XLR panel mounts...need help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

versuviusx

hi i'm trying to make my own chasis, and i need to know if
are all XLR male and female panel mounts the same dimensions with the mounting holes in the same position

No. Some Neutriks are the same, but some others aren't, and I don't think any Switchcraft that I can recall are the same. If you go to Neutrik's website they have mechanical drawings of their parts with all dimensions.

... i have some older switchcraft XLRs here. I get confused female/male. Ones with the pins are 3/4" diameter mount, ones with 3 holes are 15/16"

Why not standardise on the Neutrik 'D' series?
Then you will only need to buy a 24mm punch - this will be OK for male and female XLR's as well as Speakons and the Powercons.......
This size is now so popular that many other vendors are making versions of their products to fit this cut out!

i was hoping that switch craft would be the same dimensions as neutrik that way if i decided not to go with switchcraft i could always go to neutrik or some other XLR connector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7305251643&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

[quote author="AudioJohn"]Why not standardise on the Neutrik 'D' series?
Then you will only need to buy a 24mm punch - this will be OK for male and female XLR's as well as Speakons and the Powercons.......
This size is now so popular that many other vendors are making versions of their products to fit this cut out![/quote]

Ditto.

hey ,
i recently installed xlr inputs in my rca ba-45/ba-43 rack units.
I used a 1/2" greenlee punch
available at your local hardware store (BTW:standard tool for electricians)
1/4" drill bit for a pilot hole
large round file
flat file
other helpful items include:
a sharp tool for marking
a steel straight edge or square.
Also don't under estimate the value of a sharpie (permanent marker) when marking the tiny little mounting holes . (your hard work will look like crap if it's not level and uniform)

I highly recommend that your purchase the xlr units you are going to use before starting.
my units had 3 tiny half-round notches at the 3 , 6 , and 9 o' clock positions and a large squard notch at the 12 o'clock position.
this is where the files come in handy

SO ..
1-mark and layout carefully
2-puch your center points with a punch awl (or a nail)
3-drill hole for your punch tool bolt (3/8 i think)
TIP:the round file can help with an off center hole drilled by, inserting the file in your drill and filing the hole till centered (use drill in forward and/or reverse for desired effect)
4-insert punch tool and tighten with a crecent wrench or a rachet
5-file in the round notches at the 3 6 9 positions with the round file
6-file the top notch with the square file at the edges, then with the round file across the top (to arch the line)
TIP: this area at the top must have enough room for your xlr locking release switch to operate freely.....even after they are screwed in tight.
7-finally the units should fit inside your holes now you can:
do some filing to adjust for centering and rotation
once you are satisfied
8- lay in youir units (maybe against a straight edge )
9-use the sharpie to mark your holes to fill entire exposed area!!
it will be impossible to mark the exact center of these holes since they are so small
10-remove the unit and drill your mounting holes
TIP: i cut off a self-tapping screw and used it for a screw bit (tightened into the chuck of my drill motor) they are small, sharp, cheap and made from very hard steel. (ALSO they son't break in half lik the other 3 cheap drill bits i had)
relace unit and proceed to mount
11- mounting options: go for exact holes and tap the threads with a screw.
be prepared with small nuts and bolts just in case.

BTW i used the punch and square file to mount my AC power too.

I'll be fixing these RCA units and posting some pics soon (hopfully)

well i hope this info is helpful
good luck
Toobie Snack

Latest posts

Back