Re: EZ Tube Mixer Support Thread
« Reply #380 on: October 25, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
My tube mixer came alive today.....  Thank you Ian for your fantastic support!

« Reply #381 on: October 25, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »
and with a proper recorder....

wave

« Reply #382 on: October 25, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
Awesome work!!

ruffrecords

« Reply #383 on: October 25, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
Absolutely brilliant. Well done. Looks like Holger has some competition now!!

Cheers

Ian

Timjag

« Reply #384 on: October 25, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
This is just awesome! I'm going to do it when I get some ££ for the trannies

80hinhiding

« Reply #385 on: November 03, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »
My tube mixer came alive today.....  Thank you Ian for your fantastic support!

Congratulations!!

I bet it pairs great with the Studer.

Adam

Rocinante

« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2017, 08:42:33 AM »
Wow. Awesome
If there's a harder way to do this, I haven't found it yet.

wave

« Reply #387 on: November 16, 2017, 01:13:32 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm considering using the Hi-Z relay driven input for the single channel I'm building right now.
Has anyone else added the Hi-Z input? I have a suitable 12V rail I can use (I'm driving other relays that I have added) and I would like to keep it simple by just having a switched jack. I'm thinking it has to be a "make" type jack as I need to energize the relay to use the Hi-Z in. I have a version 3 PCB so should I add external diode and filter cap for this relay?
Or is it just easier to use a dedicated push button or toggle to drive the relay?

I appreciate all opinions!

Thanks,
Dave

ruffrecords

« Reply #388 on: November 17, 2017, 04:52:08 AM »
The relay was added because a lot of people said they would like an option for a DI input but I do not know if anyone has ever actually used it. The reason a relay was used is to ensure the signal path for the mic signal is kept as short as possible. As it is a high impedance circuit it can be prone to interference. The 'normal' way to do a DI is to run a screened cable from the mic transformer secondary to a switched jack socket on the front panel and then a screened lead from there to the first tube input. You don't need a relay for this but the long screened cable can pick up interference and its capacitance may alter the high frequency response. Despite this, a lot of DI are done this way and I have done them this way myself on the Classic Solo board with no ill effects.

If you use the relay it will need a diode to catch the back emf and I would recommend you feed the supply via a small value resistor and connect an  electrolytic capacitor from the end of the resistor to the relay supply 0V.

Chees

Ian