Drip Opto 6 Freqency Selector Option

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okdaniel

Hello all,

I'm building an Opto 6 also. It's tough to find out any info for this build and I'm also new to Drip stuff and to building LA2As. I have read a lot and have most of figured.

I just wanted to see if anyone knows what the "Optional Frequency Selector" terminals are on this board are. If unused, you are to put in a jumper for "Freq Byapss" and another jumper for "pin 2 cell 7" in the T4B section. What does this optional hookup do exactly? A wild guess would be a switch between 2 C4/C14 values? 150pf and 330pf perhaps?

Curious before I end up stuffing various things.

Looks like I can answer my own question. Took another look.  It was labelled in the promo photo for the board on the drip website.

Seems to be the optional de-essing feature for the board. Does anyone have any idea how this is done?  Sounds like it could be a great idea, or not......

Bump. Not sure how this is implemented. Trying to figure it out as well. If you hook it up to a spdt switch it just grounds the opto cell killing signal. Obviously it needs some sort of filter hooked up to panel switch to ground.

Attachments

• IMG_4638.JPG
    IMG_4638.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4637.JPG
    IMG_4637.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
I can't say that this is the answer to this particular question, but what I've discovered with Greg's designs is that the "optional" stuff almost always relates to some auxiliary pcb that you have to buy separately, and which he only seems to sell (if he actually gets around to selling it at all) during the peak of the project's retail life.

I was confounded by a similar situation with his BA6A board, which I'm currently finishing, in which you have the "options" to implement new time constants as well as use DC for some of the heaters. But it's super unclear how this is all supposed to work, so I hounded him a bit through email and finally got the answer that both of those were separate boards that he used to sell but are no longer available.

Again, not sure if that's what is going on with the Opto 6, but if you're staring at it and just can't see how it's supposed to work, it may be that there's a missing puzzle piece that you weren't informed of.

Recproaudio and older posts here show various methods for building LA2A and mods cheaper, allow for wider choice of components, contain lots of information, circuit is accessible without having to unscrew all connections and so on. Having it p2p or partially on pcb eases things quite a bit.

I'll answer my own question. A simple passive band pass filter soldered to a switch to the Optional Frequency Selector terminal will do the trick. Here are the values for your reference.

Attachments

• De-ess Filter Circuit.jpg
    De-ess Filter Circuit.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 0
Back