Independent Controls Necessary on Stereo EQ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

For mix and mastering applications do you guys ever use different settings for left and right on the EQ? Was thinking if I build an EQ will just make one set of controls for both. Seems better to me, but wondering other peoples thoughts.

If it is a stand alone EQ and it has stepped controls then you could make it with separate controls. This would make it easier to build, the switches should be cheaper and you can still use it as two separate EQs when tracking.

Cheers

Ian

john12ax7 said:
For mix and mastering applications do you guys ever use different settings for left and right on the EQ?
It happens, particularly with older material or live-from-the-mixer recordings. In that case I would EQ the two channels separately, probably within a DAW.
IMO, a mastering-ready mix would be exempt of such flaws. I always use stereo EQ, comp and whatnot at the mastering stage. Before, anything is fair...

Dont' want to be picky but wouldn't you call a dual EQ with independent controls a dual mono unit? Stereo EQ then is one with single control for both channels, hopefully with good tracking as well.

Michael

john12ax7 said:
For mix and mastering applications do you guys ever use different settings for left and right on the EQ? Was thinking if I build an EQ will just make one set of controls for both. Seems better to me, but wondering other peoples thoughts.
I often want seperate controls,especially when I do mid/side techniques.Definetely the better way to have two sets of controls or better said to use it as a dual mono eq.

Best regards,

Udo.

kante1603 said:
john12ax7 said:
I often want seperate controls,especially when I do mid/side techniques.Definetely the better way to have two sets of controls or better said to use it as a dual mono eq.

Best regards,

Udo.
Indeed, for M/S processing, the controls should be completely separate, but as soon as coming back into the L/R realm, all processing should be utterly identical on both sides.
Pre-mastering should take care of any differences that would justify different processing. This is my opinion, no one has to adhere to it! ;)

abbey road d enfer said:
kante1603 said:
john12ax7 said:

Best regards,

Udo.
Indeed, for M/S processing, the controls should be completely separate, but as soon as coming back into the L/R realm, all processing should be utterly identical on both sides.
Pre-mastering should take care of any differences that would justify different processing. This is my opinion, no one has to adhere to it! ;)
Yes,that's what I meant.
In L/R-mode they should be identical of course.Best done with stepped controls in the analogue domain I think.
To have all the options two sets of control is what I prefer.

Best regards,

Udo.

I want the channels the same 90% of the time, so that's why was thinking of building an EQ with just one set of controls. But I suppose the ultimate would be independent independent controls with a switch to allow one set of controls to to control both.

john12ax7 said:
I want the channels the same 90% of the time, so that's why was thinking of building an EQ with just one set of controls. But I suppose the ultimate would be independent independent controls with a switch to allow one set of controls to to control both.
That's a costly solution. You need to duplicate all the switches and add a change-over switch.
Why not use just one channel of the stereo EQ to provide "differential EQ"?

Back