glazer56

Splitting a signal for Dorrough meter
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Greetings,
I have a small mastering studio, and have just purchased a Dorrough loudness meter to check levels before I hit my converter. I have a Neve masterbus processor which is last in my chain, which feeds my converters. My question is; what is the best way to hook up the meter since the Neve only has 1 out? Will a Y split connector work fine? Or do I need some kind of buffer box to split the signal?

Many thanks!

Andy Peters

Re: Splitting a signal for Dorrough meter
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
Greetings,
I have a small mastering studio, and have just purchased a Dorrough loudness meter to check levels before I hit my converter. I have a Neve masterbus processor which is last in my chain, which feeds my converters. My question is; what is the best way to hook up the meter since the Neve only has 1 out? Will a Y split connector work fine? Or do I need some kind of buffer box to split the signal?

Check the data sheet for the meter. My guess is that it's got a standard balanced input which buffers the signal before the meter drive. As such, it looks like any other line-level input, so a simple Y cable should suffice.
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band"

pucho812

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:30:15 PM »
you will be fine doing  a mult.  on the outputs of the analog chain before going to digital land. 
Every mic has a purpose it might be a door stop or a hammer, but every mic has a purpose.

Phrazemaster

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
Here's a dumb question: wouldn't a Y cable cut the signal in half?
** * Kablooie!

JohnRoberts

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
Here's a dumb question: wouldn't a Y cable cut the signal in half?
No

JR
John Roberts
http://circularscience.com
Tune it, or don't play it...