THE ULTIMATE Mic-PSU chassis - VINTAGE NEUMANN STYLE discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe just another two measurement pins and var pot hole for a heater section for everyone building for mic with separate heater circuit.

Jesse

JessJackson said:
maybe just another two measurement pins and var pot hole for a heater section for everyone building for mic with separate heater circuit.

Jesse

I'll consider that ;)
Just need to find a place for it. Maybe I can  design it the way the second pot can be adjusted from the bottom...

The case shown seems like a very nice construction.

The idea of using pre-punched holes for the handle, feet, cable connectors and switches appeals to me. This is because I will want them in the same place as has been predetermined.

The idea of pre-punching holes for the transformers and boards does not appeal to me. I  rather have full flexibility for parts sourcing and prefer a construction where every hole has a purpose and is utilized. I can easily drill through a case with a battery powered drill.

A use of threaded inserts seems like good design but I prefer the long lasting usefulness of a simple nut and bolt.  A loose insert has too much potential to cause inconvenience. I will not enjoy paying extra for that.

The pre-punched test point holes do not appeal to me because I regard using potentiometers for supply trimmers as a compromise and I want to adopt the use of wirewound variable resistors. If I want to trim the supply I will open the case. If I change my mind about potentiometers I have a drill.

Having said that I am in the USA and already own 4 collective case PSU boxes which I thoroughly enjoy.  It seems like the cases proposed here will end up priced at a premium for USA customers so my thoughts about the design may not be as pertinent as the ideas of those who are more likely to make a purchase.

If the case ends up being exactly as I prefer then the pricing doesn't matter. If it ends up seeming as a compromise with a premium price then the price will weigh heavily on a decision.

I normally avoid sharing opinions... who needs more of that stuff :) but I do like the case shown in the OP very much and if they do end up as nice as I might hope for I will be excited to use them.

Thank you.

Great,  I'd be in for two pieces for that price!

Basic holes for IEC, power, fuse and in/out (handle) would be enough for me, I'd prefer to drill the holes for TX, PCBs etc myself.

Great! Interest for 17 pieces already! :)
I think I'll take probably 3 myself, so we're crossing 20 by now. I'll just keep the Feeler open until we get 40 - shouldn't take too long considering this thread has been alive for only one week now ;)

This will make it cheaper for all of us.

Martin

Great idea to make easy access to the adjustment of the output voltage. Congratulations! Also willing to buy a couple.

I would like two. 
I just saw this a couple of days ago so I am trying to research which mics I want to build.  I am leaning towards a Telefunken 251 and a Neumann U87. 

Back