DIY Modular Mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pahstah

Hi Everyone,

i'm in the final stage of prototyping a little modular mixer based on a schematic that I've found in a thread in this forum. it's a very basic mixer but it will suit my need for tracking/monitoring and maybe it will be nice to have, comes mix time, for adding some extra juice.

here are some pictures

Paolo

I've uploaded a rough mix of a puremix contest song redone on my diy console. check it out at:

https://soundcloud.com/paolo-stabellini/gearfest-puremix-contest-oh-baby-console

and a video:

https://youtu.be/T8X_4ZyNqs4

Paolo

Attachments

• _DSC0993.jpg
    _DSC0993.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 399
Tank you Joechris, it's been two years in the making but now i'm finally seeing the end of it... at least for the mixer part, but as you can see, there is a whole lot of possibilities in the pre eq section

I did put myself in a trip like this, at the moment I found a problem to get the PCBs made and the front panels. I did solve the PCB thing with a very nice method for self etching with really nice results but no time since then, still have to solve the metalwork.

Looks really nice! I wish you a smooth arrival to destination.

JS

Thank you Joaquins, I'm am testing the control room module right now, there are some minor mistakes but it should be easy to solve them. when the CR module is ok next move is to complete the metalwork and then put it at work on some session

paolo

Thank you Peter.
There are many ways to configure this little mixer, as I think you have guessed...

Well done. I like the idea of keeping all  the routing, AUXes and PAN in the same plane as the fader with just the EQ and pre on the sloping part. I am particularly interested in the mechanical aspects. I see you have used profiled sides held together with extrusions which is basically the scheme most pro mixers adopt. The hard part is where two such profiles butt up against each other like in the centre of your mixer. I am never quite sure how thick the profiles need to be for use with countersunk screws - any tips?

Cheers

Ian

Well done. I like the idea of keeping all  the routing, AUXes and PAN in the same plane as the fader with just the EQ and pre on the sloping part. I am particularly interested in the mechanical aspects. I see you have used profiled sides held together with extrusions which is basically the scheme most pro mixers adopt. The hard part is where two such profiles butt up against each other like in the centre of your mixer. I am never quite sure how thick the profiles need to be for use with countersunk screws - any tips?

Cheers

Ian/quote]

hi Ian,
thanks for the kind words.
the lateral cheek is 3mm thick  and the countersink is the standard countersink in front panel designer for 5mm screw 74A, but maybe is better an hole for allen screw 74B.
I hope that I have answered your question.

Paolo

Attachments

• _DSC0017.jpg
    _DSC0017.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 138
beatnik said:
very nice. congratulations !

what are the mic pre /eq modules based on ?

Hi beatnik, thank you.

the two models on the left are EVEN 3701:  my way to squeeze an 1073 in a double500 module.
In the other two (with the colored knobs ) I've put an a.p.i. pre/line togheter with an helios eq so I called them APHELIOS.
One good thing about this double high 500 module is the possibility to have a mic input AND a line input without the need of an attenuator at the mic input.
And I have other possible mashups of pre and eq.
Another plus in having a faceplate that is so high is that you have much more space to place the controls, so the knobs aren't cramped and you don't need concentric switches (wich are expensive and difficult to find).

Paolo

Attachments

• _DSC0018.jpg
    _DSC0018.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
These are the channel pcb and the master bus pcb. The master bus pcb uses that 1646 as line out, but there's a mod to use transformer out.

paolo

Attachments

• _DSC0015.jpg
    _DSC0015.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 251
Back