JohnRoberts

Re: The Middle East Friendship Chart
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2020, 07:41:40 PM »
The Jewish Press is reporting that Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has died.  They say that the official announcement from Iran will likely not happen until after the transfer of power.

Edit:  I should add that this report is, as yet, unconfirmed
There was just a public sighting so he isn't dead (yet), but appears to have been incommunicado, otherwise being seen in public again wouldn't be news.

JR

PS: Sudan has been removed from the list of state sponsors of terrorism, so the sands continue to shift underfoot over there. Like the "arab spring" uprising a few years ago, I am unsure they can put this genie back in the bottle. 
It's nice to be nice....

JohnRoberts

« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2020, 11:21:31 AM »
I haven't been able to find a clean video but Iranian backed fighters shot rockets into the green zone of Iraq. The anti-missile technology used to protect the US embassy was impressive in action.

I know that Israel pioneered anti-missile technology because of the near constant attacks from their neighbors.

JR

[update - just read that it was 21 missiles aimed at the US embassy in the green zone, that is arguably an act of war, but Iran probably wiped off their finger prints. Iran was reportedly behind the drone ship attack against Saudi oil. /update]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 04:57:41 PM by JohnRoberts »
It's nice to be nice....

JohnRoberts

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2020, 08:13:33 PM »
Not exactly middle east but I just read about a joint military flight over the sea of Japan and East China Sea, with Chinese and Russian strategic (big/high altitude) bombers flying together. They said there was no unspoken motive, but clearly international 3D chess playing odd man out against the US, and challenging the next administration.

Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan allies got the message loud and clear. This is also Putin posturing to punch above his weight on the world stage by playing footsies with China.

Interesting, don't underestimate China. The partisian debate over whether Russia or China are the bad guys is a false choice. They both want to bury us, both are the bad guys.

JR
It's nice to be nice....

JohnRoberts

« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
The world hasn't stopped turning and some are taking advantage of the preoccupation with the election to behave badly...

China has arrested more democracy activists in hong kong (something like 50 more in the latest arrest).

Russia and China performing joint military exercises... hmm

Iran seized a South Korean oil tanker in the straits of Hurmuz presumably for leaking oil, but will let them go if they release a release sanction related Iranian assets held by So. Korea (coincidence?).

An Iraqi oil tanker in the strati discovered a mine attached to it, but disarmed it.

Maduro in Venezuela has seated his puppet congress, so refuses to leave.

The Taliban have reengaged in peace talks with Afghan government in Kabul but we've seen this before.

Qatar has negotiated better relations with the Saudis and their other neighbors, so the progress toward a coalition of nations aligned again Iran in the region continues.

Iran has reported stepping up to 20% nuclear enrichment, the 2015 agreement called for <4%. Weapons grade requires 90%. 

There's more but those are a few high lights. 

JR
It's nice to be nice....