Built custom channel for Soundcraft Boards (SSL like)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here they are !
PCB and faceplate match perfectly.
I receive potentiometers too. Still waiting for the dual gang 2k5  ;)

31437181233_d47d5942d4_c.jpg

31406224554_3ac172b74b_c.jpg

31437186093_a941347913_c.jpg

this is awesome!!!

I am at the begining of moding my SC600 and I would love to incorporate a few of these channels as well!

so if I understand it works with the original desk?

if so are you going to sell the pannels and pcb?

dario84 said:
this is awesome!!!

I am at the begining of moding my SC600 and I would love to incorporate a few of these channels as well!

so if I understand it works with the original desk?

if so are you going to sell the pannels and pcb?

Dario,

The channel is in stand by now due to the impossibility to find the 2.5K potentiometer.
I'm thinking to replace the SSL4000 transistor Preamp by the 82E01 transformer Preamp.

Tell me how many channel you want ?

xarolium said:
Dario,

The channel is in stand by now due to the impossibility to find the 2.5K potentiometer.
I'm thinking to replace the SSL4000 transistor Preamp by the 82E01 transformer Preamp.

Tell me how many channel you want ?

I would take two! are you from europe?

D

Hi, I just came across this posting. Nice work! Did you ever find any dual gang 2.5k potentiometers?  If you are going to make these in large quantities, you could contact a manufacturer and have them make the pots for you. They probably have at least a 500 piece minimum but you could search around and maybe get less.

-Al

xarolium said:

People use a 2.2K Rev Log pot for the SSL9K preamp, the only source I know of that pot is audiomaintenance:

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/om%2d01%2d073%5fextended%5finfo.html

It tooks me a year to "finish" this project  (to many project at home... Anyway ;))

So here i am. My first prototype is fully working, Preamp, EQ, routing everything work  ;D ;D

37898384105_6fe0b6787e_c.jpg

37898375635_aeff4f99ca_c.jpg

38753814592_9c7d9f5a33_c.jpg

27009220829_a436c1d0cb_c.jpg

23919967287_4fcb967b3c_c.jpg

23919971967_8560f12347_c.jpg

I decided to update a little bit the channel and add some option like  24 busses, Group input and Mute/Solo control and group via MIDI or with a  "rebuild" master channel.

here is the design of the new channel: PAN and ODD/EVEN switch added near Pan potentiometer  to select busses and BUS switch on the top to use the channel as a bus/group.
38068661454_14850b51b4_b.jpg

I think i will make a kit include PCB, Panel, Potentiometer, knobs and switches.
Price will be around 150€ to 200€ ex shipping

Anybody want one ? ;)

Whoops said:
Congratulations for your work.
Amazing stuff

So what preamp circuit did you use in the end?

The preamp is the SSL9K  but with a LM394 instead of a MAT-02 and it works like a charm.

Next prototype with 24 Busses are ready to go in PCB production ;)

xarolium said:
The preamp is the SSL9K but with a LM394 instead of a MAT-02 and it works like a charm.

Same thing, both transistors are dual matched type, they are interchangeable

Not exactly the same specs, but I've built SSL9K preamps with both without noticing any diference

Last edited:
Couple of questions. Are the push buttons mounted on one side of the PCB and the pots on the other. Is the faceplate a U shape or an L shape? Is it made of steel?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Couple of questions. Are the push buttons mounted on one side of the PCB and the pots on the other. Is the faceplate a U shape or an L shape? Is it made of steel?

Cheers

Ian

Push buttons and potentiometers are mounted on both side of the PCB. The face plate is a 1.2mm U shape Aluminium sheet.

xarolium said:
Push buttons and potentiometers are mounted on both side of the PCB. The face plate is a 1.2mm U shape Aluminium sheet.
That is very interesting. I have seen U shaped channels in steel but not aluminium. Who makes them for you?

Cheers

Ian

john12ax7 said:
Is the U shape for mechanical strength? Is a simple flat panel not strong enough?

Over that length it is definitely not strong enough - even steel would most likely not be strong enough - the EELA mixer I recently acquired have steel U shaped channels over 12 inches long.

Cheers

Ian

Back