THE ULTIMATE Mic-PSU chassis - VINTAGE NEUMANN STYLE discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely agree with everyone on the thread about the quality of the PSU.  Excellent work!!

I have a question about mounting the 20v transformer for a M-49 build.  I've tried lining it up with every hole on the mounting plate but can only get the holes to line up when it is arranged diagonally as seen in the attached picture.  It's a bit close to the choke.  Can you confirm if this is correct or if there is another mounting spot?

Attachments

• 20160403_101256.jpg
    20160403_101256.jpg
    765.5 KB · Views: 135
mrerdat said:
I definitely agree with everyone on the thread about the quality of the PSU.  Excellent work!!

I have a question about mounting the 20v transformer for a M-49 build.  I've tried lining it up with every hole on the mounting plate but can only get the holes to line up when it is arranged diagonally as seen in the attached picture.  It's a bit close to the choke.  Can you confirm if this is correct or if there is another mounting spot?

Spot on! ;)
I chose the position because it seemed the best position so one has still access to screws/nuts on both sides and leave enough space for soldering the wires to the 20VAC transformer.

I'm working on a little guide to show you guys the easiest way to put a PSU together with my chassis. But I'm just so busy at the moment so it's taking a little longer.
Sorry about this.
Martin

Hi Martin ,
just a little note to say your PSU Enclosure is by far one of the best product I have seen on the market ,
it really has that vintage look and vibe to it :) Kudos.

In Summary

A) Beautifully designed ,
B) Beautifully thought on every aspect especially the pot stand heat sink capability of it
C) Very nice person to deal with
D) Very Sturdy and Professional
E) Just Awesome  8)

= will definitively buy from you again  when I have a bit of time available I will put down a link to your case on my website
just let me know how you would like it to appear.

Keep up the Good Work.
Best,
Dan,
www.vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com

mrerdat said:

Thanks for asking this, I was scratching my head while doing this as well!

Got it on Saturday! Looks great! Thank you!

rainton said:
fazeka said:
Hi Rain,

I do see that some are getting them now but have not received mine yet. Do you know when mine went out? You can PM me instead of replying here.

Thanks,
Chris

mail sent :)

I recently finished a PSU for an M49 with one of my PSU chassis.

Due to the square shape of the M49 PSU pcb I placed it on the far right on the dividing panel to give enough room for the bigger choke necessary for this build.
I realized that it gets packed on the IEC connector side and I might look for a better position in a future revision of the chassis.

For all other mics the pcbs are placed more towards the center of the chassis so it's not that much of a problem.

Anyway I thought since the space to the right of the M49 PSU pcb is so crowded I decided to do a little 10 step guide to show the order of steps which will make the build as simple as possible.

Before step one of this guide you should look for the tiny hole on that side of the chassis where the XLR and binder connectors go in. It's located approx. 2cm from the top edge. Enlarged this hole to fit the pattern switch necessary for M49 builds. Then mount all other connectors (XLR, Binder, IEC, fuse)

Then step 1 of my little guide here - place the mounting studs for the pcbs first:

280rxxf.jpg

Step 2 is mounting the power transformer and step 3 is mounting the choke. Also visible in the pic you see the mounting holes for the 20VAC transformer

35hjzw4.jpg

So step 4: mounting the 20VAC transformer:

wqr994.jpg

Step 5 is preparing the shaft of the voltage regulation pot with a metal saw so you can use a screw driver later to turn it:

zv6ame.jpg

When you're done mount it to the dedicated holder:

15ybu6h.jpg

From the outside it should look kinda like this:

2wh2kyd.jpg

Step 7 is to feed through all wires from the power transformers and connect them to the IEC, fuse holder and power switch.
Step 8: connecting the power wires to the pcb, soldering the choke wires and the wires leading to the adjustment pot to the pcb,
then mount the pcb (you might also connect a wire to 0V for case grounding already)
Step 9: mounting the pilot lamp holder (the mounting studs I used to mount the pcbs were rather long, so I decided to use some shrinking tube around the lamp holder to avoid contact between the lamp holder and the stud - see in the next pics)
Step 10 is wiring it all up :)

fa99xy.jpg

25hfj2d.jpg

And this is what it looks like from the other side:

2wmqnte.jpg

I hope this will help you a little ;)

If you build different mics with this chassis please feel free to post some pics here so we all can learn from it!

