rainton's True To The Original PULTEC EQP1-A chassis kit discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second these:
IEC is good
Fuseholder on the back

One question: Hammondtransformer,
do we talk about the Hammond 370BX ?

kosi said:
I second these:
IEC is good
Fuseholder on the back

One question: Hammondtransformer,
do we talk about the Hammond 370BX ?

Yes :)

But I think the form factor of the hammond 370BX might also fit other transformers.

On the older Pultecs Pulse techniques used the Chicago PCC55 which is rated 270V-0V-270V  -  so 540VCT
Later they switched to the Triad R-7A which is rated 300V-0V-300V - 600 VCT

With my own Pultec I used the PSC 55 which is the same as the PCC55 - only that it has terminals instead of lead wires and with my upcoming (also true-to-the-original) Pultec MEQ-5  I use the Triad R-7A but only because I found one for next to nothing.
Both of the above mentioned are with single 115V primary only, so only for the US builders or those who use a good voltage converter ;)

So I'd suggest we go with the Hammond 370BX - it's universal.

Gentlemen,

the feeler will end in 3 days. I received so many email of people thinking about jumping the boat to join us -
if you don't want to miss the boat you should decide soon ;)

I'll take
-2x case
- 2x knob set
- 2x adapter plate set (for Sowter IN + INTERSTAGE + output)
-2x Peerless S217D (Do you want me to post this in the Transformer thread or does this count?)

One last thing before I give the final design to the manufacturer:

I asked you about the IEC plug and only a few answered but everyone agreed that I should do an IEC plug.
If I do one I would go for one with included fuse holder or do you want a separate fuse holder?
A separate fuse holder would still give it a little closer look to the original, but using an IEC connector will move it a
little bit towards the looks of the reissue anyway...
...But you're sure about not including XLR connectors right?

The reissue has XLR connectors but my chassis has a terminal strip like the vintage one.

In the end YOU have to decide, because it'll be your chassis.

If it was me - I would stick a 100% to the vintage unit - just like I did with my personal prototype: No IEC, No XLRs  8)

So if anybody reads this before I collected all the funds and proceed with the production of the chassis, let me know what you think...

I agree with previous post,
XLR &IEC, regarding fuse holder it doesn´t matter if it´s separate or included in the IEC.

But if most people prefer more true to the original that´s OK for me as well.

If I have an IEC anyway, I could live with a built in fuse holder. Why have another hole in the chassis ?
Also would prefer XLR.  I have an original 1176 F Revision and I built  XLR connectors in it, I didn't like the adaptor cables hanging around in the back of my rack.
For me, the most important thing is the sound, then the look from the front of my rack.

But, like the others said, it's not a deal breaker, if things happen the other way.

Ok, I can do XLRs.

But actually you don't need any adapters with the screw terminal - you can just screw in the bare wires or use wire terminals ;)
Then you save 4x XLR connectors - multiplied with the number of gear equipped with screw terminals that can be a lot of money hahaha!  ;D

Anyway, I'll do XLRs since it seems it is the preferred option ;)

So... since there will soon be few of us who will have the original-ish chassis... and since you (Martin) have at least one unit already made... I have some questions regarding the assembly:
- did you follow any layout (ie cayocosta) or did you follow original schematics? (would you mind draw/share the drawing of your layout?)
- how did you make the passive filters (any pic from inside filter box?)
- which inductor to use? (Sowter, Cinemag, forthcoming recreation of original  ::) )
- what interstage tx options are there ? (beside original Triad... anyway, does anybody have any spare HS29s?) any tested option?
These are the question that crossed my mind for now. I'm sure there will be many others...  :)

Thanks in advance!

(if this is inappropriate subject please move the post to the right one)

bancho said:
So... since there will soon be few of us who will have the original-ish chassis... and since you (Martin) have at least one unit already made... I have some questions regarding the assembly:
- did you follow any layout (ie cayocosta) or did you follow original schematics? (would you mind draw/share the drawing of your layout?)
- how did you make the passive filters (any pic from inside filter box?)
- which inductor to use? (Sowter, Cinemag, forthcoming recreation of original  ::) )
- what interstage tx options are there ? (beside original Triad... anyway, does anybody have any spare HS29s?) any tested option?
These are the question that crossed my mind for now. I'm sure there will be many others...  :)

Thanks in advance!

(if this is inappropriate subject please move the post to the right one)

I followed the original schematics when building my unit and used some pics of vintage Pultecs for orientation in terms of wiring and component placement, but Cayacosta's layout can certainly be helpful for reconfirming component values and connections.
I will provide you with some useful info on building the filter units when it's time - it's not too difficult actually.
I used an inductor from vintage windings in the US. I think they're as close to original as you can get at the moment. Chris knows a lot about Pultecs and he was very helpful with all my questions.
Also I'm getting a brand new inductor from don-audio next week for testing and comparing - which Aaron said is also a great choice for the EQP-1A.
I used an HS-29 in my build as interstage, but they're extremely rare! Before I found it I also asked the same question here and the answer was that either the Sowter replacement or the UTC-A16 would be a good choice. When using the A16 you will have to drill some extra mounting holes since the Triad has 2 mounting studs and the UTC has 4. For the Sowter I offer an adapter plate.
I will also try to give you a good photo documentary on how I built my own EQP-1A

By the way: The chassis are ordered and I also took the chance to order the prototype chassis for my upcoming project...the Pultec MEQ-5  ;D 8)

Just a quick heads up for you guys.
I actually had asked the manufacturer to do the front panels first - including powder coating, and do the rest of the chassis afterwards, because then figured I can use the time to have the front panels silk screened while the back chassis were made.

Today the manufacturer called me that because, the last chassis they made for me had the front panel RAL7035 powder coated (LA2A) they did the Pultecs in the same color by mistake :(
They said they will make new front panels immediately with the correct Pultec powder coating - and they will do it express, but still this causes a slight delay.

The good news is that the back chassis is already in production at the moment and should be done soon.

But in the end we'll have to wait until the front panels will be silk screened.

In case anybody wants to have his Pultec front panel in LA2A color just let me know - since we have plenty of them now  ;D

I'll keep you posted
Martin

Latest posts

Back