DIY fader automation interest ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pahstah said:
Simply wonderful!!

Paolo

Hello Paolo

Many thanks !
I already lock 1 set for you, as promised few month ago ...
As the console builder you are (amazing work btw), i'll really like to saw this loaded in your desk, I can't have better feedback than this...
I also have to contact Ian with his tube mixer, not sure he comes around this corner.
I'll update soon with details

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Hello Paolo

Many thanks !
I already lock 1 set for you, as promised few month ago ...
As the console builder you are (amazing work btw), i'll really like to saw this loaded in your desk, I can't have better feedback than this...
I also have to contact Ian with his tube mixer, not sure he comes around this corner.
I'll update soon with details

Best
Zam

Thank you Zam!! looking forward to have the set in my hands!!
by the way, i'm currently working on new version of my mixer so the automation would be the perfect companion for it! 8) 8)

Paolo

Hi all

News of the day !
I'm able to use HUI protocol !!!
It's just the first step and I'm not sure I will go further to investigate this as I don't use ProTools, but I downloaded the demo version of midi translator, and now all the fader respond with my DAW in HUI mode  :)
I don't perform intensive test, can't say about the possible extra latency, also HUI is 9 bit so the system is downgraded to 512steps --> 0.2 mm

Voilà  ;)

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Hi all

News of the day !
I'm able to use HUI protocol !!!
It's just the first step and I'm not sure I will go further to investigate this as I don't use ProTools, but I downloaded the demo version of midi translator, and now all the fader respond with my DAW in HUI mode  :)
I don't perform intensive test, can't say about the possible extra latency, also HUI is 9 bit so the system is downgraded to 512steps --> 0.2 mm

Voilà  ;)

Best
Zam

HUI fader data width is 10 bit (1024 steps)
The MIDI bytes to send the fader channel 1 data:

0xB0 0x2F 0x40
0xB0 0x00 MSB
0xB0 0x20 LSB

in C++ language, the most significant bit and least significant bit can be calculated with this formula:

MSB = ((1023 + i) >> 3) & 0x7F;
LSB = ((1023 + i) << 4) & 0x7F;

i = fader wiper voltage converted to a 10 bit digital value

Hi metalb00b00

Ok, lets go further then, with some precisions

HUI is tweaked midi (as you show) it act more or less like RPN/NRPN, so its a 14 bit message
At 89MotioN the software MIOS send/receive 14bit PB midi data, AD and DA for analog motor driver are 12bit
With my DAW which is Digital Performer, using MCU actually send/receive full range pitchbend value (RPN 14bit)
checked with 30 min automation ramp, it increment whithin 1 in the 14384 steps)
Now in HUI mode my DAW only send  MSB  0-127(7bit) steps and LSB is 4 steps (in 7bit format...) value 0-31-63-95 only
it end with 128x4 possible value 512steps, 9 bit

Here is where come my math

BUT if other DAW handle better or full(14bit)  definition by sending/receiving HUI type fader data you will have better than 512 steps
I don't have Protools, I can't test this  :-\

Best
Zam

additional note:

MIOS is unable to handle the tweaked HUI data, that's why I try a translator that can handle row midi data

I just convert pitchbend to row data "0xb0 0x0n 0x(low) 0xb0 0x2n 0x(hi)" (n=fader from 0 to 7)

zamproject said:
additional note:

MIOS is unable to handle the tweaked HUI data, that's why I try a translator that can handle row midi data

I just convert pitchbend to row data "0xb0 0x0n 0x(low) 0xb0 0x2n 0x(hi)" (n=fader from 0 to 7)

that's your error. you're sending the least significant bit first instead of the most significant bit.
see the example i gave for channel fader 1.

edit: added a link for a video capture of a HUI fader app I wrote in '03 controlling a channel fader in Pro Tools 10.

http://sendvid.com/limwg1dg

metalb00b00 said:
that's your error. you're sending the least significant bit first instead of the most significant bit.
see the example i gave for channel fader 1.

Hi

yes! it's a typo sorry... inverting value make the physical fader only have 4 positions, but toggled 128 time in a full fader move at DAW :)
I repeat the 9 bit limitation is at my DAW side, HUI driver don't send all LSB values in the 0x00 to 0x77 range... but only 4 value

example, HUI full fade-in:
0x00 0x00
0x00 0x20
0x00 0x40
0x00 0x60
0x01 0x00
0x01 0x20
0x01 0x40
0x01 0x60
0x77 0x00
0x77 0x20
0x77 0x40
0x77 0x60
total 512 steps / 9 bit

While RPN 0 0 (pitchbend) used by MCU send
0x00 0x00
0x00 0x01
0x00 0x02
0x00 0x03
0x77 0x75
0x77 0x76
0x77 0x77
total 16384 steps / 14 bit

Best
Zam

Marko said:
...absolutely fantastic!!

Thank Marko  :)

Since one week I'm mixing/producing songs with friend with the new steup.
16 faders is just a dream to work with, this was my end goal to fit all mono channels, and asap finish the wiring of 12VCA card I have for the stereo channels post fader insert (already tested and work well with the 12bit DAC).
But now I'm hardly thinking to add fader automation at my 6 stereo channels and 4 stereo aux return...

Also I beta test an implemented solo safe function (software side).
It use banking and multi layer at led/button to select a channel solo safe status with the solo button.
As word say, it avoid channel mute (analogue side) if a solo is pressed at any other channel.

Best
Zam

Stereo channels seem like a good addition but imo aux and for that matter master fader would be unnecessary. How often do you adjust the aux faders?  Do you have a lot of outboard reverbs?  For me personally any adjustment is on the delay or reverb unit itself with maybe adjustments on the actual channel aux. Damn half the time i use it only during recording to give the client a wet mix. I dont own a bricasti though.

Rocinante said:
Stereo channels seem like a good addition but imo aux and for that matter master fader would be unnecessary. How often do you adjust the aux faders?  Do you have a lot of outboard reverbs?  For me personally any adjustment is on the delay or reverb unit itself with maybe adjustments on the actual channel aux. Damn half the time i use it only during recording to give the client a wet mix. I dont own a bricasti though.

Hey

My Aux return modules are closes to stereo modules, with full EQ etc... it happen I use them like stereo channels
Also I like to play with different space, meaning  manual move at aux return faders, or cut at the master/bus send from these channels. I basically hook a Lex 80 and two springs (including  a BX20), and my virus B syth, which play sound from here or like  FX box as it have audio in too (from aux send).

Best
Zam

Back