fet500 gain reduction off

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bafonso

Hi everyone,

I've been getting more into outboard gear versus ITB stuff to process my instruments, ranging from guitar and bass to synths and drum machines.

I decided to get a 1176 first so I would use it even before my ADC and that's been working great, love the 1176 sound. For a while I wondered about building a fet500 (hairball kit) but a wa76 showed up for a great price.

As far as I can tell, the bigger operational differences between the wa76 and the fet500 are the ability to bypass and more interestingly to me, the ability to turn gain reduction off. Are people using this mode in order to get the transformers color ? How hard can you drive the signal to get that nice buzz ? The only way to get that on the wa76 is to not hit the threshold for compression, so there's only so much you can drive the signal. I'm just curious if it's a worthwhile addition... I mean, I only need an excuse to start building stuff, love me some DIY... :)

thanks

Back