Effect of dil sockets in noise and inductance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi All!

I'm about to complete stufing my last mixer prototype, and as a prototype i need to use sockets to try different opamps.
I ordered mc33078, ne5532, lm4562, and line drivers and receivers... (DIP8), surrounded by smd caps and melf resistors...

As the bandwidth of all the audio stages is limited to below 100khz,  i would like to know if i should worry too much about socket pin inductance... or how can i measure it with a scope..

thank you for your advise!

JAY X

Up until near the end of the last century at my former day job we socketed all thru-hole IC's. I am not aware of any performance issues.

We stopped using them to reduce cost as reliability increased, but the transition to SMD chips made sockets academic.

JR

Hi John!

Ok, so maybe those noise issues are more related to high frequencies in the mhz range...

JAY X said:
Hi John!

Ok, so maybe those noise issues are more related to high frequencies in the mhz range...

For audio-range stuff, sockets are really only a reliability issue. You have to spend the money for the really good machine-pin sockets.

For modern digital with fast edge rates, well, there's a reason it's all surface mount.

-a

Opamps are generally ok but as it is always the case, best to consult the data sheet.

For example THAT does not recommend 1240 series line drivers to be socketed.
http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/THAT_1240-Series_Datasheet.pdf

Latest posts

Back