News:

Happy New Year!

john12ax7

Independent Controls Necessary on Stereo EQ?
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:11:17 PM »
For mix and mastering applications do you guys ever use different settings for left and right on the EQ? Was thinking if I build an EQ will just make one set of controls for both. Seems better to me, but wondering other peoples thoughts.

Whoops

Re: Independent Controls Necessary on Stereo EQ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:49:37 PM »
Rarely,
but sometimes I do.

ruffrecords

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 03:43:55 AM »
If it is a stand alone EQ and it has stepped controls then you could make it with separate controls. This would make it easier to build, the switches should be cheaper and you can still use it as two separate EQs when tracking.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »
For mix and mastering applications do you guys ever use different settings for left and right on the EQ?
It happens, particularly with older material or live-from-the-mixer recordings. In that case I would EQ the two channels separately, probably within a DAW.
IMO, a mastering-ready mix would be exempt of such flaws. I always use stereo EQ, comp and whatnot at the mastering stage. Before, anything is fair...
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
"The important thing is not to convince, but to give pause for thought." (B. Werber)
Star ground is for electricians.

audiomixer

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
Dont' want to be picky but wouldn't you call a dual EQ with independent controls a dual mono unit? Stereo EQ then is one with single control for both channels, hopefully with good tracking as well.

Michael

kante1603

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
For mix and mastering applications do you guys ever use different settings for left and right on the EQ? Was thinking if I build an EQ will just make one set of controls for both. Seems better to me, but wondering other peoples thoughts.
I often want seperate controls,especially when I do mid/side techniques.Definetely the better way to have two sets of controls or better said to use it as a dual mono eq.

Best regards,

Udo.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
I often want seperate controls,especially when I do mid/side techniques.Definetely the better way to have two sets of controls or better said to use it as a dual mono eq.

Best regards,

Udo.
Indeed, for M/S processing, the controls should be completely separate, but as soon as coming back into the L/R realm, all processing should be utterly identical on both sides.
Pre-mastering should take care of any differences that would justify different processing. This is my opinion, no one has to adhere to it! ;)
"The important thing is not to convince, but to give pause for thought." (B. Werber)

kante1603

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 12:39:40 AM »

Best regards,

Udo.
Indeed, for M/S processing, the controls should be completely separate, but as soon as coming back into the L/R realm, all processing should be utterly identical on both sides.
Pre-mastering should take care of any differences that would justify different processing. This is my opinion, no one has to adhere to it! ;)
Yes,that's what I meant.
In L/R-mode they should be identical of course.Best done with stepped controls in the analogue domain I think.
To have all the options two sets of control is what I prefer.

Best regards,

Udo.

john12ax7

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 01:35:45 AM »
I want the channels the same 90% of the time, so that's why was thinking of building an EQ with just one set of controls. But I suppose the ultimate would be independent independent controls with a switch to allow one set of controls to to control both.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 01:49:25 AM »
I want the channels the same 90% of the time, so that's why was thinking of building an EQ with just one set of controls. But I suppose the ultimate would be independent independent controls with a switch to allow one set of controls to to control both.
That's a costly solution. You need to duplicate all the switches and add a change-over switch.
Why not use just one channel of the stereo EQ to provide "differential EQ"?

john12ax7

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 02:30:00 AM »
Actually yeah a differential would be interesting