Stam

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I'm sure it's been mentioned here but a search didn't yield anything.  Is Stam Audio a user on here?  I just saw the new SSL they're putting out, and it looks very much like our beloved GSSL.  Is it a partnership of sorts with Gyraf?  The preorder price is quite low..to the point where DIY doesn't even make sense anymore.

Thanks,
Sig

I think I read a comment not long time ago where, stam was "accusing" warm for stealing their design (la2a).

warpie said:
I think I read a comment not long time ago where, stam was "accusing" warm for stealing their design (la2a).

If you did, find it and post a link.  Otherwise you are just spreading gossip...And still no word on whether Gyraf has a deal with Stam.  Lots of folks making $ on clones, so competition might get ugly. 

stam says warm stole it from who? They both stole it from UA who  has urei lineage who purchased it from babcock electronics and their broadcast division who  purchased teletronics from the original designer jim lawrence.

As for jackob and the rest at gyraf, I am pretty sure they are not making deals on DIY stuff.  Read the DIY page sometime, it explains it all in detail how it is not for profit, etc,etc . More over the gssl although inspired by the ssl buss compressor, is not the same. 

mjrippe said:
warpie said:

If you did, find it and post a link.  Otherwise you are just spreading gossip...
I have no reason whatsoever to spread gossip. I'm not interested neither on stam nor on warm gear. I just said what I read….  ::)

"It´s sad to spend a year and a half researching, developing and testing parts to get the SA-2A to sound 100% identical to an original UREI LA-2A for another company to come along, get one of your units, open it and copy your work. I know it is a clone and there is no room for morals here, I just wished people did their own research and homework to bring this baby back to life which nobody had done before so faithfully instead of taking the easy path and let someone else do the work for you to then make huge profits out of it.
On the good side of things it´s a compliment to our work and shows who knows and doesn´t know what they are doing. We still offer a superior product at the same price, better components = better recordings.
I will not reveal the source nor mention who the company is, you can do the math.
Thanks for your support.
Stam."

'You copied my copy' moaning

If you make money from someone’s else work (circuit designs and R&D doesn't fall from heaven) be sure that other guy will try to make money from your work.

For me it's ok (more or less) to sell clones for make a little money, but making low cost units blowing out the market and then cry because someone is cheaper than you...

Study, design something and then you could complain about copying your work.

PCB design is just join the dots together today, something any of us could do in a few hours, not enough to claim any kind of IP...

I came across Stam on Facebook. Claims their (g)SSL has an "all discrete signal path." This comes with a gut shot showing literally all the same ics including the THAT vcas. uhhhhhgggg.

Latest posts

Back