rainton's True To The Original PULTEC EQP1-A chassis kit discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Martin,
do you sell the "wrong" faceplates ? I could be interested in 2 for a different project.

Any news on the transformers ?

thank you very much :)

Andreas

kosi said:
Hey Martin,
do you sell the "wrong" faceplates ? I could be interested in 2 for a different project.

Any news on the transformers ?

thank you very much :)

Andreas

I haven't quite thought about it yet Andreas - I guess I'll try to figure it out after I know how the manufacturer wants to deal with it and if they're really handing me out all the erroneous panels...
I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more about it :)

regarding the transformers: They were ordered with Cinemag and paid for May 10th and have a lead time of 4-5 weeks.
David will let me know when they ship ;)

Since the group buys for Rainton's LA-2a and Pultec EQP-1a chassis are well under way, purchasers of these chassis may want to consider joining the Facebook group intended support the buildup up of these projects.
Use link for invitation. Note group is only open to members of one the chassis.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615927638648181/?ref=browser

I talked to the manufacturer today.
They could rescue the front panels and have them coated in the right color :)
They are at the silk screener's already for the print and estimated for delivery June 17th-June 20th.

The rest of the chassis is manufactured and being powder coated at the moment. ETA is beginning of next week.
The transformers were ordered on May 10th and have a lead time of 4-5 weeks, so they should be finished very soon as well!!
Those who ordered one or two living in the US or Canada will receive the transformers directly from Cinemag, the rest is gonna be shipped over here to my address and I'll add them to your chassis packages ;)

So it's all coming together and I'm very excited. I hope everything will work out as expected.

BTW: one member ran into some incidentals and would like to sell his two Pultec chassis kits including knobs & transformers - so if you thought about jumping the train, but missed it so far, this is your your chance! If interested please let me know

Ladies - the chassis have arrived  8)

Since Don Audio is taking care of the entire shipping of the chassis for me now - only one chassis was shipped to my place and the rest is going to don-audio directly but the one that arrived here looks gorgeous!!  :)

Even better than my prototype I think.

The color of the back chassis is slightly darker than my prototype due to the group buy unit being powder coated and my prototype was spray painted but it looks very cool!

I put all parts together - tested all cutouts for fitting of the components and it all fits together perfectly!

So I'm sure the other chassis look just as good!

The advantage for you guys about Don-Audio taking care of the shipments is:

1. he's the one providing the knobs so he can add them directly while preparing the chassis for shipment
2. he can ship all 25 chassis within 1-2 days (since I'm working in my studio full-time it took me 1-2 weeks in the past ;))

I'll try to take some pics tonight and post them.

Now for those of you who also ordered Cinemag S217D output transformers - I just got in touch with David yesterday asking for an ETA. In the beginning he said lead time would be 4-5 weeks - I ordered 6 weeks ago.
He told me that it took them a little longer and the transformers will be ready for shipping by the end of next week.

So I suggest for those of you who ordered both - chassis and transformers, I will hold back the chassis until the transformers arrived, and have everything shipped together...

Also the prototype chassis for my upcoming Pultec MEQ5 project has arrived... ;D
So I guess I'll start the build now

stay tuned
Martin

that's fantastic news
again thanks so much for doing this !!!

starting to look for Sowter 9330 interstage transformers, I need to know, wether I need threaded grommet style or color coded leads ?
I guess the threaded grommet, as the TX will be mounted on the backside ?

kosi said:
that's fantastic news
again thanks so much for doing this !!!

starting to look for Sowter 9330 interstage transformers, I need to know, wether I need threaded grommet style or color coded leads ?
I guess the threaded grommet, as the TX will be mounted on the backside ?

Exactly! ;)

If somebody here wants to sell his place for this, i'm interrested. Thank you
If unappropriated, just delete the message...

I promised I would upload some pics of the finished chassis, so here we go :)

From the front with the 2 filter enclosures and bottom + lid:
rj2s1v.jpg

from the back:

2vi5oj4.jpg

and once more with filter units and lid mounted:

348t6wx.jpg

BTW this chassis on the pics has a cutout for a screw terminal instead of XLRs, but it's a special order for my friend and fellow forum member fishdrop.

All of your chassis have cutouts for XLRs since that's what most of you wanted.
As mentioned before all chassis but the one shown above were sent to don audio directly were they get prepared for shipment - so I took pictures of the one I have here. ;)

We were still waiting on some knobs for the kit but I was informed they will arrive tomorrow. So we finally can start shipping the chassis to those of you who didn't order a transformer (or live in the US or Canada where the transformers will be delivered directly by Cinemag)!

I hope you like them.
Thanks for your patience guys!
Martin

Just FYI guys,

The chassis have shipped to all of those who didn't order Cinemag S-217d transformers, or live in the US or Canada (since the transformers will be shipped to US and Canada citizens directly by Cinemag)

If you want your tracking number please let me know!

I hope you like them - I think they came out great!

Cinemag has finally shipped the transformers today :)

it was shipped DHL express so it shouldn't take too long.
For more info check the transformers thread...

Hey guys,
I'm preparing a White Market thread at the moment where I'll offer my chassis, so I renamed this thread to remain the place to discuss all build related questions and discussion

Martin

I plan to make my pair with Allen Bradley carbon comp all the way...good or bad idea ?..
I plan to build the filter units with tropical fish capacitors, would it be stupid ?
Ty
Hugo

hugo said:
I plan to make my pair with Allen Bradley carbon comp all the way...good or bad idea ?..
I plan to build the filter units with tropical fish capacitors, would it be stupid ?
Ty
Hugo

This is an excellent question!
I was going to make a FB page topic about it.
To NOS or not.
I purchased many NOS capacitors for eqp1a and meq5.
They really drifted a lot.
That being said, originals would have drifted as much and some people find them the best!
Do you use them? Do you use NOS that are within tolerance?

I read an interesting article on the topic. One explains, resistors merely resist. You can't create "tone".
What you may be liking is the out of tolerance resistors and capacitors creating what some say is magical.

So I'm with Hugo.
Do we NOS or new metal film and quality caps or a mixed bag?

Hi all,
I am looking for french guys involved in Rainton's projects, to combine ordering for us parts..separately the shipping cost is really huge.... see ya

I'm interested in combined shipping for the cinemag output transformer and the vintagewindings inductor. What is that facebook group you talk about?

I already have all rare tranfo (HS-29, hs-56V,  S-217D), i bought inductors from Don-audio (little bit affraid with that choice but we will see), i also have those  switchcraft 2 way toggles and ceramic rotary switches.

I'm searching partners to order together:

- Can capacitors caps
- Terminal strips
- Potentiometers
- Power transformers
- 0,25uf 400v  capacitors (aerovox)

Back