Rohde & Schwarz oscilloscopes (old analog)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricothetroll

Hi,

I'm starting to think about switching my old 1960 Philips GM5600 (tubes) for a more modern one. By modern I mean : not a tube one and hopelessly one that triggers better, even though that shouldn't be too hard.

I've seen this Rohde & Schwarz BOP 374.0020.02 (30 Mhz) on evilbay, it's cheap (for Europe), should be quite a step forward from the GM5600 I have.

Here's the auction :
http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Rohde-Schwarz-BOP-374-0020-02-Oszilloskop-30-Mhz-/201461924070?hash=item2ee81100e6:g:v9MAAOSwLVZVvzBk

Anyone as experience with those ? Any idea of the production period ? There's virtually no infos available, googling leads inexorably to the same evilbay auction. That tends to keep me from buying this one, because I feel that if ever I must service it I won't find any schematics or service manuals...

Thanx in advance !

Best regards.

Eric

ricothetroll said:
Hi,

I'm starting to think about switching my old 1960 Philips GM5600 (tubes) for a more modern one. By modern I mean : not a tube one and hopelessly one that triggers better, even though that shouldn't be too hard.

I've seen this Rohde & Schwarz BOP 374.0020.02 (30 Mhz) on evilbay, it's cheap (for Europe), should be quite a step forward from the GM5600 I have.

Here's the auction :
http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Rohde-Schwarz-BOP-374-0020-02-Oszilloskop-30-Mhz-/201461924070?hash=item2ee81100e6:g:v9MAAOSwLVZVvzBk

Anyone as experience with those ? Any idea of the production period ? There's virtually no infos available, googling leads inexorably to the same evilbay auction. That tends to keep me from buying this one, because I feel that if ever I must service it I won't find any schematics or service manuals...

Thanx in advance !

Best regards.

Eric

Well at first, the auction says you will have to service the device and clean some contacts (i think that's the reason for the price). Besides that i'd rather recommend buying a digital device. I bought this one last week. Had mixed feelings about it as it is not a known brand. But it works great and regarding the price i am really impressed: http://www.batronix.com/versand/oszilloskope/Rigol-DS1052E.html
I also have an old tube oscilloscope but i think it does not compare anymore to latest digital devices

Thanx for your answer Weiss !

I think you're right, I asked the seller about the contacts and they seem to be pretty far, so I'll forget it.

I actually would like to stick with an analog one, I like this "direct" contact with the signal.
BTW I saw this today on the bay, HP 1980B + 1956A OSCILLOSCOPE MEASUREMENT SYSTEM COUNTER 2x100MHz :

Could that be interresting compared to a regular Tektronix 2235 or Hameg ?

Best regards.

Eric

Check in some military surplus.
I bought my Philips  oscilloscope that way.
Like brand new, 20-30 years stored in the army warehouse.
Army doesn't buy cheap equipment, but sometimes sells it cheap  ;)

Hi John,
Actually in Europe it's generally more expensive (we don't have those trucks full of 465 waiting to be sold that you seem to have in the US ;) ) but yes, I've found for example some Teks 2445 for about 300€, which isn't that bad, about the price of a Rigol 1052E.

I have an HP 1980B.  It's a fine scope.  But, I don't use it very much because it's very large and heavy.

Latest posts

Back