Newbie Question: Digikey alternate part?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I'm ordering the digikey parts for the SSL comp and Panasonic has discontinued the digikey parts P2057-ND and P2064-ND (.47u 35v tant cap. and 6.8u 35V tant cap.). Digikey suggested I order 399-1427-ND and 399-1434-ND (which appear to be of the same values) instead. No biggie, right?

Also, my materials look like they're going to cost about $350 for the digikey/mouser parts alone, $100 for the par-metal case....then trannies, front pannel...what happened? I'll double check my orders again, but I wasn't expecting it to add up to this mucy.

:mad:

[quote author="twitchmonitor"]Digikey suggested I order 399-1427-ND and 399-1434-ND (which appear to be of the same values) instead. No biggie, right?[/quote]
Kemet has been doing tantalum capacitors for a long time, and hence they're pretty good quality. No big deal at all.

Since you're using Mouser and Digikey, here are some hints for keeping the cost of parts down on one-off projects:

1. Always cross check every part number with both distributors to see who sells it cheaper. For example, Mouser has those Kemet tantalum caps for less than Digikey.

2. Digikey adds a $5.00 handling fee to orders under $25, while Mouser does not.

3. United States Postal Service cost less than UPS Ground for orders of 1lb or less.

4. Small Resistors - Yageo are the cheapest at Digikey with minimum quantities of 5 and Xicon are the cheapest at Mouser with minimum quantities of 10. As of recent I've noticed that all the 1/4 and 1/2 watt carbon film yageos I buy are under value by the same amount, despite the +/- 5% rating, while the xicon metal film are all slightly above by the same amount. If you can analyze the circuit and figure out which resistors do not need to be exactly in tolerance you'll save money by using Yageo carbon film there.

[quote author="Family Hoof"][quote author="twitchmonitor"]Digikey suggested I order 399-1427-ND and 399-1434-ND (which appear to be of the same values) instead. No biggie, right?[/quote]
Kemet has been doing tantalum capacitors for a long time, and hence they're pretty good quality. No big deal at all.

Since you're using Mouser and Digikey, here are some hints for keeping the cost of parts down on one-off projects:

1. Always cross check every part number with both distributors to see who sells it cheaper. For example, Mouser has those Kemet tantalum caps for less than Digikey.

2. Digikey adds a $5.00 handling fee to orders under $25, while Mouser does not.

3. United States Postal Service cost less than UPS Ground for orders of 1lb or less.

4. Small Resistors - Yageo are the cheapest at Digikey with minimum quantities of 5 and Xicon are the cheapest at Mouser with minimum quantities of 10. As of recent I've noticed that all the 1/4 and 1/2 watt carbon film yageos I buy are under value by the same amount, despite the +/- 5% rating, while the xicon metal film are all slightly above by the same amount. If you can analyze the circuit and figure out which resistors do not need to be exactly in tolerance you'll save money by using Yageo carbon film there.[/quote]

Thanks, FH, good to know for the future. As it turns out, I bungled the whole ordering process from stem to stern. I ordered an all aluminum chassis from par-metal, then noticed that the SSL parts list that folks put together indicated the the aluminum and steel ones are fine (and $50 less!), my mouser order got submitted twice and hence was twice as expensive, etc. got it all sorted out now. And I thought building it would be the tough part!

ordering parts is always tougher to me. there are SOOO many variables between manufacturers that it can be almost impossible to choose any specific setup without having to research every little part that is included.

but.. that IS the price we pay for choosing to do this the way we do it.

so DIY on!

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back