Subwoofer enclosure

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorin

This is my first post on this forum, first of all I just want to say hello to everyone. I'm pretty much just looking to get started doing some of my own DIY projects and this forum seems like a good place to start. I have an associates degree in electrical and utility engineering So I think I have a good foundation for the some of the knowledge needed to begin doing some projects of my own.
I thought for my first one I would start with somthing simple that could benefit my home studio.
So here's what I thought my first venture would be, I am slowly but shurley putting a home studio together and my monitoring is in need of a subwoofer. Since I am not rich and cant affoard a 2000$ sub I was thinking of designing and bulding a enclosure myself. I have plenty of experience doing this in an automotive enviroment but when it comes to the studio that's a different story.

First of all I was going to purchase a 10 or 12 inch sub and design the enclosure per spec of the manufacturer and power it with an external amp.

Will my efforts be worth it when the project is complete?

What type of sub do you guy's recomend?

What about a crossover active or passive?

thanks in advance
Sorin

Welcome, Soren.

> cant afford a 2000$ sub I was thinking of designing and bulding a enclosure myself.

You can do that, it is a respectable starter project. But frankly you can buy a kit for about the same as the parts.

PartsExpress subwoofer kits

That's also a good place for raw drivers and ready-made sub amplifier modules.

Obviously you can save money if you have boards and good woodworking skills. And you could build an amplifier; but subwoofers need a LOT of cheap power, and you probably can't collect the parts as cheap as a kit-maker can.

Thanks for the reply guys. Well in car audio I know who makes good raw drivers most companys want you to design an enclosure specifically for their driver. thats not the case in the home recording, companys want you to buy their monitors or subs with the enclosure pre made. I was wondering if their were any professional recording companys that sold drivers for somone to specifaclly design their own enclosure. I don't want to go and just buy any raw driver because I know that in the automotive world the manufacter makes a big difference in the final sound.

Sorin

Latest posts

Back