DIY Modular Mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you ever finish putting this thing together?  Great choices on the functionality you've decided to put into it. Great tracking channels with the double 500 format, a couple of busses (people don't need 8 or 16 these days), along with a center section make this totally ideal... at least for me and small project studio setup.

If you had some issues with the monitor controller maybe Jeff could help you out? I know he built a module of his own a few years back that seemed pretty cool.

Would be amazing if you decided to share PCBs and whatnot... I'm just dreaming of having a pair of CAPI pre's and EQs in the double 500 format for a tracking mixer :)

clister01 said:
Did you ever finish putting this thing together?  Great choices on the functionality you've decided to put into it. Great tracking channels with the double 500 format, a couple of busses (people don't need 8 or 16 these days), along with a center section make this totally ideal... at least for me and small project studio setup.

If you had some issues with the monitor controller maybe Jeff could help you out? I know he built a module of his own a few years back that seemed pretty cool.

Would be amazing if you decided to share PCBs and whatnot... I'm just dreaming of having a pair of CAPI pre's and EQs in the double 500 format for a tracking mixer :)

Clister1, yes this thing is in its final steps, i've managed to fix all the mistakes that i've made and i got rid of the noise in the summing section wich was too high, now is at a rasonable level. in the meantime i've bult an helios type69 module in double500 format, you can see it here:
http://realgearonline.com/thread/4451/optimal-helios?page=3

i'm thinking about making a kit for this project. it could be a really nice project for those who want a tracking mixer with the possibility to utilize 500 series format, wich now is hugely widespread, without the need to spend a massive amount of money in a commercial mixer.
the problem is that i need to rearrange the dimensions of this thing: i need more space in the bottom for the channel modules so it will be at least 5 cm tall, and i will definitely separate the fader bucket from the channel bucket in order to host zamproject's automation.  so it will become bigger and i don't know if this is gonna be okay for some people interested in it...

Smaller would be more ideal for someone like me, but I can't imagine this thing turning out to be enormous even with those changes... I'd still be interested :)

clister01 said:
Smaller would be more ideal for someone like me, but I can't imagine this thing turning out to be enormous even with those changes... I'd still be interested :)

i'm in the stage of making revision for the console, fix some pcbs errors and defining mechanical parts better.
I need to add 3 cm at the bottom outline of the lateral cheek because i need more space for the connectors on the channel's backplane, now is 10 cm high the new version will be 13 cm high with maybe a lightly  slanted profile in the channel.
maybe bring the busses from 8 to 4 and add 2 more auxes.

how many channels are you interested in?

8-12 Channels would be great, master section, 4 busses is fine as well (as long as you've got direct outs on every channel) with the 3 auxes... sounds perfect  :)

Cameron, the mixer's design is based on a eight modules bucket, so you can add eight channel at a time. So it is 8 16 24 etc..
It has direct outs for every channel.
Note that if you want you can put 16 preamps in the double500 bucket, eight of them will go into the channels to the direct out to converter, the remaining eight will go directly to the converter. So you can record 16 tra ks. The only downside is that you won't hear the latters through the console's master bus or auxes, but only through daw's returns
Or you can use eight external preamps and send them to channels and have 16 500 series preamp in the bucket to a total of 24 preamps, altough you'll only hear the eight in the channels through the mixer's monitor

Sounds awesome. I'd probably start with an 8 channel version myself. Any chance of an insert switch for a point between the two 500 series spaces? I'm sure something could be added on afterwards so no worries if not.

yes, i've obviously thought about an insert switch between modules and is already present in the channel design, what i've not designed yet is the pcb with the relays on the back of the mixer, but will be next in line

Paolo

armrest in place...

DSC0007.jpg

Krcwell said:
Outstanding!

What is the front covering? Almost looks like leather in the pic.

Yes it is leather a woodblock on the inside and some soft material in between

pahstah said:
yes, i've obviously thought about an insert switch between modules and is already present in the channel design, what i've not designed yet is the pcb with the relays on the back of the mixer, but will be next in line

Paolo

Well then I think you've thought of everything!

Hi Pahstah

What an nice work !!!
"DIY" definitely step up recently with Ian/Holger tube mixer and now yours.
Looking forward to retrofit a moving fader system  ;)

Best
Zam

Back