Re: FEELER: THE ULTIMATE Mic-PSU chassis - VINTAGE NEUMANN STYLE!! OPEN!
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2016, 02:56:15 PM »
Here are the parts from Mouser that definitely will fit the PSU cutouts.  I know for sure because I got some parts wrong (the banana jacks) the first time!  8)  Interestingly enough, Mouser just told me to destroy the parts that I requested to RMA because it's not cost effective for them to take back the parts but refunded the cost for them anyway.

Let me know if you have any better alternatives, but here's what I have installed on my PSU:

basic:
565-5931-0 - Pomona  banana jack (black)
565-5931-2 - Pomona banana jack (red)
691-2BL62-73 - DPDT power switch (close but has enough clearance away from toroidal transformer)
576-03455LS1H - Fuse Holder
568-NC3MD-LX-B - Gold Plated Neutrik Male XLR3 connector
562-703W-00/07 - IEC receptacle (as mentioned in the thread earlier, needs to be sanded down)

for M49:
611-A10303RSZQ - switch for polar pattern (for M49 build, not using a pot on mine and the one in Dany's PSU BOM has a actuator that is too long)
45KN012-GRX -  pointer knob, inexpensive and looks great IMO

For the lamp I just bought a Fender style lamp holder and a jewel from here:
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-L110

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:59:40 PM by mrerdat »

I apologize if I missed it in an earlier post but what is the part number for the chassis connector that supplies the power to the mic, not the 3 pin XLR.  I know that depending on different mics this might have different number of pins.  but I wanted to know where I could start looking.

stribor1

Anyone knows this web-shop?
https://www.don-audio.com/Power-Supply-Mic-Enclosure-MPS-700

They sell the same enclosure for 289€, pretty steep.

rainton

Anyone knows this web-shop?
https://www.don-audio.com/Power-Supply-Mic-Enclosure-MPS-700

They sell the same enclosure for 289€, pretty steep.

That's my chassis - he bought some from me, but the price he sells them for was a typo I guess  ;D
I wrote Aaron and he corrected it - now the webshop shows 158,27 Euros.

BTW: I also have a few Mic PSU chassis left - the price here on group DIY for members is still 105 Euros excl. VAT ea.
124,95 Euros incl. VAT if applicable...

In case somebody wants one - just let me know  :)
Martin

I just finished 2x M49 power supplies yesterday!  8)

I had to turn the PCB upside down in order to be able to mount the fender amp pilot lamp (mentioned a few posts above) because otherwise it would get in the way of C5.  The divider panel also had to be bent outward slightly by hand (like 1/4" or so) to accommodate the lamp. A minor issue to me, but worth noting for others who want to get a pilot lamp with different dimensions to be able to mount the PCB right side up.  I am also eschewing terminal blocks because they are more expensive and less reliable than soldering cables onto a PCB.

Transformer side (the resistor up top is something I had lying around and I'm using it for the lamp):

Side-by-side view:

Here's the audio connector side.  I'm debating if I want to leave the polar pattern switch unlabelled since it looks good already. Also I think the XLR looks so much better with the panel inside of the chassis.

So some pro/cons/critiques to help with version 2 (if Rainton is updating these in the future).

Pros:
- Looks awesome! Couldn't be happier with the appearance. This is debateable but I think it looks way better than old beat up original Neumann PSUs ever did.

- The handle feels/looks super high quality and is better than anything I've come across elsewhere.   It's thick and is probably less likely to get chewed up over time like thin leather handles are.

- Minimal metal working: for M49 just drill the hole for the cutoff switch and use a cutoff wheel to trim/notch the heater pot. The tiny predrilled pilot hole is an awesome touch and made things a lot easier.  By comparison my collective cases U67 power supply has a lot of small flaws in the metal work because I am not skilled with metalworking and had to drill/countersink all the holes myself.

- Time/money saved due to lack of metalworking needed to be done.  I'd say that you'd save easily 3-5+ hours and whatever money you'd end up spending on drill bits or other hardware. Easily worth the extra money this PSU case costs over other options.

Cons:
- I wish there was a bit more room for M49 PCBs to be farther away from the IEC Sockets.  It wasn't a huge problem but more clearance would help.

