What's the longest time it took you to complete a record?
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
I just set my new record record - 17 years!

It started in 2000, cutting acoustic guitar and vocals of a terrific singer songwriter. Idea was we would infill the rest, as he didn't have a band. We were both going through a lot of crazy stuff at the time (woman trouble, imagine that) and drifted apart. But the songs were so good that I finished 4 or 5 of them, more as very evolved demos that real masters (no real drums)

Fast forward to 2016. I get an email from the guy saying "I thought I was done playing music. But I recently played some shows and the response was incredible. I need a product - will you produce it for me?" His idea was an acoustic guitar/vocal thing, real simple. But I save everything. I found the fleshed out demos and loaded them up in PT. He drove in from Houston and I played him the stuff. About halfway through he says "wow, this is great - who is it?" I replied "you". He had completely forgotten most of the songs and what we had previously done.  It was a super cool, emotional moment, the kind I live for doing music. He said, "well, we HAVE to finish that". Just got the replicated CD's yesterday. So 17 years from start to finish.

BTW, the guy is Doug Forrest in case you're interested.

scott2000

Re: What's the longest time it took you to complete a record?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
Wow That's an incredible journey for this art to see the light....

Very inspirational and I'm sure I'm just one more of many who can relate to how life can put things on the shelf for a bit!

Thanks for sharing!

emrr

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
Nice!

I just cut new vocals on a project that was 90% done in 1993.   It's been an odyssey getting the tracks into the computer from 1st gen ADAT's that hadn't been touched since 1994.    I think it will see a release eventually. 
Best,

Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

"I think this can be better. Some kind of control that's intuitive, not complicated like a single knob" - Crusty

"Back when everything sounde

Rocinante

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
My world/folk/gypsy-punk band SAI U DROM  just finished our album after 9 years. It was nearly finished in 2009 when my studio got destroyed in a flood taking the pc and back up hard drives with it.
The album is doing well and we haven't picked a label yet but we will eventually.
It's free to download or listen to
www.saiudrom.com
If there's a harder way to do this, I haven't found it yet.

pucho812

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:41:14 PM »
Does it count if the artist passed away and the record will never be finished?
Every mic has a purpose it might be a door stop or a hammer, but every mic has a purpose.

Whoops

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »
Nice Story, I'm really happy that you were able to finish it.

The longest for me was 2 years, to mix and master a record. The Artist was really insecure and it just drifted.
I know it doesnt look impressive compared to your 17 years, but in your case you stopped working and then reconvene years later, In this case was 2 years doing 15 mixes of each song, and 4 or 5 different masters, it was a mess and really tiring I never want to be in a situation like this again.

I have another record that is in backup for the last 7 years, but in this case unfortunately the Artist died, music is finished but it needs to be mixed. One day I'm sure it will be mixed and released but at this point the conditions are not met for it to happen.