VF14ME???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby

www.mobytransformers.com BV.8, Bv.11, Bv.12, T14/1
GDIY Supporter
Who is this genius? http://www.ebay.com/itm/VF14-ME-Grove-Hill-Audio-Electronic-Alternative-for-a-VF14-Tube-for-U47-and-U48-/181951494174?hash=item2a5d27781e:g:aD4AAOSwp5JWYgpL
Ok, maybe it sounds OK, maybe im too rude (I don't know) but 950$ for SS tube is really too much. Maybe I'm wrong? ;)

I cannot believe there is more than $10 worth of components in there - OK, maybe $20. Maybe we should to a groupDIY one?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I cannot believe there is more than $10 worth of components in there - OK, maybe $20. Maybe we should to a groupDIY one?

Cheers

Ian

Yes, but who has $950 to blow to see what's inside?

I bet it's just a FET and a handful of passives including a power resistor to soak up the filament voltage and turn it into heat because "The VF14ME also emulates the thermal output of the original tube, allowing the electronic components, as well as the capsule, to be in the same temperature environment as the original."

I'm sure Ian's idea was to start from a scratch. But if u are curious about cloning, well, 950/10=95;;) naughty matematics ,)

Genius? To quote from the listing: "The sonic signature is different". Genius would be better than that.

My guess, without thinking too hard, is that it is probably a cascoded pair of FETs, JFET in the bottom and possibly a MOSFET in the top. Andreas Grosser has something similar, no?

Matt Nolan said:
Genius? To quote from the listing: "The sonic signature is different". Genius would be better than that.

My guess, without thinking too hard, is that it is probably a cascoded pair of FETs, JFET in the bottom and possibly a MOSFET in the top. Andreas Grosser has something similar, no?
sorry I missed to add " " for genius.

Matt Nolan said:

A pair of FETs would be my first attempt, if I´d want to make a replacement.
Andreas Grosser indeed has a SS replacement since many years. He told me that some of his top-notch-engineer-clients couldn´t hear the difference between an original VF14 and his substitute in the same mic. So his thingy seems to be very close, at least. And it´s a lot cheaper than from the "genius" above mentioned.

Andreas Grosser indeed has a SS replacement since many years.
  where can we get without sending to Andreas an actual U47 for VF14 replacement?

If we're serious, I'm in for $100-$200

(offered $200 to see if anything sticks, or what comes back... will update)

To invest 100-200 is OK with me, but are we sure that this VF14ME sounds close enaugh to the VF14. Who is this "genious"? American guy?

"New Product Alert!
Lift AV is receiving the first shipment of the new Grove Hill Audio Solid State VF14ME devices for U47/U48 Microphones.

The units are designed in Europe and made in the United Kingdom. They offer a "plug and play" alternative to the VF14 tube.
If you are one of the lucky ones with a vintage U47/U48 or a new Telefunken USA model, this may be of interest to you."

http://www.liftav.com/product/grove-hill-audio-vf14me-electronic-alternative-for-the-vf14m-tube/

"
Product Descriptions

The VF14ME is a solid state device, specifically designed for use in the NEUMANN or TELEFUNKEN U47 or U48 microphones.

Anyone who is fortunate enough to own an original U47 or U48 microphone is aware that the supply of original German manufactured VF14 tubes is exhausted and if available, are extremely expensive. Since Neumann ran out of their supply of VF14 tubes in the early 1960’s, many attempts for substitute tubes have been offered with varying and less than acclaimed results.

The original VF 14 tube is an extraordinary device, rich in harmonics. The interaction within the circuitry for the U47/U48 developed by Neumann in 1947 provides for a unique sonic character. The VF14ME is an alternative to the VF14/m in that it is a drop in replacement. The sonic signature is different, as are ALL replacements including Nuvistors, UF14’s, EF14’s EF86’s etc. We prefer the VF14ME for several reasons. There is no need to modify ANY of the U47’s or U48’s VF14 tube circuitry. It dissipates heat effectively, instantly turns on, has a very low noise floor, slightly more gain, and has the intended sonic personality of the original tube. We detail how to “work the mic” with the VF14ME so as to help understand how to excite the character of the circuitry. In short, this has to do with the proximity effect and how all of the circuit component interact and respond.

