Lead Free Solder not Shiny...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnie7

We are using Qualitek Eutectic solder NC600 - Sn95 Ag4/Cu .5 - 21 awg and it's not shiny. No where near as shiny as Ersin Multicore 63/37. Is this anything to worry about? Using a 40 watt Weller WP-40 iron. Should we use the Qualitek Lead free or Ersin Leaded solder? This is for PCB work on console strips. It also leaves a bit of residue on the boards. Anything else to lookout for? Thanks everyone.
Report message to a moderator

I have had the same experience with the lead free stuff. I was not getting good results repairing TV tuners with it, so I ended up switching back to the Kester stuff that I like.

its annoying when you are looking out for bad solder joints to have a bunch of dull ones in there too from the lead free stuff!

There are excellent reasons to avoid exposure to lead. It makes adults cranky and sick, it makes children stupid. You don't want to eat lead paint, stand over a vat of molten lead all day, sniff leaded-gas car exhaust, etc.

But nobody has ever shown much lead exposure doing hand-soldering of electronic parts with a fan. Even in factory assembly where they do MANY more joints a day than we technicians do.

Me, I'm keeping my good old poison lead solder, and plan to use it in electronics whenever I need to. However your health is your own decision.

I'd much rather use lead in water plumbing, but there the evidence does say it is a Bad Idea. In my current home, everything is 50 years old and all lead-solder copper (and lead-pipe drains!), but if I had a lead-free home I would use the no-lead crap.

Latest posts

Back