Built custom channel for Soundcraft Boards (SSL like)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xarolium

Dear Soundiyer,

Since a couple of day i'm working on a project (still prototyping and testing).
I would like to build custom channel for my Soundcraft 600 series. The goal is to get a more complete channel wit parametric EQ, gate, high end Mic pre, phase swith, all aux pots and more.
The thing is that i would like this channel could be use in other Soundcraft console like 6000, 8000, 200B, 400... that people who want one could use it in our console.
So if anybody there got one of this console, i need faceplate channel dimension, only external size not complete holes positions ;).

So what about the channel:
-Mic pre should be Neve or Studer 169 (i don't know now, tell me what you think about that)
-Usual LINE, PHASE, +48v button
-A Gate like the D&R gate. Quite simple and do the job quite well
- Low pass and HighPass filter with variable frequency: the one of the Lafond chroma is perfect
-Four Band or Three band depend on the faceplate size: Inspired by the Sontec M250 made by Igor
- Six auxiliary. Each could pre or Post
-Big know for mute and solo like the one on SSL board
-Complete routing by relay with possibility to switch element order like EQ before Gate...
-8 to 24 busses routing depending which console you get.
-Penny gilles 100mm fader to replace ALPS one.

The project is to build a complete PCB who can match with different Soundcraft consoles or others...
I got lot of contact in electronic industry like PCB manufacturer, Pot manufacturer, Faceplate printer... so it will not be a big deal to make 100pcs of this Channel. The thing is that i need to know if you are in ?, cause it's a big project and i will be very happy to get your opinion and share experiences about Audio DIY.

Cost know: I think a complete channel (knobs, transformer, pots, faceplates) should be around 300€ . The most expensive parts are transformer and mechanical parts like relay, switches, knobs...

So waiting for your back if you got one soundcraft console like 6000, 8000, 200B, 400 series i need dimension first and schematic to compare busses connectors.

:)

Hi,

Delta/Venue compatibility would be great.
I could supply measurements and pinout of the ribbon cable.

Im In!

I have Soundcraft 200b and always try to do it something with this mixer!

Studer 169 Pre will be great for it, I have Studer 169 preQ from Audiox and sound great!!!

I have manual for Soundcraft 200b I can send it to your mail!!!

And everything is in it!!!

hi
so nice project ,

considered must compete with various options
i found around googling about consoles ,

like a guy that sell soundcraft 3200 kit parts for sidecar desk ,
http://forum.analogconsole.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2319
that include: channels strips , pcbs , power supply , metal parts , cables , vu meters, etc..
for very good price ,
like for a kit that include :
16ch strips+pcbs+1 power supply+16sifam vu meters with front metal plate,etc...
it ask around 1000 bucks ,

other options i found around the web are
neve v series full channel strip (pre+eq+comp-lim+busses+small fader)for around 400 bucks
and same or less for ssl 4000 ch strips
etc.....
r.

xarolium said:
Dear Soundiyer,

Since a couple of day i'm working on a project (still prototyping and testing).
I would like to build custom channel for my Soundcraft 600 series. The goal is to get a more complete channel wit parametric EQ, gate, high end Mic pre, phase swith, all aux pots and more.
The thing is that i would like this channel could be use in other Soundcraft console like 6000, 8000, 200B, 400... that people who want one could use it in our console.
So if anybody there got one of this console, i need faceplate channel dimension, only external size not complete holes positions ;).

So what about the channel:
-Mic pre should be Neve or Studer 169 (i don't know now, tell me what you think about that)
-Usual LINE, PHASE, +48v button
-A Gate like the D&R gate. Quite simple and do the job quite well
- Low pass and HighPass filter with variable frequency: the one of the Lafond chroma is perfect
-Four Band or Three band depend on the faceplate size: Inspired by the Sontec M250 made by Igor
- Six auxiliary. Each could pre or Post
-Big know for mute and solo like the one on SSL board
-Complete routing by relay with possibility to switch element order like EQ before Gate...
-8 to 24 busses routing depending which console you get.
-Penny gilles 100mm fader to replace ALPS one.