As with any modification, there are inherent sonic signature changes in harmonics and the dynamic character within the circuitry. This is true with all replacements even the modifications sanctioned by Neumann in 1962 when they offered Nuvistor tubes to replace the depleted stock of the venerable VF14. Ultimately, the VF14 provides the true magic of a well-tuned U47. There is no other replacement that has the harmonic content of the VF14 and the way it works dynamically in the circuitry.  We do not believe that there will ever be a replacement for this tube

We are representing that our VF14ME is a wonderful sounding, very low noise alternative that has a long term benefit for U47 and U48 owners.​

The VF14ME is manufactured to be a direct “plug and play” alternative for an original VF14 tube with no modifications to the microphone, cable or power supply. A confirmation LED is designed into the device to confirm that the microphone filament wiring is correct. The Grove Hill Audio VF-14ME can be used in any microphone that uses the VF14 tube as its amplifier.

Use of the VF14ME allows daily use of these exceptional microphones. Original VF14 tubes can be set aside and reserved for “special” occasions. In addition, the subtle sonic changes, inherent is all solid state devices, provides an alternative color palate allowing these microphones to provide the user with two, slightly different, yet similar color palates from one microphone. The “instant on” feature, lack of tonal change over time and slight gain enhancement provide additional positives.

The VF14ME mirrors the warm low end and many of the desirable properties of the original tube. We have also modeled the original noise floor and distortion to achieve, what we feel, is the best substitute for the VF14. The gain of the VF14ME has been increased slightly to allow the microphone to perform as it would have when the original VF14 tube was new.

The VF14ME duplicates the physical shape of the VF14 tube; it is able to be placed inside the microphone enclosure with identical pin orientation as an original VF14. The VF14ME also emulates the thermal output of the original tube, allowing the electronic components, as well as the capsule, to be in the same temperature environment as the original. The resulting sonic characteristics are extremely close to the original VF14M.

The Grove Hill Audio VF14ME is supplied in a special storage case and comes with a comprehensive manual and a 3-year warranty."

I asked the poster of the above who makes the thing, will update.

Are we sure someone hasn't already copied Andreas and this is what we're seeing?  Pure speculation..

[quote author=MicDaddy

Are we sure someone hasn't already copied Andreas and this is what we're seeing?  Pure speculation..
[/quote]
Well, if your speculation is true, then we talk about "real genious" ;) Andreas is so cool guy and he doesn't deserve it. If someone cloned his work and succeed to sell it for the price x3 I take my hat down.

Moby said:
[quote author=MicDaddy]

Well, if your speculation is true, then we talk about "real genious" ;) Andreas is so cool guy and he doesn't deserve it. If someone cloned his work and succeed to sell it for the price x3 I take my hat down.
[/quote]Presumably, this is why Andreas doesn't sell his solution separately, and only includes it if he services a genuine U47.

This morning told me that we should do VF14GD (GD Groupdiy) ;) Should we start the new thread and try to evaluate it together?

Andy Peters said:
MicDaddy said:
The original VF 14 tube is an extraordinary device, rich in harmonics.

In other words, it distorts easily.
Hmm, whenever someone say "distorts" I imagine Boss overdrive pedal ;) I would rather use  verb "saturate".

Moby said:
Andy Peters said:
MicDaddy said:

Hmm, whenever someone say "distorts" I imagine Boss overdrive pedal ;) I would rather use  verb "saturate".
You mean clipping or overload?  :eek:

Does dog poop by any other name smell less odious?

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Moby said:
Andy Peters said:
MicDaddy said:

You mean clipping or overload?  :eek:

JR
It is already a philosophical question. Depends on what he eats and if he is healthy. More or less poop stinks. I have a sensitive nose. I admit ;)

Moby said:
JohnRoberts said:

JR
It is already a philosophical question. Depends on what he eats and if he is healthy. More or less poop stinks. I have a sensitive nose. I admit ;)
=word play...    "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

carry on...

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Moby said:
JohnRoberts said:

JR
=word play...    "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

carry on...

JR
I choose to be happy rather than right :) Let's make some distortion!

Latest posts

Back