- The 6 chassis mount screws for the outer part of the enclosure.  It was sort of an ordeal putting the cases back together and ironically the hardest part of assembly because although the 2 screws on top went in little difficulty, it took a lot of work to align the 4 corner holes.  It feels like a 2 person job where you need one person to squeeze the PSU so that the chassis holes line up and the other person operates a screw gun.  I don't know if this is related to having the cases powder coated, but it feels ultra tight. Since I did it myself, I had to insert the screws at an angle to get started (very bad for screw threads).  I actually broke 2 screws inside the chassis for one of my cases and need to use a screw extractor and rethread the M3 holes.  Yikes.  Perhaps if these holes were drilled after the paint job (I know, easier said than done) the issue could easily be fixed?

rainton

Thanks for your extensive feedback!! :)

I'm really glad you like it and also I'm sorry for the inconvenience some spots might have caused.

As mentioned before the powder coating added more thickness to the material than I expected (my prototype wasn't powder coated) - hence the problems you experienced with mounting the 4 screws that hold the lid in place.

Also the position of the M49pcb will be changed if there's a future revision. If I remember correctly I also mentioned that the decision to place the M49 PSU pcbs at this position was made in order to make space for the bigger choke necessary for the M49 build.
The good thing for everybody else who's not building an M49 is, that the M49 PSU pcbs is the only one placed that far to the right.

Regarding the pilot lamp holder I would recommend using a fender style pilot lamp holder available at any guitar shop. If you want to keep it simple and use a 110-130V pilot lamp (available on the web)

For what it's worth - I built two M49 PSUs and one U47 PSU with my chassis already and even though it can be a little tough to fasten the 4 screws to mount the lid as mentioned above, I never had the problems mrerdat described in terms that:
- I always managed to mount the lids alone
- I never broke or damaged any screws while doing so

None-the-less: This is definitely something to be changed in a 2nd revision! As well as the placement of the M49 PSU pub and some other minor flaws I came across and I'm grateful for all your feedback, because only that will make a better product in the end.

So thanks again mrerdat for taking the time to give us such a detailed impression of your builds, thoughts and suggestions!
Martin

stelin

I had the same problem with the 4 screws that hold the lid in place.

I had to force the lid down to get the screws in. It was clear that it was the powder coat that was the problem: Have you seen the show American Chopper? The bike parts never fit when they come back from powder coating. Same problem.  :-)

After I extended the 4 holes in the lid downwards about 0.5mm with a round needle file, the problem was gone.  It only took five minutes per enclosure.

rainton

Re: THE ULTIMATE Mic-PSU chassis - VINTAGE NEUMANN STYLE discussion thread
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm preparing a White Market thread at the moment where I'll offer my chassis, so I renamed this thread to remain the place to discuss all build related questions and discussion

Martin

rainton

« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2016, 04:38:56 AM »
Mic PSU and some other chassis kits I did along the way are now available in the White Market:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=63423.0

:)

Aaudio

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2016, 07:17:15 AM »
Hi,
I wonder about the screw dimensions for the MK-U47 PSU build. Does anybody know?

Humner

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2016, 01:33:58 AM »
I want to try and use this chassis for another project.

Do you have dimensions of the inside of the PSU chassis. Can that middle internal separator panel be removed?

Thanks

rainton

« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2016, 05:50:40 AM »
I want to try and use this chassis for another project.

Do you have dimensions of the inside of the PSU chassis. Can that middle internal separator panel be removed?

Thanks

The dimensions of the chassis inside are:

Length:   236mm
Height:   130mm
Width:    116mm

Of course the internal separator can be removed - it's screwed in with two screws  ;)

rainton

We're working on a Rev.2 version of it.
This new revision will also support Chunger & Matador's universal tube mic pcbs (both passive and active) - so it will basically support ALL known mic pcb kits out there  8)

The  laser engraving in the dividing panel will reflect the changes and we made it easier to see which pcb belongs where.

Also we corrected some minor flaws - the M49 pcb will now be moved more towards the center of the chassis to allow for easier
wiring and we corrected some screw holes that made it difficult for some to attach the lid since powder coating had added more to the surface thant we expected. Now these screws should go in easily ;)

You can preorder as off today - and we plan to have the new ULTIMATE Mic PSU chassis kit MkII ready for shipping in 4 weeks.

finished it today. thanks, that saved a lot of time and looks great!
I'm just wondering what would be the best way to ground the mk u47?
For now i have the pcb, binder input, xlr out and test-jacks on a star ground..

donaudio

« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
Hello everyone,

I just want to let you guys now we finished a small batch of nice polar pattern plates for Martins awesome project. Here is a pic:

If someone is interested in it, they can be found here.

For questions, just give me a message.

Best

Don
The shape and feel is captured in our minds forever. What they created was more than just a knob.
,.-++-.,,.-++-.,,.-++-.,,.-++-.,,.-++-.,,.-++-.,