Martin

Is this the binder connector to use with the case?

Series 691: Female receptacle
    Termination Solder Termination
    Shielding non-shielded
    Number of Contacts 7
    Plating Silver
    Protection IP 40
    Locking System M25 Locking
Part #: 09 0044 00 07

dmp said:
Is this the binder connector to use with the case?

Series 691: Female receptacle
    Termination Solder Termination
    Shielding non-shielded
    Number of Contacts 7
    Plating Silver
    Protection IP 40
    Locking System M25 Locking
Part #: 09 0044 00 07

yes :)

Anyone interested in a group buy for the male and female from Binder? The pricing goes down for a larger order. I need 4.

Series 691: Male plug  Part # 09 0041 00 07
Additional Pricing
1-9 > $35.87
10-24 > $29.14
25-49 > $24.66

Series 691: Female receptacle  Part # 09 0044 00 07
Additional Pricing
1-9 > $27.30
10-24 > $22.18
25-49 > $18.77

dmp said:
Anyone interested in a group buy for the male and female from Binder? The pricing goes down for a larger order. I need 4.

Additional Pricing
1-9 > $35.87
10-24 > $29.14
25-49 > $24.66

Additional Pricing
1-9 > $27.30
10-24 > $22.18
25-49 > $18.77
Crap, I didn't see that. I just got mine in the mail. They are pretty pricey with single orders.

I would be. Is this for the MK-U47?

Chris

dmp said:

Additional Pricing
1-9 > $35.87
10-24 > $29.14
25-49 > $24.66

Additional Pricing
1-9 > $27.30
10-24 > $22.18
25-49 > $18.77

It's a 7 pin connector so would work for that one.
I'm doing a pair of EF47 and maybe m49s if I ever get bodies from the GB.
Maybe I should post in the black market

fazeka said:
I would be. Is this for the MK-U47?

Chris

dmp said:

Additional Pricing
1-9 > $35.87
10-24 > $29.14
25-49 > $24.66

Additional Pricing
1-9 > $27.30
10-24 > $22.18
25-49 > $18.77

I guess a 7pin connector will work for most tube mics...so yes.

...I also built MK-U47s with the Binder 5-pin connector and it worked great ;)
For the M49 you need 7pins though

Can anyone tell me what size the test jacks are? I ordered Johnson/ Cinch banana jacks from Mouser here in the states, and they are too small of a diameter than the cutouts are. I don't see the diameters listed on any data sheets. Are the "test jacks" bigger?

These are the test jacks the cutouts are made for:

http://uk.farnell.com/hirschmann-testmeasurement/972355101/receptacle-25a-4mm-quick-connect/dp/1011408?ost=972355101&selectedCategoryId=&categoryName=All+Categories&categoryNameResp=All+Categories

If you look for the item number I'm sure they're available at other stores too.

In Germany they're also available here:

http://www.voelkner.de/products/518180/Sicherheits-Laborbuchse-Buchse-Einbau-vertikal-Stift-4-mm-Rot-1-St..html

It's weird that Mouser Cinch docs don't have any diameter measurements.  I've found, and ordered  4 mm ones from Digikey. Thanks!

duantro said:
It's weird that Mouser Cinch docs don't have any diameter measurements.  I've found, and ordered  4 mm ones from Digikey. Thanks!

But please make sure the diameter of the mounting hole fits. 4mm is only the diameter of the connector pin.

The cutout for the connectors posted above is 12mm and so is the cutout in my chassis.

Here's some more measurements:

cutouts for:

power switch: 12mm
fuse holder: 12mm
Pilot lamp holder: 18mm
XLR:  D series
IEC: mounting hole distance: 39mm (sockets with 40mm will also fit)
Test jacks: 12mm

FYI: I just ordered Pomona #72913 from Mouser.

duantro said:
Can anyone tell me what size the test jacks are? I ordered Johnson/ Cinch banana jacks from Mouser here in the states, and they are too small of a diameter than the cutouts are. I don't see the diameters listed on any data sheets. Are the "test jacks" bigger?

Latest posts

Back