solder on the connector attached to the circuit board, that would be my first guess as to where it could happen.

I have a complete Sony 3324 for sale here, with remote... working.

This might seem like an extreme approach, but (to quote a Guy Richie movie) "like the birds- it's going CHEEP"

I mean STUPID cheap. -You could probably buy the whole machine for less than it costs to repaid yours, then ship the bits you need, and tell us to burn what's left!

Well, let's just say that I paid less than what 2 SDIF cables go for on eBay for the 3348, remote, 5 reels of tape, all cabling, meter bridge, 4 binders of manuals and maintenance notes, 2 SDIF cables, 3 Otari UFC24 units, and it's all in mint shape.  I bet it would cost more than what I paid to ship yours up to Canada...

The remote was fine when I tried out the machine, something must have happened in transit.  I suspect it's a cold solder joint around the white molex power cables, as I got the remote working twice when fiddling around in that area.

PS - this was the upgraded version from '91, so I suspect Sony came in and did that.  This came out of a big University here, and I imagine it hardly saw much use.

Hey guys,

Still never did get this working...I was wondering if anyone knew of a reset sequence for the machine or remote?  Also, I've noticed the small time counter beside the power button is dead on the machine - could this be the cause of it not working?  Is there a battery internally for this small LCD display?

Also, I've been told that it might be a 5v logic issue...I need to test that somehow.

Would love to finally get this thing working...

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Sig

Back