Addressable LEDs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a really good idea for easy control. I wonder if it's fast enough for stuff like peak detection/VU-in-a-spot?

The showstopper for product use would be the 800KHz clock/data line that puts you far into FCC-land

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Looks like a really good idea for easy control. I wonder if it's fast enough for stuff like peak detection/VU-in-a-spot?

The showstopper for product use would be the 800KHz clock/data line that puts you far into FCC-land

Jakob E.

Even if you have to shift 100 bits of data to change one LED and you had 8 LEDs you would still be able to change the lot at a 1KHz rate which I would have thought plenty fast enough for a VU meter!!

I agree about the EMC aspect though. It is bad enough having a tiny micro in there zapping away at a few MHz but an 800KHz bus of any length is going to be asking for trouble.

Cheers

ian

There are latched LED driver (current sources) that can drive 16 lines with one data pin, one clock, and one latch line. These can be cascaded so any number of leds could be driven, using single SPI com port.

Putting more silicon inside display elements sounds like a expensive solution when you have a micro-computer already in the design.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Putting more silicon inside display elements sounds like a expensive solution when you have a micro-computer already in the design.

JR

That was my immediate reaction be these things are 50 cent parts

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Anyone had any experience with these new fangled addressable LEDS:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Demystifying-4-pin-addressable-RGB-LEDS/

Looks like a handy way of driving any number of tricolour LEDs from a single pin of a micro.

Cheers

Ian

G-d forbid Instructables includes a link directly to the relevant data sheets ... and the IC is "discreet" too, which I suppose is why they don't post the data sheet.

Anyway, the signal format looks to be simple PWM for each bit, with the duty cycle determining whether the bit is '1' or '0'. Bit-banging is possible, but take care that you don't spend all of your time dealing with the pixels and not servicing everything else.

-a

Latest posts

Back