Making pultec solid state eq?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldsnow

OK, I'm sure I'm going to sound like an idiot here. Sorry in advance. I'm thinking of making a small mixer using an easy FET curcuit that was in tape op a while back. Runs on +24. Anyways, I wanted to add a simple eq for boosting hi and low end. Would placing the G Pultec passive eq section in front of the inputs work? Since it is passive does that mean it isn't powered and the amp would be the summing amp?
Again sorry if I sound like a dumb a##.

well, the summing amp would be for your mixing network which you need with or without an eq.

the pultec is passive and has insertion loss which you'll need to make up, if you search here I know the insertion loss has been discussed, I think it may be 18dB. To do it right, you'd have a makeup amp for the loss of the eq in addition to the mic pre for more neutral gain staging, the sound of that hamptone amp changes a lot at different gains...

dave

That helps guys thanks. Actually it would be a line level not mic pre level but it sounds like I would need to put a FET gain stage on each channel to make it work. So I'm correct in saying that no AC power is provided to the eq section. I looked at the schematics and that is the way it looked to me but again I don't know a whole lot.

I think you could just make one passive EQ section for each channel, then follow it with the passive mixing network and then use just one gain make up, very high gain, to bring it back to line level. You will have both the EQ filter AND the the passive mixing network ATTENUATING the signal, so you will need a very high gain amp after this... I don´t know if you will have interaction problems between channels thoght. Probably yes, but maybe just a little, and not so bad.

Latest posts

Back