Pink's photos

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
wow... welcome

Gene is an old friend....  ;D ;D ;D

I've been trying to get Gene to share some of his pictures of sundry interesting things electronic.

Sorry I'm no help on the cap ID quest...  perhaps old cap catalogs, but that sounds like a lot of leg work.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
wow... welcome

I've been trying to get Gene to share some of his pictures of sundry interesting things electronic.

Yeah, I got a bunch of that sort of thing. And not just sundry, I got 'em all week long. I'll attach one here (if a new guy can do that, lets find out).

Yeah, I finally got around to posting,  would it be too presumptuous to start a definitive thread on cap ID?  Is this the right place for this?  I'm thinking maybe posting  jpegs of bunches of caps, and we can all play "Name That Capacitor".  The end result being a visual ID of caps for all.

I have the stock here, been stripping stuff for half a century. Pedal my baloon-tire Schwinn past a neighbors house with something electronic out at the curb, pedal home and come back pulling my little red wagon, load up, drag home, and either fix or strip. 

By eighth grade, I had 19 working random TVs in a video wall stacked in my bedroom, wall to wall, floor to ceiling, completely blew away those department store displays of new TVs. Funny when they were all on different stations with the volumes all cranked up.I was the probably only kid in jr. high school with a 40A 220V subpanel in his bedroom.  Winter nights were no problem, leave them all on, and 200+ tube heaters made it nice and toasty in there.

Note that the attached jpeg lost a lot of detail going to a polite posting 640x480. 

Andy, great to see your still around and kickin'.

John has been trying to get me to post here for awhile, presumably so I stop pestering him by emailing wacky jpegs, What are you up to these days?

Gene

Attachments

• 64^2 cores.jpg
    64^2 cores.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 594
Gene Pink said:
Note that the attached jpeg lost a lot of detail going to a polite posting 640x480. 

Hmmm, jpegs post here as clickable thumbnails, damn good idea, let me go for zoom-in-able quality this time:

Gene

Attachments

• 64^2 cores2.jpg
    64^2 cores2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
PINK.......

Yes exactly... he has tons of that kind of interesting stuff... post that picture of a transistor you sent me the other day. There are people here who will appreciate that kind of old school technology. 

As far as I'm concerned you can post anything you want any where... if you get annoying somebody will tell you.  8)

JR

PS: I'm keeping busy...while I spend way too much time here...

JohnRoberts said:
PINK.......

Yes exactly... he has tons of that kind of interesting stuff... post that picture of a transistor you sent me the other day. There are people here who will appreciate that kind of old school technology. 

Yeah, too many tons, what took 50 years to collect, is gonna take another 50 to get rid of. Here's that picture:

Attachments

• Transistor.jpg
    Transistor.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 131
> Power Darlington??

Yeah, that's what John and I figured. It is the output from an internal voltage regulator module on a '70s-'80s GM Delco Remy car alternator, drives the slip brushes to the field coil, just a few amps. It measures 0.102" (2.6mm) square.  Itty bitty thing.

Do they give out awards here for "most convoluted thread"?

Gene

Gene Pink said:
> Power Darlington??

Yeah, that's what John and I figured. It is the output from an internal voltage regulator module on a '70s-'80s GM Delco Remy car alternator, drives the slip brushes to the field coil, just a few amps. It measures 0.102" (2.6mm) square.  Itty bitty thing.

Do they give out awards here for "most convoluted thread"?

Gene

OK fixed that for you... may need to move this too,,, but keep the interesting photo's coming.

Here's another classic Pink Pix

JR

Attachments

• Light bulbs.jpg
    Light bulbs.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 156
JohnRoberts said:
OK fixed that for you... may need to move this too,,, but keep the interesting photo's coming.

Are you sure anyone else actually wants to see this crap? (and thanks for rethreading)

Alright, here's another one. I already posted core RAM from 1975,  with the tiniest cores known to mankind. That half a core was 4096 beads (64^2)  in less than 2" square, threaded by hand (yikes!). It was from my high school's NCR mainframe, I actually used this core back then, just not sure how. Hope they didn't miss two of them when I graduated,.

Just kidding.

Now we'll go with the world's largest cores, in ROM.

Yeah, ROM, from 1969. This beast is 19" long, you can see the ends of the 96 U-shaped ferrite halves that mate, upper board has several turns around one half of the U, the lower board is up to 64 thin pages of copper traces that either go through the core (1), or around it (0). Presumably, shoot a pulse through the various traces, and the coils on the upper board either pick it up, or don't. Or the other way around, who knows.

Wacky stuff. Anybody have an idea of what this may have come out of? I wonder if they had a compiler that would take code as input, and auto-route those traces for in or out?

Gene

Attachments

• Large core ROM.jpg
    Large core ROM.jpg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 144
> Are you sure anyone else actually wants to see this crap?

Yes. More crap, please.

Auto-route is very unlikely in the period which produced that ROM.

Bell Tel had wilder ROMs decades before. They held best-path (and fallover) data for long-distance connections. So wacky that I can't remember the exact scheme. But do you remember paper cards with edge-punches? You had a stack, put a rod through the hole matching the criteria you wanted to find, lift, and the notch-cards stayed behind. It was sumthin like that, except very thin stiff metal foil, optical readers, and high-speed lifters. "ROM" really meant they could replace cards as the network changed (a fairly expensive "re-program" with hundreds of switching centers to ship cards to and manually exchange).

Gene Pink said:
JohnRoberts said:

Are you sure anyone else actually wants to see this crap? (and thanks for rethreading)

Alright, here's another one. I already posted core RAM from 1975,  with the tiniest cores known to mankind. That half a core was 4096 beads (64^2)  in less than 2" square, threaded by hand (yikes!). It was from my high school's NCR mainframe, I actually used this core back then, just not sure how. Hope they didn't miss two of them when I graduated,.

Just kidding.

Now we'll go with the world's largest cores, in ROM.

Yeah, ROM, from 1969. This beast is 19" long, you can see the ends of the 96 U-shaped ferrite halves that mate, upper board has several turns around one half of the U, the lower board is up to 64 thin pages of copper traces that either go through the core (1), or around it (0). Presumably, shoot a pulse through the various traces, and the coils on the upper board either pick it up, or don't. Or the other way around, who knows.

Wacky stuff. Anybody have an idea of what this may have come out of? I wonder if they had a compiler that would take code as input, and auto-route those traces for in or out?

Gene
I wonder if that stuff isn't even older than that or maybe experimental. I had a friend who worked for NCR and IIRC they were using huge "magnetic drum" memories, a variant pre-cursor(?) for hard drives? Some time around then.

By mid-late '70s I was using IC memory chips for my computer. 

JR

index.php

I love this - electronics you don't assemble, you knit it!

Nick Froome

Back