DIY fader automation interest ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't have a problem with SMD.
It's been on the list of things I want to learn, so this could be great.

Hi all

I don't update sooner sorry, but I have lot of work because I relocate my studio this summer.
Also I have issue with my fader order, I wont talk to much about this because it's a f... mess (not my fault at all) and I lost one more month, anyway the result is I unmounted everything few weeks ago, send back all my motor fader and wait for another batch.. Should have them tomorrow !!! but I'm so busy I don't know when I will be able to finish the revB PCB and test them.
I think the main PCB with digital and analogue I/O will be 4 layers, SMD for all chips.
Stay tuned  8)

Best
Zam

Hi all

Some new and little poll

The issue I have with the fader is that TKD send me math log curve in place of the audio log curve I order.
They say they won't manufacture audio log any more for MF914, which is a f... shame.
They finally send me back a batch of 16pces audio log but seem it's the last run, with very low stock.

So what do you guys think?
Stick to this high end motor fader but with no option except math log (same scale as you find in VCA faders, linear dB scale)
Start to test another series (I have LMH5 in mind) which have the advantage of pin contact to fit/solder the pcb directly to the fader, but with a deep revision of the PCB which I will never use at my side (just to say I have to find motivation to do it...)

happy summer/holiday to all  ;)
Zam

Why don't you stick with the the faders you have since they're what you want and let us do any tests?
Many projects here work like that. I'm down to start work on it today.

Hi all

Summer update
I take few hours to test some change/improvement
Now the system run at 11bit (2048 steps for 100mm travel) without any jitter, previously it was 10bit clean and some jitter at 11bit).
I also change the power transistors for a stronger one, better dissipation and less heat. It was impossible to touch the previous one, and failure issue with a batch (still thinking it was a faked ref). Now it's safe.

I try to work at V2 pcb when I'm not building walls  :)
The main PCB is now 4 layer, all IC with SMD package.
Motor PCB have minor change and remote PCB is fine as is.

I wish I can order a new pcb run for early September, I'll keep you all informed  :)

Best
Zam

Really, really cool!
By the way I have someone in my family working with smd components all the time (near Toulouse)
What would be the estimated cost per channel now?
How hard it is to fit the system in your Studer for example?
Quality of sound is untouched with the new system fitted?
Quite a great thing to give automation to oldies :)

Bravo!

Hi thekid

Prototype cost me around 4k (with some mistake and already faders and front panel for 16 pces)
It is designed to fit my Studer so it fit well...
As the fader is passive, no change in sound, still little motor sparkle around mixer noise floor.
Resistive material is modern CP, and low resistive touch of the wiper keep the sliding noise far away, even at fastest move.

Best
Zam

Thanks Zam!
Are you near to success?
I watched the video and it seem really cool…and great looking!
I would be very interested to get your system when you'll be done, does it work with ethernet-protools now?
If you're interested to develop it more and sell it to the "masses", I guess the person of my family (smd components) could help…

Hi

It's a success since few months, but I take me time to fine adjust/test  some improvement and now completely redraw the main PCB with 4 layer and SMD package.
It use midi over MCU protocol (no PT compatibilities for now...), tested with USB midi and RTP-midi (ethernet)
I'm not planing a mass production.
For what desk are you interested ?
Best
Zam

Hi Gato

It's going stand by  :(
I desperately try to find half a day since one month for the final check/order of the V2 pcb...
Moving the studio (and private house) take me more time than expected, i'm over busy. I'm one month late, at least.
Now everything is a the right place..waiting for rebuild  :eek:

My Studer have 4cm modules, but the wider pcb is 3.4cm (motor driver pcb) it will fit 3.81cm/1.5in channel

Best
Zam

Hi all

2017 update...
I'm sorry to take so long for this, but the studio relocation eat all my time past months...
Now it's better, I double/triple check the revised pcb and I just order them :)

I order 15 pcb set (one set is for 8 fader), I think I will let go 10 to 12 for this first batch, I need at least two and one is reserved for the software creator.

More info soon  ;)

Best
Zam

gato said:

yeah  :)
at least one set locked for you as say by PM  ;)

I will tell price as soon as pcb arrives here with vat and custom fees,
as all requested documentation.

Best
Zam

Wow!
Great piece of music!
I'm super impressed with how user friendly it is. This really turns the faders into an instrument. That is all I've ever dreamed of.

gato said:
Wow!
Great piece of music!
I'm super impressed with how user friendly it is. This really turns the faders into an instrument. That is all I've ever dreamed of.

Hi gato

Thanks ! not sure this music is so great here... it's just a (third) kind of quote... for fun  8)

here is a second one which show better how grouping is handled at user interface, also some demo waves/random ramps/random steps
-left hand blue button create group
-second one suppress group
-third is suspend group
-at right hand, blue button is just a shift function for the select
-the blink blue is a PANIC, disable all motor at hardware side (no midi data involved here) useful when playing back a stereo mixdown in the same DAW/computer without having to deactivate ALL automation play

It's how I set it now, but all button/led are fully assignable to whatever you want (multi layer is possible)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1pEPkPZZaE

Best
Zam

Back