DR-73 NEVE Preamp/EQ from DIY-Racked

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptpfeffer

Hi Folks,
just finished my first (of 4) DIY Racked DR-73 Neve 1073 clones. The difference to other 1073 clones is the High Frequency part, which is from the 1084. Very nice, since the Frequency can be changed from 12 to 10, or 16kHz ;-) The two In transformers are Marinair T1447, they give 3dB more juice than the originals. Output Is a LO1166 Marinair,  old used Neve Mixing desk part ;-)
All Filtercaps are old NOS Mullard Mustards and old NOS Styroflex Caps ;-)
Greets,
Bernd

Attachments

• IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3069.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,034
It looks perfectly built,
I just dont see any reason for the excessive wiring and connectors in this build,
It made sense for Neve back then because they could use different boards for different parts of the desk, so the modular approach on the pcb's had a reason.
But in DIY where you can have all in once PCB why to have the extra wiring and soldering , connectors, different boards?
Makes no sense to me

I guess with the nice 1073 projects that were already around here Purusha had to find a way of still making profit from new people that arrive in the audio DIY world and make them believe that all that trouble has any reward.

Hi Whoops,

thanks for the compliment of the perfect build.
I made both the AML and the DIY-Racked Neve clone. The sound-ifference is not very high, but it is notable. One can argue weather it is the Caps, the Transformers, the original PCB layout, no Idea. But one important issue when DIY ing is the fun in building. Thats probably one of the best reasons to build Tat`s 1073. Why then should people build Pultec clones P2P when there are PCBs all around? It is the making that defines the DIY "Virus". That at least is true for me ;-)
And it is fun to take off the top plate and just admire the components and the "magic" in the guts.
All the best,
Bernd ;-)

Hi Peter,
they come together with the partial kit from DIY-Racked. But the LED is actually a separate part. It is just located behind the switchcap. You need switchcaps with a "glass" part on one side ;-)
Greets,
Bernd

Under the hood:

Case + PCB      DIY RACKED
Knobs                Marcorni(Jeff)
Switches          Ed Blore
IRON                  Marinair
Inductors          Charnhill

Attachments

• 02DR73.jpg
    02DR73.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 387
peterc said:

DIY-racked... Safe products ? I asking myself because i took 2x DR-73  and 1 secret brickwall limiter project , already paid,  but few minutes ago i saw some very strange rumors of this supplier (on this forum)... Who can i trust ?

Maybe i made a mistake, and it was maybe an easier and a safer way with aml... 

For sure i will let you know if i have regrets, as soon as i finish those builts.

i trust them too, but regarding the reviews..DR-73 is better than Ez1073. It looks awesome too...

Back