The project is to build a complete PCB who can match with different Soundcraft consoles or others...
I got lot of contact in electronic industry like PCB manufacturer, Pot manufacturer, Faceplate printer... so it will not be a big deal to make 100pcs of this Channel. The thing is that i need to know if you are in ?, cause it's a big project and i will be very happy to get your opinion and share experiences about Audio DIY.

Cost know: I think a complete channel (knobs, transformer, pots, faceplates) should be around 300€ . The most expensive parts are transformer and mechanical parts like relay, switches, knobs...

So waiting for your back if you got one soundcraft console like 6000, 8000, 200B, 400 series i need dimension first and schematic to compare busses connectors.

:)

Gilbert said:
I have a Soundcraft TS-12. Would be really cool if it could work with it, and I'd be interested for sure!

Gilbert,
Could you measure the size of the channel faceplate on your TS12? i would like to know if it fit with 600 channel.
Do you have also schematic of it?

iprovlek said:
Im In!

I have Soundcraft 200b and always try to do it something with this mixer!

Studer 169 Pre will be great for it, I have Studer 169 preQ from Audiox and sound great!!!

I have manual for Soundcraft 200b I can send it to your mail!!!

And everything is in it!!!

Same thing for you iprovlek.
Could you tell me channel faceplate dimension of the 200B ? i already have schematics ;)

livingloud said:
Hi,

Delta/Venue compatibility would be great.
I could supply measurements and pinout of the ribbon cable.

Same thing too. Dimension and schematics if you got it ?

So i have got some more precise idea:
-Mic amp will be Amec mozart
-a dedicated line amp based on modern OPA design (like OPA1642...)
-Comp/Gate will not fit on the channel (not enough space)
-EQ will be 3 complete parametric (lafond audio labs Chroma) + HF and LF variable
-6 aux with 6 potentiometers (SC600/500, Delta, TS12 all have 6 aux so no problem with buss connector only 200B have 4 aux...)
First prototype should be ready quite soon ;)

The faceplate for the TS12 channel is 1.5" x  25"
Here is a link to the schematic
http://soundcraft.com.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/user-guides/TS12-User-Guide-1012.pdf

Here is what the channel will look like.
Any suggestions are welcome
27283242133_9b96af22c1_h.jpg

The customs channel only use 8 busses as the TS12 has 12 busses so it will not match with or i could add two more routing switches...

So. After a long reflection i decided to design a SSL channel like (without comp/gate due to channel size)
Mic pre will be SSL9K (the first one then SSL4K transformer mic pre).
EQ will be lafond audio labs chroma parametric EQ with a SSL mod (x3 and /3 frequency)
This channel will match with soundcraft 500, 600, 800, 6000, 8000, 200B.
So if you want to upgrade your soundcraft to an SSL like board let me know  ;)
Here is schematic (any advices are welcome) PFL and leds are missing on this schematic. I'm thinking to add Pan buffer OPA, a VCA instead of a simple fader, a FET switching between line an mic source and maybe a FET switching for AUXes ...
Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• SC600 customs channel v1.0 SSL9K Mic pre.pdf
    129.5 KB · Views: 242
Hi everybody,

I come back with some news of my customs soundcraft 600 channel named e906.
i just receive the panels and it look great (Panel dimension is 483mm x 34mm). I'm still waiting for the PCBs .
Tell me if you still are interested about this custom channel that i can update PCBs to match your soundcraft console
Attached picture are schematic, PCBs and panel pictures.
Schematic comment are welcom !
Enjoy ;)

Wow. That's really impressive. Like all of it. Good job man, damn.  I unfortunately use a Ghost but this is a real treat for 600 owners.

hi

awesome project

ive been modding out my sc 6000..

but this looks even more awesome !!!

im in for a few channels if this is possible :)

vintagegear said:
hi

awesome project

ive been modding out my sc 6000..

but this looks even more awesome !!!

im in for a few channels if this is possible :)

I finally get the PCB's, five pieces at the moment. I'm still looking for the dual Gang 2,5kohm Mic gain potentiometer.
I will post picture of the PCB soon. Stay tune !

How many channel you need ?

Latest posts

Back