DIY fader automation interest ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I use wrong word, you have no VAT in US like here in EU, but you still have sale tax.
What I mean is that if you (for example) manage the group buy, you will have to pay this sale tax, then send fader for EU buyer which will have more or less 25% VAT and import to pay (depending of country) when importing to EU, which mean EU buyer will pay twice (EU VAT and US sale taxes). It will be the same the other way

So my point is that it's maybe better to run two group buy, it need to be calculated, what option is the best regarding price.
Another point is the distributor/manufacturer warranty, for high pricing and qualities part like those fader, it's maybe better to buy from official "local" supplier.

For the moment I'm just questioning.
I still wait updated quotation from EU distributor

Best
Zam

Hi Zam, i'm interested in this project, when i conceived my mixer i left space in the fader section in order to accept an movente fader automation like this. I'd be interested in eight faders.

Paolo

P.s. Mixer thread here: http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=60690.0

pahstah said:
Hi Zam, i'm interested in this project, when i conceived my mixer i left space in the fader section in order to accept an movente fader automation like this. I'd be interested in eight faders.

Paolo

P.s. Mixer thread here: http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=60690.0

Hi Paolo
That's a really nice project you have :) bravo !!
What is the modules width in your design ? 1.5 inches API ?
Best
Zam

Hi Paolo
That's a really nice project you have :) bravo !!
What is the modules width in your design ? 1.5 inches API ?
Best
Zam
[/quote]

Thank you Zam!
yes, my project is based on 1.5 inches API, the proto you see in the thread uses a single 8 channel wide panel to cut the cost during development , but my idea is to have single modular channel for routing solo and mute and fader panel in group of 4 or 8 just as in api 1608.

pahstah said:
Thank you Zam!
yes, my project is based on 1.5 inches API, the proto you see in the thread uses a single 8 channel wide panel to cut the cost during development , but my idea is to have single modular channel for routing solo and mute and fader panel in group of 4 or 8 just as in api 1608.

Hi
It will fit with 1.5 inches pitch, but you need 4U length (fader is 152mm).
By the way what is your mute design based on? FET ? relay ? manual switch only?
Best
Zam

Paolo

I just have a more detailed look at your build, which is amazing.
I'm little scared about room in your design. It seem you won't be able to fit the led/button remote PCB as your routing PCB already take place at left hand of fader, approximately half way.

TKD have the motor at 0dB side, I suspect you don't have enough space between upper fader M3 screw and pan pot, you need minimum 19mm here. Have a look http://www.tkd-corp.com/products/fader/pdf/mf914s-e.pdf.
Also the motor will be so close from your output trafo (is it? direct out ?) not sure it even fit, I have relative  good result with motor noise here, but I think an audio trafo is the last component you want to have so close to a motor  :-X

So for what I see now I think you can't use the TKD fader, you need P&G or ALPS.

Regarding the the button and led you can leave without them, then every parameter have to be handled at DAW side, or you design a smaller version (it seem you have the skill for design 8) ) with less control to fit at the very lower side of the fader.

Best
Zam

Zam, you're right there's no room for the fader and pcb in this version of the mixer. In fact i was thinking about design a bigger version of the chassis with faders in their own 4U module and the routing part of the pcb on a 6U part but this will happen only if there will be interest in the mixer project.
Paolo

I must say I like the idea of possibly making everything in standard 19 inch 4u or 6 u for those of us who havent taken the time to learn metal work like you fine gents have. Lots of potential there.
I'm all for standing on the shoulders of others.

Zam,

I am a bit confused to why the P&G faders wouldn't work??  I have a line on some for a great price. Remember we on Group DIY!!
Do it yourself.. Not build someone else's perfect kit... :)

Eric

tskguy said:
I am a bit confused to why the P&G faders wouldn't work??

Hi Eric
I don't say they wouldn't work !!! I say I can't use them with my mechanical integration/design for my Studer 289.
There is in theory no reason they don't work with the electronic, I just don't try them nor core less motor (which is the P&G standard)
Best
Zam

Oh ok cool...

I have a line on some used ones for a good price.  Thanks again. How are things progressing by the way? Have you seen what Jeff Steiger is up to regarding automation??

Go to his Facebook page.  He did it.  Well him and a few others.  Its awesome.  Pretty much vca controlled  eight fader modules that offer daw control, automation, and recall in ot nuendo and logic but will be universal.
They will come in different formats e.g.one kind for retrofitting a console, one as a summing mixer fader pack, and another to replace ssl faders.
Very impressive at any rate.

well I just have a look...
Sound like death sentence for a release of my system, I can't "compete" here.
Don't know what to say  :(
Best
Zam

I'm not sure. Won't That VCA's add quite a bit of distortion? How much will those boards cost? Unless they cost significantly less, I think this project would probably be worth pursuing.

zamproject said:
Best
Zam

I disagree. You both have the same ideas but his is going to be pre built and yours will be build to taste.  If you were able to offer the 8 channel per board option for the fader controller it would possibly help keep some costs down both for you and others. I know your console doesn't allow for space like that but others do. Keep going man, you're doing great work.

-Casey

gato said:
I'm not sure. Won't That VCA's add quite a bit of distortion? How much will those boards cost? Unless they cost significantly less, I think this project would probably be worth pursuing.

The plan is clear...second release is a passive system with motor fader... "for folks to upgrade their old ..., Studer."
Is that a joke ?? a call ?? or I'm just paranoiac ??

signalflow said:
I disagree. You both have the same ideas but his is going to be pre built and yours will be build to taste.  If you were able to offer the 8 channel per board option for the fader controller it would possibly help keep some costs down both for you and others. I know your console doesn't allow for space like that but others do. Keep going man, you're doing great work.
-Casey

We will see.

Anyway tks both of you for support

Best
Zam

signalflow said:
zamproject said:
Best
Zam

-Casey

Ditto.
Yeah man I didn't intend on derailing you.  Its apples and oranges really.  I thought it was just another reference for you to use for ideas for your project.

Rocinante said:
Ditto.
Yeah man I didn't intend on derailing you.  Its apples and oranges really.  I thought it was just another reference for you to use for ideas for your project.

Hi
I won't derail !  :)
Whatever happen I will finish and use what I'v done, it's a matter of weeks.
Best
Zam

Zam,

Yes please continue!! Jeff's initial release is only VCA and not motorized.. I am sure you can to the table first with a motorized solution.

Eric

Latest posts

Back